MAC OSX High Sierra Issues

Jon Demen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2018 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

15 answers to this question

6 minutes ago, Jon Demen said:

Has anyone had issues with the new Mac OSX High Sierra?  Several of my HUDS are so blurry they cannot be read. I am using Firestorm viewer.

I've had no problems with High Sierra so far. It could be that the cached textures for your HUDS are either corrupted or only partially loaded. This might be one of those rare instances where clearing the cache is advisable. Before you do that, try logging in with an alternate viewer, such as the official one. If that's fine, it's probably the Firestorm cache.

I recommend everyone have two viewers on their computer to aid in troubleshooting.

Good luck!

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 3

Agreed - flush your cache out and maybe get something like AppZapper and drop firestorm onto it (it will collect all related files and offer to torch them) - then download a fresh copy if the cache thing doesn't do it for.

In short: I've not seen any issues that weren't there before.

Before you go drastic and start clearing cache, an absolute last resort, and reinstalling go to the Firestorm Support group and ask for help.

Cache clears and re-installs are for when you can't figure out a problem. There are many steps to try that take less time and are less destructive to your Preferences settings.

Madelaine gave you good advice. Get a second viewer. You only need to use it when you have to decide if your main viewer is broke or not. This lets you quickly decide if it is the SL servers or your network connection and not the viewer. Makes for quick easy troubleshooting.

Also, log into a different region and restart. Often a slow loading image is a problem on the SL server side.

However, FS 5.0.7 is often slow loading textures. It isn't so much an FS problem as it is an SL thing. They added the right-click item Texture Refresh just to workaround the problem. So, right-click on the HUD and look for Texture Refresh. 

Also, time is often the fix we overlook. An hour from the time you see the problem, it may be gone, self-repaired. Patience can save you a lot of work and frustration.

Always try the easy stuff first.

• Like 2

No problems before but yes, since 'upgrading', the new High Sierra OS has left my Firestorm viewer pretty much unusable. Its like i've landed on a high-lag crowded TP area, everything takes about 5 seconds to respond with the coloured windmill up all the time. I've done a clean re-install of the viewer and verified that the problem does not exist with the LL viewer (which it doesn't). 

I have been forced to revert to the latter for the time being which is fine,  but i do prefer Firestorm. Contact me inworld with any suggestions or fixes if its easier (i'm there more than i am here!)

Edited by xCaroleAnnex

On 11/19/2017 at 11:11 AM, xCaroleAnnex said:

No problems before but yes, since 'upgrading', the new High Sierra OS has left my Firestorm viewer pretty much unusable. Its like i've landed on a high-lag crowded TP area, everything takes about 5 seconds to respond with the coloured windmill up all the time. I've done a clean re-install of the viewer and verified that the problem does not exist with the LL viewer (which it doesn't). 

I have been forced to revert to the latter for the time being which is fine,  but i do prefer Firestorm. Contact me inworld with any suggestions or fixes if its easier (i'm there more than i am here!)

I've had a terrible time with both LL viewer and Firestorm viewers both. I'll admit that SL hasn't always run the best on my computer, but there have been major major major lag spikes that make both viewers pretty un-usable. I had no problem on Sierra, upgrading to High Sierra has caused this problem with other stuff too. Quite disappointing. 

• Sad 1

*Latest News* Subsequent to my first re-install as posted above, it seems that after a second re-install of the viewer, everything seems to be more or less back to normal. Just make sure the re-installs are CLEAN and that you get all those old settings files out. (i think i might have missed them first time)

Edited by xCaroleAnnex
  • Like 2

I am having terrible time with any viewer I try. Tried 4 now. I get 0.3 FPS in low graphic setting, when I used to fly through in High and use Ultra whenever I wanted.  Will not be able to play SL now and will need forfeit my land, shame  I so enjoy SL. I also crash to a black screen some times too in SL.  It affects the performance of all my computer applications until I log out of SL.   SO disappointed.  Hope this gets dealt with

Sigg Naidoo

Not a newbie  been on regularly for 9 years

Edited by Sigg Naidoo

On 11/29/2017 at 3:55 PM, Sigg Naidoo said:

I am having terrible time with any viewer I try. Tried 4 now. I get 0.3 FPS in low graphic setting, when I used to fly through in High and use Ultra whenever I wanted.  Will not be able to play SL now and will need forfeit my land, shame  I so enjoy SL. I also crash to a black screen some times too in SL.  It affects the performance of all my computer applications until I log out of SL.   SO disappointed.  Hope this gets dealt with

Sigg Naidoo

Not a newbie  been on regularly for 9 years

Answered in another thread.

I am also unable to function in SL since the High Sierra "upgrade." I have tried both Firestorm and the LL viewer. I am beginning to believe it is a memory management issue. When I first log in, everything seems fine. Then after a few minutes, the display starts getting jerky, typing becomes difficult, and the FPS indicator starts dropping toward 1.0 FPS.

As soon as I "updated" (I use that term loosely now) to High Sierra, my Second Life doesn't work.....  I get the twirling color wheel all the time.  I don't know how many times I've had to restart my computer just to get in to do necessary things and then it crashes.  This STINKS.  I wish I had NEVER updated to High Sierra.  It is not compatible with Second Life in the least, and I don't know how many other things it affects.  I've tried everything, reinstalling, cleaning, and the official "fix" is to back up all your stuff, wipe your computer clean and never install High Sierra again.  But I'm not doing that since it's so risky to try and get everything back.  Thanks Mac, I'll never do one of your updates again until it's a couple years old, if then.  Grrrrrr  <--- mad Mac user... 

• Sad 1

On 12/8/2017 at 1:03 PM, Ansel Artful said:

I am also unable to function in SL since the High Sierra "upgrade." I have tried both Firestorm and the LL viewer. I am beginning to believe it is a memory management issue. When I first log in, everything seems fine. Then after a few minutes, the display starts getting jerky, typing becomes difficult, and the FPS indicator starts dropping toward 1.0 FPS.

I definitely think memory management is part of it. I don't have a SEVERE issue with it for the first... Hour or so of playing (unless I'm running OBS at the same time, then it's just a mess.) but after being logged in for a bit longer than that I either become very slow to rez or load anything and run at about 10-15FPS, or the whole thing just freezes up and I end up having to shut down my entire computer just to get FS to close. I haven't had that 2nd issue with the SL LL viewer, but I have had the first one. 

Not sure the problem is ONLY attributed to memory management though. I'm beginning to think that we took an already somewhat unstable piece of software and combined it with another piece of unstable software to just get a mess. I have issues in other high memory/high cpu programs like photoshop. Hard to blame it on FS or LL when I generally think it's Apple that screwed it all up to begin with. 

If only downgrading to Sierra was an option. 

I have an issue with slow rezzing. Parts of my body float around me without popping into place https://gyazo.com/3e3dcf0b4f97f4d026e2e64fda4b753a

and I see some trees and bushes like they have polaroids in them.https://gyazo.com/8e3dccd2289572888cdc5cfba79b0fc3

And there are times my textures are corrupted on my body and face. https://gyazo.com/9ad6740b674458affcff15ab636bdcf5

I have done clean installs, modem recycles and cache clears but not much helps.

Edited by Roshambo Dench

Had all of these issues with Firestorm - freezing and random crashing.  Had just upgraded Firestorm without doing a clean install.  Finally carefully spent the time to delete all old settings for all viewers (had tried Alchemy and Kukua also - same issues).  With the clean install has been trouble free in all viewers for two days now (knocking wood).  Another advantage is the iMac fan doesn't spin up to full speed any more, even at higher resolution settings which would crash my viewers really quickly before.   

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2018 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.