Vampire bite with no warning or knowledge.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2380 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

10 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

The vampire only collects the soul if they are the first one to bite the human after the hud is worn by the victim.

Only souls that have been taken thru the hud that the human wears count for the vampires rank and standing.

Actually, according to this - "You will get the soul of every vampire who you are the first to bite. If you are the first person to bite someone who hasn't joined Bloodlines, you will get their soul only when they purchase the system. " - from their website Guide, the vampire can collect your soul even if you don't get the HUD until long after the bite.  I'm assuming then that if you are bit without the HUD, your soul goes to the Abyss, but if you later decide to get the HUD, the original first biter will get your soul from the Abyss.

58 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Actually, according to this - "You will get the soul of every vampire who you are the first to bite. If you are the first person to bite someone who hasn't joined Bloodlines, you will get their soul only when they purchase the system. " - from their website Guide, the vampire can collect your soul even if you don't get the HUD until long after the bite.  I'm assuming then that if you are bit without the HUD, your soul goes to the Abyss, but if you later decide to get the HUD, the original first biter will get your soul from the Abyss.

Not quite. Yes, your soul is in the abyss if you are bit and aren't wearing the hud. However, the first person to bite you after you wear the hud gets your soul. It can be a different vampire from the original biter.

12 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Not quite. Yes, your soul is in the abyss if you are bit and aren't wearing the hud. However, the first person to bite you after you wear the hud gets your soul. It can be a different vampire from the original biter.

This part seems to contradict what you are saying -- "If you are the first person to bite someone who hasn't joined Bloodlines, you will get their soul only when they purchase the system.

That says that if I'm in Bloodlines and I'm the first to bite person X who is not part of Bloodlines, I will still be the one to get their soul when they do purchase the system (assuming they do so at all).

1 minute ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

This part seems to contradict what you are saying -- "If you are the first person to bite someone who hasn't joined Bloodlines, you will get their soul only when they purchase the system.

That says that if I'm in Bloodlines and I'm the first to bite person X who is not part of Bloodlines, I will still be the one to get their soul when they do purchase the system (assuming they do so at all).

It looks like you might be right. Lets use Phils case as an example. He was bitten by Rhea Sands on 8/23/2008.

That's the only bite he ever received. His friend LittleAbs bought him the hud 02/09/2014, he wore it , and I assume the original biter got his soul since LittleAbs never bit him. At this point she would use a soul reaper to transfer the soul from the original biter (Rhea Sands) to her.

from the guide:  Your first attacker will receive your soul when you join the game, unless you drink the Wormwood potion before you join, then the next person to attack you after you join will receive your soul.

Thats what vamps usually do, but I guess LittleAbs chose the soul reaper option.

7 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

because the bloody annoying biters think they get the soul by just biting... but forget it only works when the bitten one wears one of the huds.

The real biter will pay the hud... but the annoying ones just run.

Another thing can be, a bite delivers a little bit of blood to the biter, if he's too lazy to work for protection, or buy his own needed amount of blood, will only need to bite a few random people to have enough for some days.

As far as i know one bite gives enough blood for one day. Vampires suffer from "the curse" They have 5 L of blood, but every 24 hours they lose 1/4 Liter. One bite replenishes that much blood. After 20 days without feeding all their blood blood has gone and they are destroyed.

That's how Mars Bracken (the creator) makes so much money. It costs each vampire  $15 L a day to maintain their blood levels. I suspect many lieges fail to mention this fact to their new minions, so, having no money they are forced to wander places noobs congrate trying to bite them for a free fix.

• Moderators

Ladies and gentlemen,

It is Friday. The ONLY report in the system for the Forums is for this one. I was hoping to get through the day without any reports at all.  This makes me sad.

I am going to lock the thread, and let everyone have the weekend to settle down.

On Monday, I will peek through the reported posts and remove/warn if needed and then I will unlock the thread when I am done.

Please have a nice weekend all!

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

• Moderators

Greetings all!

I hope everyone had a most excellent weekend.  

I have tried to clean up this thread a bit, and yes, warnings have been issued, unfortunately.

A few things to remember:

1. Comments should remain on topic to the issues raised in the original post that started the thread. If you wish to discuss other topics, please be courteous and start your own thread.

2. Personal attacks and disputes are never appropriate.  If you wish to discuss a user's religious beliefs, please use an appropriate, non Second Life forum for discussing religion. 

3. The original issue raised by the OP was that he was included in a "game" that he finds offensive, without his consent.  Attacking the OP for being upset is not, and will never be, appropriate on the Second Life Community forums. 

4. As stated on Friday, this thread has been re-opened.  The OP raised valid concerns and issues regarding consent for games in Second Life, and that discussion should continue.

I hope everyone has a wonderful week.

• Thanks 3

Ok..so on the topic of "consent". 

1) How can a vampire "bite" you without asking permission to animate your avatar?  Did I miss something?

2) Or does the "bitten" just get a message that they have been "bitten" with no "consent" or biting animation? 

If it is #2, then I think the parameters of the "bite" are far enough outside the SL "game" (no animation, no permissions asked) that it can be ignored by anyone who is "bitten". *Edited* Or block the "biter" as an irritant. 

*Edited* If it is #1 - the user is asked permission to animate their avatar - and the "bite" only occurs if they give permission - then they are given "uninformed consent" if they are not told that they are about to be bitten. 

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Ok..so on the topic of "consent". 

1) How can a vampire "bite" you without asking permission to animate your avatar?  Did I miss something?

2) Or does the "bitten" just get a message that they have been "bitten" with no "consent" or biting animation? 

If it is #2, then I think the parameters of the "bite" are far enough outside the SL "game" (no animation, no permissions asked) that it can be ignored by anyone who is "bitten". *Edited* Or block the "biter" as an irritant. 

*Edited* If it is #1 - the user is asked permission to animate their avatar - and the "bite" only occurs if they give permission - then they are given "uninformed consent" if they are not told that they are about to be bitten. 

most likely it's progeny, thats not asking for permission, and has no animation, and is also not visitble for non players

you don't know you'r bitten, unless you'r a player yourself, of a player tells you.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

most likely it's progeny, thats not asking for permission, and has no animation, and is also not visitble for non players

you don't know you'r bitten, unless you'r a player yourself, of a player tells you.

So with all the SL "in-game" indicators gone..it is essentially Role Play. Translation: Someone "told" you that you were "bitten". 

I do believe, that if there is a Role Play going on and you don't "consent" to the Role Play, then you can ignore it.  Just my opinion.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

So with all the SL "in-game" indicators gone..it is essentially Role Play. Translation: Someone "told" you that you were "bitten". 

I do believe, that if there is a Role Play going on and you don't "consent" to the Role Play, then you can ignore it.  Just my opinion.

Progeny has huds, but they don't interact with non players. As a progeny vampire I could harvest blood or souls or whatever from non players around me but only me and other players would know about it.

The Bloodlines hud interacts with non players, and thats where the problem lies.

As for RP, its always been my personal opinion that an emoted action doesn't actually happen until I respond to it.

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
moved personal from after opinion to before
  • Like 2

So let me sum up my involvement in Bloodlines and this thread.

In 2008 I allowed someone to bite me, just to stop people from asking for a bite.

in 2014 I agreed to wear the HUD just one very brief time, so that a new friend could acquire my soul. Since that action, Bloodlines has called me an active member. They have always been wrong about that, and they still are, but I suppose they have no desire to reduce the numbers just for the sake of truth. They can call me what they want, I don't care one way or the other, but I've never been an active member of Bloodlines, regardless of what they call me.

To my mind, someone becomes a member of something because they want to be a member. I am a member of a table tennis club, for instance. They stop being a member when they cease to participate any more. For a few seconds in 2014 - literally - I probably was a member of Bloodlines, but that only lasted a few seconds. And I have never participated, or been active, in their game. It's their choice to lie about me, but, apart from those few seconds, I have never been a member, and I have never been active in any of it.

Anyone who says that I am, or have ever been, an active member of Bloodlines is not telling the truth. It doesn't mean that they are lying. It just means they have been deceived by Bloodlines. What Bloodlines put in their pages is not proof of anything about the person. It merely shows what they have in their database. The best that anyone can say in that regard is that Bloodlines has me listed an as active member.

Note: It could well be that I haven't been pestered for a bite since 2008 because of Bloodline's database, and, if that's the case, then keep yer garlic things. My purpose in allowing the bite worked and I'm happy with things as they are :)

Edited by Phil Deakins

7 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

Note: It could well be that I haven't been pestered for a bite since 2008 because of Bloodline's database, and, if that's the case, the keep yer garlic things. My purpose in allowing the bite worked and I'm happy with thing as they are :)

But DUDE they got your SOUL lol :ph34r:

2 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

To my mind, someone becomes a member of something because they want to be a member. I am a member of table tennis club, for instance. They stop being a member when they cease to participate any more. For a few seconds in 2014 - literally - I probably was a member of Bloodlines, but that only lasted a few seconds. And I have never participated, or been active, in their game. It's their choice lie about me, but, apart from those few seconds, I have never been a member, and I have never been active in any of it.

Anyone who says that I am, or have ever been, an active member of Bloodlines is not telling the truth. The best that anyone can say in that regard is that Bloodlines has me listed an as active member.

There are various usages of the word active.  

If I vote in all or most of the various elections we have, then I consider myself an active voter.  However, per the voter registration, as long as I'm still living in that jurisdiction and on the voter rolls, they consider me an active voter whether or not I'm actually doing any voting.  

So a similar thing with Bloodlines.  Once you wear the HUD, they consider you active until such time as you wear the garlic to "officially" become inactive.

I don't really consider my county to be "lying" when they refer to me as an active voter - it is just a different usage/meaning/interpretation of the word.  Remember, we Americans like to reuse words many different ways, subtly changing the meaning all the time.

• Like 2

Voting only comes around every few years, so opportunities to be active are few and far between. It's perfectly reasonable to consider all those who voted in the last election as active, but I would consider them to be lying if they claimed me as an active voter if I hadn't voted in the last one. We don't have to tell them that we will no longer be an active voter. Not voting in an election says it. We always remain eligible voters but that's all.

Bloodlines, though, is ongoing 24/7 and, to be active, one must actually be active over a period of time. With such a thing, when a suitable period of time has elapsed with no more activity, say 6 months, then the person is not active any more and saying differently is lying.

SL is the same 24/7 operation. LL would be lying if they claimed that the millions of people who have registered since the start are active members of SL. There comes a time when no activity actually means not active.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

So let me sum up my involvement in Bloodlines and this thread.

In 2008 I allowed someone to bite me, just to stop people from asking for a bite.

in 2014 I agreed to wear the HUD just one very brief time, so that a new friend could acquire my soul. Since that action, Bloodlines has called me an active member. They have always been wrong about that, and they still are, but I suppose they have no desire to reduce the numbers just for the sake of truth. They can call me what they want, I don't care one way or the other, but I've never been an active member of Bloodlines, regardless of what they call me.

To my mind, someone becomes a member of something because they want to be a member. I am a member of a table tennis club, for instance. They stop being a member when they cease to participate any more. For a few seconds in 2014 - literally - I probably was a member of Bloodlines, but that only lasted a few seconds. And I have never participated, or been active, in their game. It's their choice to lie about me, but, apart from those few seconds, I have never been a member, and I have never been active in any of it.

Anyone who says that I am, or have ever been, an active member of Bloodlines is not telling the truth. The best that anyone can say in that regard is that Bloodlines has me listed an as active member.

Note: It could well be that I haven't been pestered for a bite since 2008 because of Bloodline's database, and, if that's the case, then keep yer garlic things. My purpose in allowing the bite worked and I'm happy with thing as they are :)

But Phil, if you a re member of Bar but don't practise does that mean you are no longer a lawyer?

Face it, you are one of those 'active' Bloodliners who are such a pain in the neck. ;)

Edited by Derek Torvalar
  • Haha 1

Just now, Phil Deakins said:

Voting only comes around every few years, so opportunities to be active are few and far between. It's perfectly reasonable to consider all those who voted in the most recent election as active, but I would consider them to be lying if they claimed me as an active voter if I hadn't voted in the most recent election. We don't have to tell them that we will no longer be an active voter. Not voting in an election says it.

Where I live we will often have some sort of election every year.  I would have to skip a few of them before I'd refer to myself as inactive.  However, around here, even if I don't vote for a decade, if I don't move and I don't officially take myself off of the voter list, then "to them" I am still considered an active voter.

There really are different ways of using a word in different areas of the world and that does not specifically mean someone is lying.

I agree that you are not an active Bloodlines player, but that still does not mean that by their definition that they are lying.    A loose definition of active is 'member' (re: I am still a member of my voter registration, thus they consider me active regardless of my actions).  Thus, a more accurate description of your status in Bloodlines would really be that you are "an inactive member" because once a member, only the garlic removes the membership entirely.

• Like 2

If your area of the world considers anyone who never votes, but is on the voting list, as 'active' then all I can say is that it is an incorrect use of the word. 'Eligible' is correct. 'Active' isn't. So I do consider the Bloodlines' term "active member" to be a lie in this case.

I agree with your last paragraph. I have no doubt that wearing the HUD for those few seconds caused me to become a member, even though it was not my desire, so your term, 'inactive member', would be accurate.

The way it was put across in this thread is that I am active member of Bloodlines, when I've never been such a thing. So I wanted to sum it up.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

Where can I check if I was bitten? I know one of my alts was definitely bitten by a rather charming vampire. :$

https://www.slbloodlines.com/ 

If you have never been bitten it will simply say no results found.

It used to be that you could web search "slbloodlines <username>" and find the person on the master bite list of the vampire that bit them, but they changed the website and now nothing shows up.

Searching the name in bloodlines will get you:

"This account has been deactivated. Accounts that have been deactivated by wearing The Garlic Necklace are now displayed as auto-generated names with the last names Immortalus, Maleficus, Damarchus, Grimm, or Miasmador."

So unless the search says no result found, the person searched was bitten at some point in the past. 

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
Changed things around for clarity

2 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

Where can I check if I was bitten? I know one of my alts was definitely bitten by a rather charming vampire. :$

1 hour ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Unless of course, like the OP, you were bitten in secret by that other vampire group.  Then you'll never know unless one of them tells you.

You know - getting back to the OP item of being bitten without ever knowing it:  Something about the fact that a vampire can bite people without them know or consenting or something just seems like a big part of the challenge has been removed from the game and thus that just seems sooooo wrong.  Though I suppose they could claim that the victim knew but then was subsequently charmed into forgetting it happened.  Heck, it's all make believe anyway.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

You know - getting back to the OP item of being bitten without ever knowing it:  Something about the fact that a vampire can bite people without them know or consenting or something just seems like a big part of the challenge has been removed from the game and thus that just seems sooooo wrong.  Though I suppose they could claim that the victim knew but then was subsequently charmed into forgetting it happened.  Heck, it's all make believe anyway.

I would think bloodlines would be way more interesting and challenging. 

I've lost track of how many vampires I've chased out of freebie malls by yelling at them after they sent me a bite request.

And lets not forget what one can do in response to a bite request in places where you can rezz.

*grins*

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2380 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.