International credit card issue problem?

Trin1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2394 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 hours ago, Trin1 said:

So I'm guessing there's an issue with their automated system or someone is drunk emailing.

2 hours ago, Trin1 said:

But I am a US customer that uses paypal so I'm a bit confused...

Important Update for International Credit Card Users

our International Billing system

some Residents outside the United States with a Credit Card

we encourage all Residents outside of the United States

how often you want to hear/read it more in the article?

1 hour ago, Alwin Alcott said:

Important Update for International Credit Card Users

our International Billing system

some Residents outside the United States with a Credit Card

we encourage all Residents outside of the United States

how often you want to hear/read it more in the article?

While the 'blog article' says "outside the United States', the email does specifically say "we identified you as being impacted".  That is where the confusion comes in.  I also received the email yet I live in the US and have never had a credit card attached to my account.  

Given all of that and the fact that I don't recall ever getting an LL email that was not addressed to my avatar (and this one was not), I at first thought it was a phishing attempt.  I was going to report it when I received the email from the grid status update page that referenced the blog article.  After reading the blog post, I decided that something about their identifying process on this was screwed up and some folks simply got the email by mistake.

3 hours ago, Trin1 said:

The email specifically said I was affected.

So I'm guessing there's an issue with their automated system or someone is drunk emailing.

You can ignore the email - yes a mistake somewhere within that identifying / emailing process.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Given all of that and the fact that I don't recall ever getting an LL email that was not addressed to my avatar (and this one was not),

that happens more when it are general emails, if i remember well also the announcements for rebates and other promotional activities are sometimes send without account names.

But i'm glad you ended as my original remark... ignore it.

56 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

You can ignore the email - yes a mistake somewhere within that identifying / emailing process

I guessed as much, but thanks for a proper reply.

I dislike when people give snooty replies to something that may be nothing important or could be serious.

In the wake of the Equifax incident anything involving these kind of issues should be treated as serious until proven otherwise.

Edited by Trin1
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

After reading the blog post, I decided that something about their identifying process on this was screwed up and some folks simply got the email by mistake.

A supporting datapoint: I have several accounts with credit card info, foreign billing addresses, and distinct emails. Some got the email but one did not.

I went in this morning and updated payment info for all of them, hoping to "trick" the system into recognizing I'm using a US credit card so it doesn't need to take payment in CDN$ for which I have to pay a currency exchange fee and which they then must exchange back to USD. That problem started some months ago and stayed unresolved despite a call to the Lab's billing support and a different choice of credit card.

It's still mysterious what we're really doing, those of us who are deleting and replacing our credit card info. I understand that LL is preparing to use a different processing agent, but some system has our info now, so why can't that system export that info to the new agent? And we're now entering our information into some system that's also used for normal account processing for billing by the old agent between now and the end of the month when the new agent takes over. Maybe they're interposing some data collection process in front of the current agent, with which to gather all non-US billing info all over again -- but that would be so inelegant that lawyers must be involved.

Edited by Qie Niangao

3 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

yes and for sure when you can check if it's real in one click..

Perhaps save that kind asshattery sounding comments for someone who has genuinely earned it, there are plenty of candidates posting topics.

Scolding someone for extra care and doubt in such delicate topics like payment information seems a bit uncalled for.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

yes and for sure when you can check if it's real in one click.. oh it leads to the official LL website...that should given your answer already.

Please use your brain, OBVIOUSLY I read the blog post I linked to.

But when a message they send you says that you are affected by it common sense tells you that the blog post either left something out or someone F'd up somewhere.

You would be horrible at customer service and be fired by the end of the day.

Edited by Trin1
  • Like 1

• Community Manager
The email was legitimately from Linden Lab, and our intent was to spread the message first shared on the official blog: https://community.secondlife.com/blogs/entry/2251-important-update-for-international-credit-card-users/

However, it was mistakenly sent to a list of Residents that included some who are not actually at risk of being impacted by the change.

Our sincere apologies for the misdirected email as well as for any concern and confusion that's resulted from it. We are taking steps to improve our process for such communications in the future to avoid errors like this and to ensure that we make it as easy as possible for Residents to identify and confirm legitimate communications from Linden Lab.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 7
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2394 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.