Sign in to follow this  
TailBlue

Rp sims mention this and that but ban it on there sims and Anime avi looks.

Its come to my attention for long while now that there are alot sims that mention "this" or "that" and yet they ban it on there sims. Like few scifi Rp sims ive been to (i wont name any) but they mention how they have for example: Gits (Ghost in the Shell) in the description of the sim and other areas ect making alot people like Yea i know Ghost in the shell and so on making them even more interested of the sim but then when they get there they get slapped with the rules of "No Anime" ect. Now there are different looks and styles of "Anime" in Second Life...and then people who come there as anime fans with there avis looking close to anime usually using Utilizators Avatar 2.0 or some other form of anime style avi. Now keep in mind the differences in anime avis and designs of how they look. Im only curious about this just wondering what makes Rp sims ban anime human looking avis that one could points facts out that isnt anime and is anime, but they want people Rping there with the linden labs type of avi look. Ive had people tell me that it messes up the lore and feel of the Rp sim which is true. But when it comes to an avi that can be classified as non-anime and anime borderline just becomes a talk of the persons thinking of it and how they see it.

Id like your thoughts on this type of thing.

• Like 2

I think it's a conversation spoken at cross purposes.

On one hand, most roleplayers put a lot of pride in their avies and tolerate very little critics to adapt or change their looks. On the other hand, sim owners who are puting this and that restrictions to maintain some consistency on their rp sim.

When I was a rl storyteller for the tabletop WoD rpgs, there was always a player who wanted to play something that was out of the rules. He always had consistent arguments and explanations for his character and it made sense, at least for him, but it was out of the rules nonetheless and my answer was always the same : no without discussion.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TailBlue said:

Id like your thoughts on this type of thing

There are probably a couple or three of things going on here.

1 hour ago, Morgan Rosenstar said:

When I was a rl storyteller for the tabletop WoD rpgs, there was always a player who wanted to play something...

One is as Morgan pointed out, the whole "My character is an 8th generation half Brujah, half Nosferatu, half Lasombra Anarch Pack Leader billionaire with his own luxury penthouse fortress haven, who acquired the WoD-Dark-Age version of Viccisitude level 6 after bumping pelvises with an 1100 year old 6th generation Autarkis Obertus Tzimice Elder from Byzantium on a one night stand, it says so right there in my background character bio, so it's allowed..."

Another possibility is simply that the RP Admins like the story line, but... are a bit paranoid about the all to common "Walking ToS Violation" Extreme-Loli-Con appearance of some peoples 'anime' avatars. The whole "It's Jap-Anime-Shun Kawaii Hentai Otaku Weabo Kreepy Kid Paedo-Bait, so it's allowed..." thing.

And lastly, is that some of the Anime Avatars, have all kinds of "hella kewl" combat accessories addons on the MP, to turn your Rikugou into a walking Main-Battle-Tank that can FLY, and do so, despite their character being a "humble trainee apprentice janitor 3rd class", then coming up with some insane garbage about how "It's all explained in the back story in my place picks, so it's allowed..."

It's all part of the "Laws of Online Para-RP" - Thou shalt not out-god-mod the god-modding Online Para-RP Admin...

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Klytyna said:

Thou shalt not out-god-mod the god-modding Online Para-RP Admin...

Some RP is hard to fathom until you know all the rules!

• Thanks 1

I too get annoyed when people add tags to things that aren't part of the sim/item etc.  Kinda like searching for "boots" on the MP and getting skirts or tables. :P

As for anime or banning certain types of avatars - an anime avatar is as out of place in a 'realistic' sim, as a realistic avatar is out of place in an anime tv show or comic (graphic novel).  Or as an anime cartoon walking around in a live-action movie.  It breaks "immersion" and the feel and theme of the place.  If I chose to play somewhere I'm certainly going to do my best to fit in.  I'm not going to wear a sci-fi latex suit in a medieval sim.   I'm not going to wear a medieval outfit in a Star Trek sim.  If I went to an "anime" sim, I would definitely do everything possible to fit in (as in getting an anime avi), and in the same way, I expect someone who wants to play in a 'realistic' sim to put in the same effort to fit in.

I see this a lot with furries too, who speak about furries not being accepted in one place or another to the point that some cry out "discrimination" when that is not the case at all.  It's just that Purple Sharks that walk on two legs, or Green Canine police officers that speak English and drive do not exist in that particular world.  

My question is what does your avi look like? 

I'm an admin on an RP sim and just about anything goes. We've had Timelords and aliens. That being said, we've had people show up in My Little Pony Avis or in ones that are flat replicas of Sonic the hedgehog. Those two are a definite no. Same for petites or large avis. We had one that we had to ban since he was always showing up as a vehicle no some kind saying he was a machina/robot so it should be allowed. We had never that did a very good job with stuff from inworld copying Vampire Hunter D. We've had some that wanted to be huge dragons. Again, no. 

Wehave a combat meter so the avi can only be as small as the sliders allow. We do allow the larger Minotaur and lycan avis like Niramyth creates.

So, it depends on the sim and the owner's vision for their sim.

On 29.9.2017 at 11:34 AM, TailBlue said:

for example: Gits (Ghost in the Shell) in the description of the sim and other areas ect making alot people like Yea i know Ghost in the shell and so on making them even more interested of the sim but then when they get there they get slapped with the rules of "No Anime" ect. Now there are different looks and styles of "Anime" in Second Life...and then people who come there as anime fans with there avis looking close to anime usually using Utilizators Avatar 2.0 or some other form of anime style avi.

Having Ghost in the Shell in the description can simply be a hint at what type of SciFi RP one could find there. For example: Ghost in the Shell deals a lot with the conflict between being human and the progression of bio technology, that allows to replace bodyparts with technology, giving them advantages. It does not automatically translate to "we are playing an anime RP". Ghost in the Shell is also one of the few anime franchises I like...because its drawing style is aiming that realism. Detailed faces, detailed surroundings...not the 0815-random anime look. So if your avatar looks anything like what you chose as a forum picture...you are not fitting the style.

• Thanks 1

something id lake to add, and yes, this is both opinion and some fact, the thing with anime avatars, is a majority of them (including the Utilizators Avatar 2.0) look to childlike to be considered adults, and in alot of rp sims that do not allow underage charters, this can cause a big issue for sims with adult content, because if the av looks underage, no matter what they say there rp age is it matters not if it is reported to ll, if it looks underage, it should not be doing adult things, that is why alot of sims ban anime looking av's

On 10/7/2017 at 8:30 AM, Syo Emerald said:

Having Ghost in the Shell in the description can simply be a hint at what type of SciFi RP one could find there. For example: Ghost in the Shell deals a lot with the conflict between being human and the progression of bio technology, that allows to replace bodyparts with technology, giving them advantages. It does not automatically translate to "we are playing an anime RP". Ghost in the Shell is also one of the few anime franchises I like...because its drawing style is aiming that realism. Detailed faces, detailed surroundings...not the 0815-random anime look. So if your avatar looks anything like what you chose as a forum picture...you are not fitting the style.

i agree, there are alot of sims that will quote something because it may have similar styles  

Just came across this thread. In recent years, Anime & Manga have been classed by many countries including mine, the UK as being Childlike. UK Laws on Buying Amine figures on the likes of Ebay, using Amine characters in Second Life that look underage, is illegal here. The government deems the use of underage looking amine characters or cartoon Videos as looking or downloading an indecent image of a Minor, Wether its A cartoon or not. The cartoon images have been deemed  illegal and are Technical  named as Pseudo Images, either drawn, or CGI generated. This Solicitors website explains more about the  Section 160 of the Criminal Justice Act 1988 

It should also be noted, that taking part in Pseudo Animated acts on Second Life canine Sims, is also Illegal for UK citizens to see or take part of. It rather annoys me, that face book is still getting away with putting in adverts for so called games, with Buttons saying Kiss or Molest, which is also sites NOT to click on , if you live in a country where these sort of things are illegal by law. But it seems ok for facebook to allow terrorist propaganda.

Why would I be bothering to write this you may ask? The simple reason, is my home was raided 19 months ago, with 7 officers with a warrant, saying I had downloaded 1 image of an underage Pseudo image and passed it on by email. I was in disbelief, because I know I do not have any such images on my computers or external drives. But they still took everything away including my password books, later taken down to a police station, thrown in a jail for two hours, interrogated for an hour, But they didnt get anywhere.   

I had to wait 6 months to get all my equipment back, which took me off second life, all my grocery sites , Online banking, Amazon and Ebay, I had no access  for 6 months, until one day two plain clothes came to my door and gave me all the wrapped Seized items back, saying, "Nothing was found", you are no longer under bail conditions. It ruined my life & health, But I could not sue for wrongful arrest, because the Government stopped allowing legal aid for this and many other claims. My solicitor said I would have to Find £1000 in the first place to take action against Lancashire Police, But being a pensioner, I have no such access to that amount of money, so I have to live with the fact, that My fingerprints & mug shots are on record, for no wrong doing.

I was never given or told where this so called suspicion  allegation came from, seems I have no rights to stand before my accuser and ask , why did you do it.   My advice is to keep well away from Japanese Anime, it may be legal In japan, But in Europe Most countries laws have changed to make the underage look of Amine and manga an offence to buy, download, or interact with. That's probably why some sim owners are very aware of the consequences off allowing this sort of content, because different laws applies to the country you live. If in Doubt make sure, your not committing an offence, by looking up your own countries regulations on  Amine content by going online

Edited by Michaelatv Destiny

On 9/29/2017 at 5:34 AM, TailBlue said:

Its come to my attention for long while now that there are alot sims that mention "this" or "that" and yet they ban it on there sims. Like few scifi Rp sims ive been to (i wont name any) but they mention how they have for example: Gits (Ghost in the Shell) in the description of the sim and other areas ect making alot people like Yea i know Ghost in the shell and so on making them even more interested of the sim but then when they get there they get slapped with the rules of "No Anime" ect. Now there are different looks and styles of "Anime" in Second Life...and then people who come there as anime fans with there avis looking close to anime usually using Utilizators Avatar 2.0 or some other form of anime style avi. Now keep in mind the differences in anime avis and designs of how they look. Im only curious about this just wondering what makes Rp sims ban anime human looking avis that one could points facts out that isnt anime and is anime, but they want people Rping there with the linden labs type of avi look. Ive had people tell me that it messes up the lore and feel of the Rp sim which is true. But when it comes to an avi that can be classified as non-anime and anime borderline just becomes a talk of the persons thinking of it and how they see it.

The problem is the misuse of the term "anime."

"Anime" in Japanese is the term for all animated ("cartoon" and CG) shows. A Japanese person would say that an American Mickey Mouse cartoon is "anime." It's also the word the Japanese use for animations that we buy for our Second Life avatars.

In English speaking countries some use it to describe all Japanese animation - they'd say that Sailor Moon and Cowboy Bebop are "anime", but a Mickey Mouse cartoon isn't.

However, some in English speaking countries use it to describe only the stereotypically big-eyed, often somewhat childlike animation of Sailor Moon but not the more realistic animation style of Cowboy Bebop. Given that everything in Second Life is technically animated and it's not possible to distinguish between an avatar being used by a Japanese person and a non-Japanese person, this is the definition that's probably most common in Second Life.

Given that Ghost in the Shell is done in a realistic style, the owners of that region aren't considering it to be "anime" the way they use the definition.

• Like 1

On 29/09/2017 at 1:17 PM, Klytyna said:

There are probably a couple or three of things going on here.

One is as Morgan pointed out, the whole "My character is an 8th generation half Brujah, half Nosferatu, half Lasombra Anarch Pack Leader billionaire with his own luxury penthouse fortress haven, who acquired the WoD-Dark-Age version of Viccisitude level 6 after bumping pelvises with an 1100 year old 6th generation Autarkis Obertus Tzimice Elder from Byzantium on a one night stand, it says so right there in my background character bio, so it's allowed..."

Another possibility is simply that the RP Admins like the story line, but... are a bit paranoid about the all to common "Walking ToS Violation" Extreme-Loli-Con appearance of some peoples 'anime' avatars. The whole "It's Jap-Anime-Shun Kawaii Hentai Otaku Weabo Kreepy Kid Paedo-Bait, so it's allowed..." thing.

And lastly, is that some of the Anime Avatars, have all kinds of "hella kewl" combat accessories addons on the MP, to turn your Rikugou into a walking Main-Battle-Tank that can FLY, and do so, despite their character being a "humble trainee apprentice janitor 3rd class", then coming up with some insane garbage about how "It's all explained in the back story in my place picks, so it's allowed..."

It's all part of the "Laws of Online Para-RP" - Thou shalt not out-god-mod the god-modding Online Para-RP Admin...

Just go Tzimice (I know it is old but a good character  Tzimice is also old)

On 10/7/2017 at 2:30 PM, Syo Emerald said:

The-Ghost-in-The-Shell-manga.jpg

Motoko Kusanagi disagrees. ( Just look at her frowny face there)

(Also note the realistic detailing in jacket, skin etc, but the drawing still having simplified proportions of the body, and simplified face. That is a direct choice of the artist)

When starting something as a GITS- themed sim, it's good to realize that it's not only the latest movie that is GITS... but all predecessors too.  So which is more correct then? The original, or the latest adaptation nr 5123, that just hit the movie theaters/game vendors/etc. I would even go as far as, the last live adaptation being the least true to self adaptation so far.

And even if the first GITS anime was fairly detailed, and the series as well, it was still simplified, animated characters. For which, Avatar2 for an example would be plenty good enough, and even some more anime-styled avatars as well.

So it comes down to a style choice, as it's hard for most to have both styles present without breaking immersion. Whichever the owner picks, there will be disgruntled people disagreeing. In that case, it could be very well valid to actually ad in a well-thought out explanation and discussion of the choice made.  Then questions like the OP would have already been answered.

• Like 1

Face it, about 80% of the RP sims in SL are run by little tinpot dictators and not worth visiting. Shake your head, ignore them and move on. There are better RP sims out there, visit those instead ;-)

37 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

Face it, about 80% of the RP sims in SL are run by little tinpot dictators and not worth visiting. Shake your head, ignore them and move on. There are better RP sims out there, visit those instead ;-)

Good RP sims have a clear vision and rules against anything that goes against that vision, may it be anime avatars, angels or being human. I commend those who have clear cut rules and stick to them without making exceptions.
It does not make the owner a dictator nor does it make the sim bad.

You are right on one point however, if you'd like to use an anime avatar and it's not welcomed in one RP sim then do go ahead and find one you like where this is allowed. There is no point complaining about it, the RP sim is the owners playground, if they don't want you playing there move on.

16 minutes ago, Syn Anatine said:

It does not make the owner a dictator nor does it make the sim bad.

You forget it is up to me to decide what's bad. And that is exactley the problem here, because it is up to every one of us to decide what is bad for us. And the sim owners decide what is bad for their sims. Now call me old fashioned but I do not like being cut down in my freedom to much. Many of those sims I visited showed such a narrow mindset that I guess their owners would be better off doing a machinimation than a running something interactive with * gasp *  unpredictable player input like an RP sim. 

• Like 1

On 9/29/2017 at 7:34 PM, TailBlue said:

I would form an union of anime girls and fill their ban list beyond 300 to fix it
I am not saying you would raid the sim, that would be kinda wrong, but I mean you are free to visit a sim until they lock it down if you get what I mean.

Edited by iamyourneighbour

2 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

You forget it is up to me to decide what's bad. And that is exactley the problem here, because it is up to every one of us to decide what is bad for us. And the sim owners decide what is bad for their sims. Now call me old fashioned but I do not like being cut down in my freedom to much. Many of those sims I visited showed such a narrow mindset that I guess their owners would be better off doing a machinimation than a running something interactive with * gasp *  unpredictable player input like an RP sim. 

I never said it wasn't.

On 3/23/2018 at 7:06 AM, Fionalein said:

Why is it a problem that the person PAYING for the sim gets to decide what is and is not allowed there (outside of the TOS given to us by LL, of course). If I am paying for the land, I don't give a rat's left nut what you, a mere visitor, want allowed on my sim. Unless you're paying for it, you don't get to decide. If it makes me a "dictator" or "close minded" in your opinion to have certain preferences, or to desire not seeing certain kinds of things on a sim I am paying for, then so be it. You're likely alone in your assessment, and I'd say that believing you get to dictate what a sim owner does with his/her own land, makes *you* pretty arrogant, lol. 

(all yous are general, of course, they apply to anyone, and everyone, not you specifically)

When I do own land, I tend to leave it open for the general public to use, I even host a myriad of different things on my land that tends to draw folks in (especially linden earning games, parks, fun places and such). I have very few rules, outside of whatever my covenant(should one exist) and the TOS decide I am allowed to have. I make those rules very well known, easy to find, both in about land as well as listed on signs ON the land...you really can't miss them.  If someone is hell bent on breaking them, they get ejected, told why, and given ONE opportunity to not do that again (in most instances, there are a couple where I offer no chances at all, but I digress). I don't care if that person's style doesn't fit with my theme, or with my ideals, or my opinion of what should be on display on a public sim. I don't care if it's "their character", whatsoever. Until that person is paying my tier, he or she can sod off with that crap. It may sound harsh to put it that way, but I have helped run countless sims over the years, and some people are just jerks when it comes to "I want it my way, not your-the person paying for the sim's-way". That's a crap load of, well, crap, lol.  Most folks that have visited lands that I've actually owned myself, are quite nice about ensuring they follow the rules, they have no qualms with changing avs, or appearance if necessary to ensure they can visit. They have no issues with the rules at all, really. But there have been a handful of "you're a dictator", "you're ruining my freedom", "you're taking my rights away",  "you're an -ist"(insert whatever word you'd like before that ist, I've been called a lot, lol). Honestly, those are the folks that rub EVERYONE the wrong way, and I do mean wrong.  No one is stripping you of your freedom, no one is being a dictator, no one is taking away your rights to do what you want in sl (within the TOS of course), lmao. It is, in fact, the opposite when you insist that you be able to go where you want, when you want, looking how you want, to do what you want. Life doesn't work that way, anywhere, much less in a virtual environment. 

I get if folks believe they cannot conform to whatever rules a sim owner has put forth, or rather, they don''t want to. So, go somewhere else if that's the case. Calling the sim owner names, or making outlandish claims about rights and freedom being taken away, doesn't make your stance any stronger, quite the opposite really. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Tari Landar said:

If I am paying for the land, I don't give a rat's left nut what you, a mere visitor, want allowed on my sim.

If that would really be your attitude when running a roleplay dedicated sim, that "you're just a mere visitor" is not likely to get you far. 

It's one thing to own a sim and keep it up as some kind of exhibit for your creative decoration skills or whatever. But directing a roleplay ideally forms a dependency on one another - the sim / plot of land on good and dedicated players (which might help contributing to the costs, you never know) and the players on a well-kept plot.

What isn't needed is an uptight roleplay administrator who cannot accept anything beyond their own way of thinking. Before they start claiming "my sim, my rules", they better save their $300 and stay away from running such an interactive venue. 

Besides that, you basically agree to Fionalein in saying that you should keep walking if you don't like the way a sim is run. Just check her post

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

If that would really be your attitude when running a roleplay dedicated sim, that "you're just a mere visitor" is not likely to get you far. 

Many RP’s make noobs start out as “Peons”.

• Haha 1

And many RP owners see themselves as gods even though they can't spell a single sentence without at least 3 errors, don't pay attention to their worshippers and then start to wonder why they are being replaced with a better one. ;)

Thinking of that...

12 minutes ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

It's one thing to own a sim and keep it up as some kind of exhibit for your creative decoration skills or whatever. But directing a roleplay ideally forms a dependency on one another - the sim / plot of land on good and dedicated players (which might help contributing to the costs, you never know) and the players on a well-kept plot.

What isn't needed is an uptight roleplay administrator who cannot accept anything beyond their own way of thinking. Before they start claiming "my sim, my rules", they better save their $300 and stay away from running such an interactive venue. 

Besides that, you basically agree to Fionalein in saying that you should keep walking if you don't like the way a sim is run. Just check her post

Umm, that's my attitude about ALL avs, and ALL sims...we are all just GUESTS of a sim, whether it is an RP sim or not. We are to abide by the rules set forth by the land owner. LL has given landowners this "right" to determine what they will and will not allow on land they are paying for (again, provided they are also following the LL provided TOS). So, yeah, while I agree that sims, rp and otherwise, are dependent upon both the owner as well as guests, *I* happen to believe that landowners get the ultimate say, because LL has said they do. 

When I visit another person's sim, *I* am a mere visitor, a guest, in their virtual space, and I respect my position as a guest. I see noting at all wrong with that. ;) 

There are tons of sims I never visit, because they are of no interest to me, and I have no interest in conforming with whatever rules the owners have set for them. I see no problem with that either.  I don't assume the landowner is uptight, a dictator, or any other negative thing. I respect that it is land they are paying for, in some fashion, and they can do what they want with it, and also allow/disallow anyone they want. I have the option to not patronize them. It really is that simple, lol. I'm not a fan of the whole "it's my sl I'll do what I want, where I want, how I want, looking the way I want..and there's nothing you can do about it, but if you try, I'll label you as something negative, just because".  That's just plain ignorant, and arrogant. 

1 hour ago, Tari Landar said:

If it makes me a "dictator"

Calling the sim owner names, or making outlandish claims about rights and freedom being taken away, doesn't make your stance any stronger, quite the opposite really. 

Erm,... I never called you a dictator, I never even called you anything, ...

... and shhh if you like to feel offended by things not targeted at you, at least get them right ;) here's a free language lesson: A tinpot dictator is no dictator, a tinpot dictator is more like a dictator wannabe. Usually the only person that considers a tinpot dictator a real dictator... is the tinpot dictator him/herself.

On 3/23/2018 at 11:06 AM, Fionalein said:

Speaking as someone who involved in the management of an estate comprising several Adult regions, I can assure you that are sorely mistaken.

If someone sees an avatar on an adult region playing with publicly-accessible adult toys and furniture, and reports that avatar for what LL call (inaccurately, to my mind, but anyway_ *****, then if LL think the avatar looks like an underage human, then both the avatar and the region owner are in trouble.   Doesn't matter how old the avatar is in anime years or dog  years or anything else.   It's how old in human years LL think it looks.   Our regular visitors get worried, too, when they see apparently underage avatars too near the sex toys, since they're worried about getting caught up in an AR, too.

Since we don't want the owner of our regions to get suspended or banned (a real risk) or even exposed to potential criminal prosecution (the owner lives in an country where that would be be possible) our staff will use their judgement and ask people to change their avatars or leave the region.    

Anyone who doesn't like it can set up their own Adult region, impose their interpretation of LL's rules (which we're all bound by) and hope for the best.   

Call us old-fashioned, but while you are on our land you abide by our rules.  

ETA: Blimey!   The content filter has blanked out the key words in http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Clarification_of_policy_disallowing_ageplay

Edited by Innula Zenovka
  • Like 1