Mesh face discoloration/shadows

Sadvhi

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2394 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

If it looks fine on your screen then probably nothing you do is going to fix it - clearing your own cache isn't going to help at all.
The images look like they are taken on a system that has Hardware Skinning disabled.
On Firestorm: Preferences -> Graphics -> General -> Make sure "Hardware Skinning" is ticked on the observers systems.

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me with this issue! I do have Hardware Skinning ticked. I ended up logging in on different viewers this morning, and she looks totally fine, so it must be a Firestorm specific problem. Hopefully the weird coloring is only on my end so other people using Firestorm won't see my av looking like this lol. Thanks again for your help!

Just a note here. We cannot control how things look for others. So someone using a high to Ultra setting WILL see things differently than those on low settings. Sometime this IS problematic as in this case. It is more the settings than the viewer involved.  Hareware skinning is also an option in the Linden Viewer (Graphics > Advanced) so it isn't a viewer specific issue. 

2 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

Just a note here. We cannot control how things look for others. So someone using a high to Ultra setting WILL see things differently than those on low settings. Sometime this IS problematic as in this case. It is more the settings than the viewer involved.  Hareware skinning is also an option in the Linden Viewer (Graphics > Advanced) so it isn't a viewer specific issue. 

Thank you for clarifying this! I adjusted the quality/performance to High and the issue has resolved in Firestorm. I am so grateful to you for pointing this out!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sadvhi said:

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me with this issue! I do have Hardware Skinning ticked. I ended up logging in on different viewers this morning, and she looks totally fine, so it must be a Firestorm specific problem. Hopefully the weird coloring is only on my end so other people using Firestorm won't see my av looking like this lol. Thanks again for your help!

I think it sounds like you missed a point here? Others say your face is miscolorded.... They have to tick Hardware skinning. If they can not, will not, does not understand, then there is nothing that can be done. You can't fix their problems with low settings. No matter what you do on your viewer.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

I think it sounds like you missed a point here? Others say your face is miscolorded.... They have to tick Hardware skinning. If they can not, will not, does not understand, then there is nothing that can be done. You can't fix their problems with low settings. No matter what you do on your viewer.

I just meant that the issue was tied to graphics quality settings and wasn't a "Firestorm issue" as I had wrongly assumed. I do wish I could make it so that my avatar looks good for everyone, even those using lower settings - but realize now that it's just not possible. Some folks are going to see my mesh looking wonky and I just have to accept that:)

17 hours ago, LolitaFrance Anthony said:

What causes it? Does she need to buy a new computer, or upgrade her graphics card and/or memory card or whatever? I have no idea about computer stuff.

That has been answered.

Its an issue that appears for everyone that uses too low graphic settings, especially if someone has unchecked the setting "hardware skinning". Those are settings on the viewer. And she didn't need to do anything, as she said _others_ told her, that her avatar would look weird (she saw herself without problems).Those people might need a better computer, if increasing their graphic settings is too much to handle for their system.

Edited by Syo Emerald
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, LolitaFrance Anthony said:

What causes it?

Low end hardware and/or settings on the computer with the problem.

Does she need to buy a new computer, or upgrade her graphics card and/or memory card or whatever?

No.  She is not the one having problems.

What causes it? Does she need to buy a new computer, or upgrade her graphics card and/or memory card or whatever? I have no idea about computer stuff.

Changing graphics quality/performance from medium setting to high in Firestorm resolved the issue.

This happened to me actually a few nights ago trying to get a skin for my new mesh head. - but the difference between you and I, was that I could see my issue. 
My issue (not sure if its the same as yours) was the layer the skin was applying to on the head.

I solved it by first putting an entirely different skin applier on my head - to give a blank slate to start with, then applied the skin I wanted. It does look like (in your images) that you have a skin applied to the bottom, and the top half has the base skin.

Not sure which head you have but maybe try resetting your layers on your mesh head to all default and work from there?

Hope you figure it out! There are lots of great posts above mine that've mentioned it might not be your head at all, but your friend's viewer settings and level of graphics. Take all those posts into consideration before you stress about your avi that may just display perfectly fine. :)

Wow thank you for mentioning this! The issue did first appear after applying a new skin (it's a Totsipop infant avatar) - am going to put my settings back to Medium and try to see if the issue goes away after starting from scratch with a brand new head, then re-applying the skin. Very curious about this now:) 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2394 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.