Linux, Wine, and SL Viewers

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2076 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

There are viewers which work with current Linux versions, I have no problems with Firestorm, and a strange Linux release from Linden Lab which seems totally unsupported, and won't work with any Linux version I have tried.

Wine is a Linux tool which allows you to run Windows programs on a Linux machine. I have the Kindle Reader program for Windows and an app called Scrivener set up this way and they work fine. The Kindle Reader is a bit picky about which Wine version it works with.

I have not been able to get any version of the Windows viewer, Linden Lab or Firestorm to work with Wine. People have told me it does, but have not been able to provide any details.

So that's the context. Some of you may already have worked out the question.

Can anyone tell me a combination of Windows viewer and Wine version which works on a current Linux version? My system uses Linux Mint 18.2 which is a derivative of the current Ubuntu LTS version. What I am particularly interested in is the Viewer and Wine version, though you should include the basic distro details.

Anyone?

I got the LL viewer to run fine with Linux. The problem is that its 32 bit and even installing 32 bit compatibility packages wont let it run on 64 bit Linux.

Ran fine for me on 32 bit Lubuntu 16.04 and CentOS 7

Running the windows version through Wine may or may not work, programs like SL that require a lot of Windows only protocols for things like network connectivity and all that may not work under wine on every machine.

A small update (since nobody seems to know anything).

I have been able to get an ancient Windows Viewer working using the PlayOnLinux interface for Wine. I was using 64-bit Linux and set up a 32-bit virtual drive through PlayOnLinux, using v1.6.1 of Wine. So getting a 32-bit Windows Viewer running can be done.

This isn't all that useful, since the viewer I found is pretty old, and has erratic mesh support. But I now seem to know more about this than all the big-name experts (and if that doesn't frighten you, it should). There's no real point in using it, except it let me get a Windows viewer working on a Linux machine, which otherwise seemed to have as much reality as the Siege Perilous at Arthur's Round Table.

PlayOnLinux allows a virtual drive to be set up with a bewildering choice of Wine versions, and the particular viewer crashed with later Wine versions,

I now have the current SL Windows Viewer running under Linux using the Wine sub-system with nVidia hardware on the v384.90 Linux driver. Note that Linux version numbers for nVidia drivers may be marked as a Beta for Windows. It is a different operating system

Linux Version in use: Linux Mint 18.2 "Sonya" with xfce desktop, running in 8GB RAM with nVidia GTX650 hardware. This might work in 4GB without starting to swap to virtual memory.

Wine Version 2.10 set up with Play On Linux as a 32-bit virtual disk.

SL Viewer Version: Second Life 5.0.7.328060 

This setup appears to be Windows 7 SP1 to the viewer.

Whoever chose the colour scheme for the standard SL viewer hath not the eyes of mortal men.

Anyway, it is possible, it does work, and now I have documented it. Why anyone would routinely want to run the SL viewer, I am not sure, though it uses much less RAM than Firestorm.

I have now tried Starlight, and, for some reason, it doesn't work. Is there anywhere to find a more recent version than is available through the SL Wiki?

Edited by WolfBaginski Bearsfoot
Additional Information

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

currently in Linux Mint 19 the native linux SL viewer runs after installing some specific 32 bit libraries or the whole ia32-libs. Latest firestorm runs out of the box with this linux, but some media features require the specific 18.04 library steps, plus installing Chrome/Chromium and running for first time. Trying Firestorm with centos 7, no luck

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know... on my OpenSUSE Leap 15.0 64bit system, the most current SL viewer runs just fine on WINE. Same goes for the "Hardcore RLV" by Marine Kelley, Niran's Black Dragon Viewer, and the Catznip Viewer, which I run via PlayOnLinux (which is a  WINE frontend, so to speak). I have sound in all of them - but no voice though.

However, I do prefer Firestorm (in "Phoenix Mode"), Cool VL Viewer, and Singularity (Alpha) -- 1) because of their UI, and 2) because they have a native Linux client.

Edited by ThorinII

28 minutes ago, ThorinII said:

I don't know... on my OpenSUSE Leap 15.0 64bit system, the most current SL viewer runs just fine on WINE. Same goes for the "Hardcore RLV" by Marine Kelley, Niran's Black Dragon Viewer, and the Catznip Viewer, which I run via PlayOnLinux (which is a  WINE frontend, so to speak). I have sound in all of them - but no voice though.

However, I do prefer Firestorm (in "Phoenix Mode"), Cool VL Viewer, and Singularity (Alpha) -- 1) because of their UI, and 2) because they have a native Linux client.

neat, Cool VL is new to me, I think Kokua also has a native Linux client...

The Linux client is currently suffering from the Linux equivalent of .dll hell

It does not use the standard libraries included with your distro and must be compiled against specific versions of libraries that are then shipped with the viewer. This unsurprisingly can lead to problems, there are some issues with the specific libs shipped with the viewer that the viewer itself depends on so not using bundled libs simply doesn't work. 

LL have stated they would like to get the Linux client built and packaged the same way as every other Linux application, the first step being to compile it standalone to use system libs ... and we have been at that first step for well over a year now, perhaps two.

There is no native vivox client anymore and there wont ever be one again, and no alternative or plan B.

From my perspective with Catznip, my desktop has some pretty major problems on Linux, **** poor Nvidia support for non matched cards, unwatchable video and nothing I have tried has helped (Ubuntu when I'm feeling lazy, Gentoo when I'm not). The last viewer I built had a fatal random crash bug that would take the system down with it .. and it was in general, eating a disproportionate amount of time for a tiny number of users, and the Windows client with wine almost always ran smoother, the fps was lower, but there were fewer spikes so we called it day. I'm not going to put out a viewer I'm not prepared to use day to day.

I keep poking .. so this might change. I do much prefer Linux for being productive and dev work. 

2 minutes ago, ThorinII said:

Here's the Link to the Cool VL Viewer: http://sldev.free.fr/

And yes, Kokua does have a native Linux Client, too -- even 64bit. :)

Cool is not TPV listed. http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Third_Party_Viewer_Directory

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CoffeeDujour said:

Henri's been working on Cool Viewer since LL dumped V1, he was on the TPV list for most of that time...

663,000 plus hits on the site since Nov 2007...

I don't use his viewer, since I loath the V1 style UI but that's just a personal thing,

"Please note that since LL published a Third-Party Viewers (TPV) policy, in order to use this viewer to connect to Second Life, you must first read and agree with these terms (which will be presented to you on the first run of the Cool VL Viewer). 
The Cool VL Viewer is itself TPV-policy compliant (and for people wondering why it is not listed in LL's TPV directory, it's simply because I don't want to provide private data to LL about myself, data which is illegal to require for such a purpose in my country. Being listed in the directory is in no way a requirement for a viewer to be considered TPV-policy compliant anyway: see the paragraph 6 of the TPV policy)."

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, CoffeeDujour said:

The Linux client is currently suffering from the Linux equivalent of .dll hell

It does not use the standard libraries included with your distro and must be compiled against specific versions of libraries that are then shipped with the viewer.

Things are looking up on the Linux side. Since Firestorm incorporated the Alex Ivy fixes, it's been buildable by third parties with no special patches or build procedure. The release version runs well on Ubuntu. Making it up as a Linux snap file and getting it into the Ubuntu store (free) would be good; then it would be a one click install.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2076 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.