login issues

phoebeshadows

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2393 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

hello i need help i'm on a firestorm viewer every time i tried to login to my account it keeps saying we're having trouble connecting. There may be a problem with your internet connection or the second life grid. you can either check your internet connection and try again in a few minutes, click Help to view the second life support portal, or click teleport to attempt to teleport home ok i check my connection and tried to teleport home but nothing is happening please help 

4 answers to this question

There probably is something wrong with your Internet connection.  That's the most common reason why people have trouble logging in.  Don't be concerned about bandwidth, which is what most people think of when they say that they have "checked their connection".  Bandwidth is almost never an issue for SL. Reliability is. First, if you have been using a wireless Internet connection, replace it with a direct cable or DSL connection. Linden Lab neither recommends nor supports wifi.  Although many SL residents have no trouble at all with it, wifi  is vulnerable to interference and signal loss.  Then, reboot both your modem and your router by unplugging them from the power for a few minutes, then plug them back in and restart everything.  That generally solves the connection issue for most people. If it doesn't fix it for you, come back and tell us more about your computer so we can try something else.

It may also help to try logging in to a different region, and using a different viewer, like the standard SL viewer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Having a good general Internet connection does not guarantee a good connection to the SL servers. Test it. http://blog.nalates.net/2011/10/26/troubleshoot-your-sl-connection/

Wired connections are better than wireless. But, wireless is way better than most believe, provided you have a new access point, mean 3 or 4 years old or newer.

Most devices don't pull that much bandwidth. Alexa and others may stream TV or music. That can be a problem for an SL user. So, Rolig's pointing that problem out is realistic. Check what is being used. Checking will depend on the router/gateway you have. Google for help.

Remember. Tuesdays and Wednesdays are the days servers go offline for updates. Between 5-6 AM PT they start and generally finish between 8-11 AM. Any one region will be down for 10 to 20 minutes. But, recently regions have been double starting. That is or soon should be fixed. But, I'm not sure where they are in that 'fix it' process. So, how long a given region will be down is unpredictable. 

The Forum has a Deploys thread where they update us on what is happening with the servers. The Grid Status tells us WHEN things are happening.

• Thanks 1

On 10/2/2017 at 9:31 PM, Rolig Loon said:

There probably is something wrong with your Internet connection.  That's the most common reason why people have trouble logging in.  Don't be concerned about bandwidth, which is what most people think of when they say that they have "checked their connection".  Bandwidth is almost never an issue for SL. Reliability is. First, if you have been using a wireless Internet connection, replace it with a direct cable or DSL connection. Linden Lab neither recommends nor supports wifi.  Although many SL residents have no trouble at all with it, wifi  is vulnerable to interference and signal loss.  Then, reboot both your modem and your router by unplugging them from the power for a few minutes, then plug them back in and restart everything.  That generally solves the connection issue for most people. If it doesn't fix it for you, come back and tell us more about your computer so we can try something else.

It may also help to try logging in to a different region, and using a different viewer, like the standard SL viewer.

ok cause i'm using WiFi and when i switch to the standard second life viewer it was doing the same thing

On 10/3/2017 at 10:33 AM, Nalates Urriah said:

Having a good general Internet connection does not guarantee a good connection to the SL servers. Test it. http://blog.nalates.net/2011/10/26/troubleshoot-your-sl-connection/

Wired connections are better than wireless. But, wireless is way better than most believe, provided you have a new access point, mean 3 or 4 years old or newer.

Most devices don't pull that much bandwidth. Alexa and others may stream TV or music. That can be a problem for an SL user. So, Rolig's pointing that problem out is realistic. Check what is being used. Checking will depend on the router/gateway you have. Google for help.

Remember. Tuesdays and Wednesdays are the days servers go offline for updates. Between 5-6 AM PT they start and generally finish between 8-11 AM. Any one region will be down for 10 to 20 minutes. But, recently regions have been double starting. That is or soon should be fixed. But, I'm not sure where they are in that 'fix it' process. So, how long a given region will be down is unpredictable. 

The Forum has a Deploys thread where they update us on what is happening with the servers. The Grid Status tells us WHEN things are happening.

ok thank you

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2393 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.