Sign in to follow this  
Tanshin Denothar

llSetPrimMediaParams Play Video When Buffered

I've been playing around with llSetPrimMediaParams and I'm trying to see how it can handle playing large video files. However, from what I can gather, a video will only start playing when it has been fully cached on the client's computer. Is there any way to make it begin to play when it's been sufficiently buffered like most media player programs?

You need to create the file not as a straight MOV, but using Quicktime Pro you Export the movie as a Hinted Movie (important).  Then when the prim is seen and the avatar is in that parcel with it, the user's viewer will go out to that URL and get the video, which Quicktime will begin playing after only a couple of seconds of buffering time.

This is a very common issue -- MOV is not automatically hinted.  You have to take your movie and export it as a Hinted Movie file for QT in the viewer to begin playing it without waiting for the entire file first.

Glad to hear it worked for you.  Usually Framerate being wonky is caused by bandwidth problems, usually because you have the movie at full resolution.  For our movie nights, we convert the movies to 360x240 and limit bandwidth to 450Kbps total.  While not as slick as a raw DVD, it is acceptable for getting friends together in SL and enjoying a show together.  Take a look at the size of your movie - it should be no bigger than 220Meg per hour for best results.  If left at full resolution and bitrate, your server won't be able to throw the data out fast and steady enough and many users won't have the bandwidth to take it all even if it did.

Alrighty then, I'll have to play with that. I was able to get a 2.3GB file running well when I disabled my HUDs, however it was also being streamed over my local network. I still don't understand how a 710MB file magically grew to 2.3GB when I added the hinting... unless .mov is much less compressed than .mp4.

I'll just have to play around with it today.