Mesh Head and Mesh Body - Complete NOOB - help pls

FairytaleSheva

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2387 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi so I have been reading some o the other topics in the forum about mesh everything and honestly I am still confused. I am not very familiar with a lot of the terms used. 

I have bought a catwa mesh head and also a lara body from the same store but a different creator i suppose.

I put them on and the head distorts to a weird shape with the body and I have an outer layer of skin that doesn't match the hands and feet.

honestly I have no idea what I am doing AT ALL.  I often can't even set up things I have bought for my house.

Is there possibly a video or something I can watch that explains things? I am thinking if I visually see everything done it will help me understand since I don't seem to understand a lot of the terms being used in the forums.

Or if someone is able to just come and help me figure it out or something.. I don't know.

Help please lol!

Have you seen the tutorials on Mesh Body Addicts?

These two should help you get started and answer your problems.

Also, every mesh head will need its own custom shape.  They should include at least one shape if not several for you to start from.

11 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

Have you seen the tutorials on Mesh Body Addicts?

These two should help you get started and answer your problems.

Also, every mesh head will need its own custom shape.  They should include at least one shape if not several for you to start from.

No These aren't quite where i'm at yet. Before even trying to put on clothes I am having issues

The first thing you must do is to wear the body, hands, feet, head, and the full-coverage alpha layers that come with your mesh body and head.

Regarding the shape, you can always edit your shape (assuming it is modifiable; if not, wear one of the ones that came with your mesh body/head). Right-click your body, "appearance", "edit shape". You can then adjust your settings until they look right.

Regarding the skin, you can use the HUDs of your mesh body and head to set matching skin tones. That should be enough to get you started. At a later stage you can buy a compatible third-party skin that can be applied to both body and head, for a perfect match.

You have a top-quality set of mesh body parts, but it does take time to figure out how to use them effectively. Keep asking questions; that's what this forum is for.

Edited by angeoco

25 minutes ago, FairytaleSheva said:

No These aren't quite where i'm at yet. Before even trying to put on clothes I am having issues

I messed up my link somehow.

The first tutorial should be about the body, nit clothes.

http://meshbodyaddicts.com/mesh-body-tutorials/848-2/

It explains the different parts, what alph layers are and the basics about using a mesh body.

On 10/4/2017 at 12:33 AM, Markiz Sorbet said:

I'd be happy to help & answer questions about your new mesh stuff. Catch me inworld usually around 7pm SLT.

I am trying to figure out how to put on clothes before I go out in public looking for help lol. reading the links above for clothing. 

but I do really need help figuring out the head still

What do you mean with " distorted"?

What classic bodyshape are you wearing? The one that came with the body, which probably isn't setup for a mesh head? Or the one coming with the head? Or your own custom one, which might also need some adjustments to the head sliders to make a mesh head look right?

23 minutes ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

What do you mean with " distorted"?

What classic bodyshape are you wearing? The one that came with the body, which probably isn't setup for a mesh head? Or the one coming with the head? Or your own custom one, which might also need some adjustments to the head sliders to make a mesh head look right?

I got a Lara mesh body that I am wearing. and the head I am trying to wear is Kimberly Catwa head.

photo to show what I mean

2017-10-06 (1).png

Edited by FairytaleSheva

14 minutes ago, FairytaleSheva said:

also... sorry that i'm naked i'm still figuring out clothes lol

I strongly suggest that you crop that image so the boobs don't show, or your post will be removed by the moderators. This is a PG forum.

Fixes for your Catwa head issue

First: Make sure your graphics preferences are set to at least HIGH.

Second: Because of they way they're rigged to the facial bones, Catwa's Bento mesh heads cannot be worn over the top of a shape that isn't designed specifically for Catwa heads. You must wear the included 'starter shape' from your Catwa head folder, and then edit it accordingly. (If you want an example of how odd your face shape needs to be in order for a Catwa bento head to look 'normal', wear that starter shape, then take off your mesh head and the alpha that hides your system head. See how distorted and strange your system head looks with that shape? That's why the Catwa head will look 'wrong' and distorted if you try to put it on over a shape that looks 'normal' when it's only wearing a system skin.)

Third: If you like the shape that comes with your Maitreya body, then wear that shape, right-click it in your inventory and select 'Edit', then write down all of the slider numbers for the body sections (body, torso, legs, etc). Then, wear the Catwa starter shape, edit it, and change the body slider numbers to the ones that you wrote down from your Maitreya body. Save that as a new shape. You now have the Maitreya body settings set to the Catwa head starter shape. From there, you can start tweaking your face settings to personalise them and give you a more individual look.

I've written a beginner's guide to Catwa Bento heads here on my blog. It's geared toward men, so it focuses a lot on things such as tinting beards, etc, but it may help you to get to grips with the other basics of your head.

Edited by Skell Dagger

4 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

I strongly suggest that you crop that image so the boobs don't show, or your post will be removed by the moderators. This is a PG forum.

Second: Because of they way they're rigged to the facial bones, Catwa's Bento mesh heads cannot be worn over the top of a shape that isn't designed specifically for Catwa heads. You must wear the included 'starter shape' from your Catwa head folder, and then edit it accordingly. (If you want an example of how odd your face shape needs to be in order for a Catwa bento head to look 'normal', wear that starter shape, then take off your mesh head and the alpha that hides your system head. See how distorted and strange your system head looks with that shape? That's why the Catwa head will look 'wrong' and distorted if you try to put it on over a shape that looks 'normal' when it's only wearing a system skin.)

Third: If you like the shape that comes with your Maitreya body, then wear that shape, right-click it in your inventory and select 'Edit', then write down all of the slider numbers for the body sections (body, torso, legs, etc). Then, wear the Catwa starter shape, edit it, and change the body slider numbers to the ones that you wrote down from your Maitreya body. Save that as a new shape. You now have the Maitreya body settings set to the Catwa head starter shape. From there, you can start tweaking your face settings to personalise them and give you a more individual look.

I've written a beginner's guide to Catwa Bento heads here on my blog. It's geared toward men, so it focuses a lot on things such as tinting beards, etc, but it may help you to get to grips with the other basics of your head.

ok I changed the image. and I will try out your info. thnx

16 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

also.. is there a way of seeing what head works with that body mesh?

Now comes the fun part of editing shapes.

Actually, it can be fun once you get used to if.  For now, lets just work on the basics for getting a mesh head and a mesh body to cooperate.

Fist things first, ALWAYS WORK FROM A COPY!

Make a copy of your body shape.  Rename it to something new and wear that copy.
You can edit your shape by right clicking your avatar and chosing "Edit Shape."

The shape should have several sections with sliders for various body parts.  Now comes the tedious task of coping all these numbers down so we can use them somewhere else.   For now, do not worry about the head, eyes, chin, nose etc.  We only need to copy the numbers from Torso and Leg sections.

Once you have all those down, leave the shape edit by closing it or just hit escape a few times.  Now, try on some of the shapes that came with your mesh head.  Don't worry about how the body looks for now.  Just find one of Catwa shapes that you like.

Again, MAKE A COPY of the face shape you like.  Rename it.  Wear the copy.

Go into edit shape again.  This time, in the Torso and Leg section, set those to the numbers we wrote down earlier.  You can type the number straight into the field to the right of the slider.

This time, before you leave the edit, click on the bottom where it says Save As and give it yet another new name. (This is really a redundant step but I have lost more work than I care to admit because I did not make sure it was saved before closing the edit window).  I usually give this final shape a name ending in a date.  Maybe ... MaitreyaCatwa10-06-2017
Something like that.  But any name is fine

Once all this is done ... right-click some other shape and wear it.  Anything but what you have just made.  Finally, right-click on your last saved shape and wear that.  Check to see if it all looks like it should.  If anything messed up, delete all the copies and the new shapes and start over (ugh!).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, FairytaleSheva said:

then I am confused, why does this one not work?

In what way does it "not work"? If you're more specific about that, we can tailor our answers accordingly.

• Does the neck not fit properly?
  • Is there a visible difference between the skin on the head and the skin on the body?

I notice from your screenshot that you have the default shine set on the head. Here's what you need to click on the Master HUD to remove that:

remove_shine.png.c1de6aba49eee86504669357cd55a22c.png

(There may be minor visual differences between your Master HUD and mine, because mine is for the male head.)

Edited by Skell Dagger

20 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

Now comes the fun part of editing shapes.

Actually, it can be fun once you get used to if.  For now, lets just work on the basics for getting a mesh head and a mesh body to cooperate.

Fist things first, ALWAYS WORK FROM A COPY!

Make a copy of your body shape.  Rename it to something new and wear that copy.
You can edit your shape by right clicking your avatar and chosing "Edit Shape."

The shape should have several sections with sliders for various body parts.  Now comes the tedious task of coping all these numbers down so we can use them somewhere else.   For now, do not worry about the head, eyes, chin, nose etc.  We only need to copy the numbers from Torso and Leg sections.

Once you have all those down, leave the shape edit by closing it or just hit escape a few times.  Now, try on some of the shapes that came with your mesh head.  Don't worry about how the body looks for now.  Just find one of Catwa shapes that you like.

Again, MAKE A COPY of the face shape you like.  Rename it.  Wear the copy.

Go into edit shape again.  This time, in the Torso and Leg section, set those to the numbers we wrote down earlier.  You can type the number straight into the field to the right of the slider.

This time, before you leave the edit, click on the bottom where it says Save As and give it yet another new name. (This is really a redundant step but I have lost more work than I care to admit because I did not make sure it was saved before closing the edit window).  I usually give this final shape a name ending in a date.  Maybe ... MaitreyaCatwa10-06-2017
Something like that.  But any name is fine

Once all this is done ... right-click some other shape and wear it.  Anything but what you have just made.  Finally, right-click on your last saved shape and wear that.  Check to see if it all looks like it should.  If anything messed up, delete all the copies and the new shapes and start over (ugh!).

ok I did the copy and edited the shape. it's looking good so far! thanks
now lets see if I can figure out clothes lol

3 minutes ago, FairytaleSheva said:

now lets see if I can figure out clothes lol

I'll suppose that you're looking after mesh clothings for your meshbody. So....

1. Check that there's the Maitreya logo on the adboard.

2. Try a demo on yourself.

3. Sometimes you'll have to wear your meshbody HUD and use the alphas to hide some bodyparts that might poke through the cloth.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2387 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.