OutWorld email to inworld IM?

Kantbe Thursday

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2399 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I regularly use email to respond to IM's I've received inworld when I'm not able to log in with an SL client and only have access to email.  It seems as if the IM support from the web based My Second Life is just a tease and tries to launch the SL Viewer.  Is there a way to originate an IM to someone (not a reply) via email, even if it means leaving some sort of scripted object inworld to which you send the email and it can somehow parse out the Avatar name and generate an inworld Object IM?

TIA - Kantbe Thursday

2 hours ago, Kantbe Thursday said:

I've found a script that can be put in an inworld object that will provide you it's email addy when rezzed, but it seems to be set up to send an IM to the object owner.  Are you aware of a script that somehow parses out the AV name as the IM destination?

This is not the only one, just an example. I've had one for years. Yes, you can initiate convos with other Residents from email https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/RD-Email-to-IM/390902

I feel a little silly for not having looked at MarketPlace instead of first thinking to build something.  RD Email to IM looks great!  I did find another one that basically has taken the freely available scripts, modified it a bit inside some prims, and packaged it up for easy set up and use.  You're absolutely right in there are several options out there.  I picked up https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/TaSteLeSS-Communication-Gadgets-Email-IM/2669892 for $50L and trying it out now.  It seems to work for what I was wanting.

Thanks for all the help!!!

• Like 1

Now that I've used it for a few days, I am discovering something.  While I'm able to originate a message to someone inworld, it goes as an Object message in Local Chat.  Most of the people I've sent messages to don't notice it, or ignore it because it looks like a generated chat (which it is).  I've not tested it yet, but I'm not sure if object messages get queued up on local chat for the next time someone logs in, or if it's just lost if the person isn't logging local chat.

--------UPDATE------

Just tested it and the message does get queued up to be displayed with the AV logs in.

Edited by Kantbe Thursday

18 minutes ago, Kantbe Thursday said:

Now that I've used it for a few days, I am discovering something.  While I'm able to originate a message to someone inworld, it goes as an Object message in Local Chat.  Most of the people I've sent messages to don't notice it, or ignore it because it looks like a generated chat (which it is).  I've not tested it yet, but I'm not sure if object messages get queued up on local chat for the next time someone logs in, or if it's just lost if the person isn't logging local chat.

It depends on the implementation. If it is simply outputting generic text into general then it will get lost but certain types of chatter that show up in general can be forwarded to Email or will show up if sent while someone is offline.

The reality though is that you cannot send a proper account to account IM from your Email unless you are responding to an offline someone sent you.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2399 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.