Help with a viewer for a older computer

xortor

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1898 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi i play second life at the computer cafe but i got a old laptop from 2007 and it has been upgraded to windows ten.i tried firestorm,singularity and alchemy.all say i have a outdated graphics card is there a way i can play second life on this computer it use to play it back even in 2009 before the windows ten upgrade.there must be something i can do besides throw it away.

11 answers to this question

Hope for the best but don't expect it.  The world has moved on quite a bit in ten years, so SL and that computer are not in the same corner of the known universe any more.  If you are very lucky, you might be able to get minimal graphics and not make the machine catch fire if you use the Singularity viewer and are VERY gentle with your Preference settings.  I predict a lot of frustration and disappointment, though.  SL will not be as much fun as you want it to be.  If I were you, I would start saving lunch money to buy a new computer.

• Like 1

Do you need to toss the laptop? Maybe.

You can get a free program named CPU-Z. It will tell you which CPU you have. I suspect you have a Core-2 CPU. This is something like 8 generations back. These CPU's require a video card to run SL. There is no way around it. Nor can the CPU be upgraded to a newer one that would not require a video card. That would require replacing the motherboard with a newer tech board and that just doesn't happen for laptops. It is way cheap and easier to replace the laptop.

HOWEVER... you need to check your hardware to see if there is a built-in graphics processor made by NVIDIA or ATI. Quite often laptops with a video chip refuse to turn it on to save power. So, look up your computer specs to see if it has a dedicated video chip. If it does go into your video settings and make a gaming profile for SL. Set it for PERFORMANCE. You can Google for step-by-step instructions.

I summarized this on the cross-post from Technology > Viewer

In that case, without knowing specifically what the machine is, im gonna say its not going to be playable.

The pinnacle of the average laptop in 2007 being a Thinkpad T61, you have either Intel Graphics Media accelerator x3100 (most common for ANY laptop of the mobile core2duo era) which wont run Secondlife even with the legacy viewer (ive tried). A quadro NVS 140m or other similar era quadro, which is only better than the integrated stuff in the sense that it has faster and higher amounts of video memory. Which may actually be "playable", but it will not be enjoyable. The game will load, it will have the bare minimum specs on paper (you dont "need" the minimum listed Geforce 6600), but it will be incredibly low framerate on bare minimum settings.

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:T61

Even a decent "gaming laptop" from 2007 youre looking at more mobile core2duos and things like a Quadro FX 1600M, which is bsically an 8700M GT with 256mb of video memory which isnt much better. And really that 8700M GT was about the pinnacle of 2007 laptops. People say (and its true) that CPU is more important for SL, where ya know, a core2duo will be OK, not great, but ok. But this is the point where the old GPU is actually going to be holding you back.

If you have anything less than a high end gaming laptop from 2007, sorry, not even the legacy viewer will make the game enjoyable.

To tl;dr it, pretty much no matter what it is, SL either wont even start or it will be so terrible and laggy it would be considered unplayable by even the most hardcore 1fps dwarf fortress players.

I run Firestorm on a laptop over 10 years old, and I got it running Windows 10. I wibble wobbled it as much as I can. Need $$$ for upgrades, but not enough money or good jobs to even handle rent.

But, is possible if you have all your hardware drivers updated. Depending on your install/upgrade, you may have OS conflicts from previous versions, or too much stuff to give a good size swap file a chance.

I run my viewer on the lowest low graphic settings, and I hide all non-friend avis when in crowded places. It crashes constantly, and I even run on 2M download speeds (yes, two meg, the best I can afford).

Maybe try cleaning your system with Ccleaner Free by Piriform, boot into Safe Mode (F8 on bootup) with Command Prompt and "chkdsk /f/r" (no quotes, of course), then boot back and run a good defrag with Defraggler Free, also by Piriform. Some basics to start with.

I use a special service called Frame that allows you to run second life viewers in the cloud.  You will get ultra high graphics and very little lag, as if you have an amazing graphics gaming computer. You will have to pay something like $20 per month to use it but it is worth it.  Here is the link: https://fra.me

Good luck!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CherishSweetThings said:

I use a special service called Frame that allows you to run second life viewers in the cloud.  You will get ultra high graphics and very little lag, as if you have an amazing graphics gaming computer. You will have to pay something like $20 per month to use it but it is worth it.  Here is the link: https://fra.me

Good luck!

Yeah Fra.me is good. As long as you have a decntly fast internet connection, you can run SL viewers on a toaster through Fra.me.

There is actually a dedicated service that uses Fra.me to stream SL viewers called Bright Canopy - details here: https://www.brightcanopy.com/

• Haha 1

Hello  if you are on windows 10, and the grapic card says  it needs  updating ..u need to dowload the 32 bit firestorm vierer and not the 62 bit one..problem solved... might still need to downloas a new driver on occasion..i have the same problem.... so whenever it is a new dowload remeber to download the 32 bit one  from now on..or until you get a new laptop ..gl mrsrambo29 aka Kate ambo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1898 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.