Would you rather have resizeability or better animations?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2391 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

19 minutes ago, Fluffy Sharkfin said:

Sorry, I think you have the wrong idea, you don't attach the non-rigged wings to the rigged mesh, you wear the rigged mesh object which fixes the mWing1 bone positions separately, then you need to attach each non-rigged wing to the corresponding wing attachment point, then rotate and reposition it to align with the bones of the wing so that the pivot point for the wing matches the position of the origin for mWing1 (in order to do this go to the Develop menu at the top of the screen and choose Avatar > Show Bones so you can see the wing bones of your avatar).

Once you have the non-rigged wings positioned so they line up with the wing bones of your avatar, then as long as the wing animation you're using is only rotating mWing1 the non-rigged wings should stay aligned.

So are you saying that I would need to make a single mesh object that is rigged to the SL Avatar armature in Avastar that doesn't need to be attached to each wing bone, but rather gets rigged / skinned / binded to a single point via let's say, the spine or wing root bone? And then after importing the rigged mesh object and wearing it, I then attach each prim wing to the corresponding wing bone while in the Show Bones mode?
If this works, you are a hero. A hero I tell you. 

1 minute ago, Violaine Villota said:

So are you saying that I would need to make a single mesh object that is rigged to the SL Avatar armature in Avastar that doesn't need to be attached to each wing bone, but rather gets rigged / skinned / binded to a single point via let's say, the spine or wing root bone? And then after importing the rigged mesh object and wearing it, I then attach each prim wing to the corresponding wing bone while in the Show Bones mode?
If this works, you are a hero. A hero I tell you. 

Pretty much, except I'm fairly sure you'll need at least one vertex of the rigged mesh weighted to each of the mWing1 bones, since if nothing is weighted to those bones I'm not sure if the joint offsets for them would even be recorded in the .dae file (but I haven't tried it myself so I may be wrong).  Also you won't be able to attach the prim wings to a specific bone, they'll attach to the wing attachment points (I just sent you a couple of really simple examples in-world that you can wear to see exactly what I mean about the positioning and orientation of the prim wings in relation to the wing bones).

Just a little update on my progress here. I've gotten the wings to attach in the right place, just flexi prims with normal and specular maps so they have the appearance of being sculpted. The slow animations are working fine but the fast flutters seem to break upon importing them into SL and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

They just sort of vibrate instead, so I'm still working on this. Maybe things can't go faster than 5 frames apart or something?
Anyway, here's what I got so far:

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2391 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.