Detachable Windows

Tyler Wasp

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1795 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I would personally love to see the SL viewer have the option for detachable windows. For instance the chat window could be open but could be moved outside the viewer's boarders. This would be very valuable to people with multiple monitors that wish to have chat and inventory open on screen 1 and the SL main window open on screen 2. 

• Like 5

Nice video, Whirly, BUT...

Wouldn't it be simple enough to have the floaters moveable to outside the parent window? If it were just a normal 'Windows' programme, it would simply mean checking a property of each child window before compiling, but I don't know about the viewer. It may just be that. The #1 advantage for me, and plenty of other people, would be the ability to move the script editor to another monitor, instead of having to use a seperate programme for it.

If Firestorm does it, I'll change to that viewer immediately.

Edited by Phil Deakins

Yeah it's not an easy task to get this to work for an SL viewer.
You can still try the Firestorm DUI proof of concept viewer shown in the video above, but remember it's a VERY out of date now & doesn't support Bento: http://downloads.firestormviewer.org/windows/Phoenix-FirestormOS-aprilalpha-4-6-1-40484_Setup.exe

The patch to add the DUI feature is available here: http://downloads.firestormviewer.org/beta/DUI.diff.gz

If you have a play with the DUI viewer, you'll see that it's pretty buggy, especially when doing inventory stuff outside of the main viewer. It's in a  very alpha state & would take a lot of work to fix all the bugs.  Unfortunately no one picked up that work.  The code is public though so anyone can pick this up & try to improve it.

Further details: http://www.firestormviewer.org/the-real-joke-dui-is-no-joke/

Yep. I didn't think it would be as simple as setting a floater to not be bound by the parent. I hope someone takes it up but, as Lil pointed out, the video and blog were circa 2014 and nobody took it on, so it's unlikely that anyone will now. I might just have a glance at the code but only for my own curiosity. There are 2 important things that I'm not too familiar with that prevent me from even considering giving it a go. One is the language it's written in. What language is it? The other is much more important though. I never got into OO programming, so I'd find it way too much of a struggle to even attempt the project. I'm an old-fashioned programmer :)

ETA: For me, the existing DUI viewer would be fine. I'd just use it as and when needed. I can't though, because the blog listed the floaters that can be moved outside the viewer, and the list didn't include the script editor :(

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

The patch to add the DUI feature is available here: http://downloads.firestormviewer.org/beta/DUI.diff.gz

I downloaded the viewer (I'm using it now), and I found that the patch isn't needed. The listed floaters move onto the other monitor just fine. What a pity that the script editor isn't one of them.

39 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

One is the language it's written in. What language is it?

C++
The UI is skinned in xml.

21 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

I downloaded the viewer (I'm using it now), and I found that the patch isn't needed.

The DUI viewer is built with the patch.  The patch is just available for anyone that wants to see the diff of the code to add the DUI feature.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

I wondered what happend to this and why nobody picked it up.  such a shame,  such a good proof of concept that we could have this .

It's a huge project and would be a lot of coding, a real lot to the point of a full time job for many months.  I get a feeling that most of the great volunteer coders just were not interested in extending it, they saw other things more important.

And of course, just because they create such a patch doesnt mean it will pass Oz Linden and the other gate keeper's QA procedures and be accepted. All that work, might never be approved, if it doesn't mesh with the views the Lab have.

Edit: Well, that's my 2 cents. People like Whirly know faaaaaar more than me.

Edited by Callum Meriman

• 1 year later...

I know i look like a guy with Necrophilia, and this thread is long dead, but is it possible to get detatchable windows in the current version, or does someone has a download for the old firestorm version with detatchable windows?

1 hour ago, punkmatsche said:

I know i look like a guy with Necrophilia, and this thread is long dead, but is it possible to get detatchable windows in the current version, or does someone has a download for the old firestorm version with detatchable windows?

no .. and read the thread :) the answer is there..
see the date posted for that viewer :
AGF-l7_hBRTo4-MR50LP1DACj_aOaoE_G1V7WBpk

Gepubliceerd op 1 apr. 2014

and ask yourself... what happens a lot at april 1st? ...

Edited by Fox Wijaya

9 hours ago, Fox Wijaya said:

no .. and read the thread :) the answer is there..
see the date posted for that viewer :
AGF-l7_hBRTo4-MR50LP1DACj_aOaoE_G1V7WBpk

Gepubliceerd op 1 apr. 2014

and ask yourself... what happens a lot at april 1st? ...

Cept they did a prank that was actually  real,  most of us used it,  it just no one picked it up and did anything with it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1795 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.