Should i purchase this laptop?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4748 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Greetings,

Recently i've started thinking about purchasing a new laptop to replace my Latitude E6500.

I came across the Asus 17,3" G73SW-TZ083V - i7 2630QM/8GB/1TB and so far i'm loving what i have seen and read about it. Since it's a high pricetag (1650 euro = 2365USD) i could use a few more third party thoughts though, never hurts :). Or if there is someone out there with this laptop, it would help even more.

The specs of my current Latitude E6500 are the following:

• CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     P8600  @ 2.40GHz (2394 MHz)
  • Memory: 3571 MBOS Version: Microsoft Windows Vista 32-bit Service Pack 2 (Build 6002)
  • Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
  • Graphics Card: Quadro NVS 160M/PCI/SSE2
  • Windows Graphics Driver Version: 7.15.0011.7607

The specs of the Asus G73SW would be:  

• Name: Asus G73SW-TZ083V  
  • Display: 7,3"  - Full HD 1920 x 1080 - LED Backlit  
  • Webcam: 2.0 Mega Pixel  
  • Processor: 2e Generation Intel Core i7 2630QM - 2,0GHz - Intel HM65 chipset  
  • RAM: 8GB DDR3  
  • Harddrive : 1TB - 2x 500GB SATA SSH - Solid state Hybrid Hard Disk  
  •  Blu-ray Disc ROM & Dual Layer DVD±ReWriter combo  
  • Graphics controller: NVIDIA GeForce GTX460M - 1,5GB  
  • Speakers: Buil in, incl subwoofer, EAX 5.0, THX TruStudio  
  • Netwerk: Gigatbit Ethernet, 802.11b/g/n wireless, Bluetooth v2.1+EDR  
  •  Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit 
  • 1x USB 3.0, 3x USB 2.0, RJ45 LAN, HDMI 1.4, Mic-in jack, Headphone jack out, 5-in-1 kaartlezer (SD, MMC, MS)  
  • Battery: 8 cell - 75WHrs, 5200mAh,4S2P
Many thanks in advance!

I know that Acer Aspire notebooks with similar specs (full HD display, contemporary NVidia graphcis) are sold for around 1500 Euro, but with only 4 GB of RAM and ordinary HDs instead of SSD hybrids. I don't think you'll find anything comparable for a cheaper price. The only drawback is Vista. Perhaps you can talk the seller into throwing in an OEM version of Windows 7?

Also, Asus has been pretty consistently at the top of various reliability statistics (that is, the least number of problems in a couple of years of use) while Acer tends to be somewhere in the bottom half. The difference isn't necessarily big enough to matter though, at least to anyone besides my mum... :)

I think you meant to type that the display is 17.3".  If not then definitely not worth it. :smileytongue:

I can get the same Asus slightly different model with all the same specs here in the US for about 700USD less so that does seem overpriced by US standards.  But based on how my current Asus laptop performs and the specs on that machine it will handle SL at high settings quite well and much better than your current laptop.  The G73's are also pretty light for a high end 17.3" laptop and significantly lighter than the G70 series.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4748 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.