When was your lowest point in SL and what caused it?

Come November I will have been in SL for 11 years. Looking back I can see that there definitely was a low point. That one moment where everything hit rock bottom. Mine was 21 November 2009. One simple picture with a capture bemoaning the loss of a long time resident and wondering if the future would see a revival in a community. I was asked to pack up and leave, all over a misunderstanding. I felt so completely lost and forsaken by the bad turn of events. Rejection in SL is as painful as it is in RL. I realized that some of it was my fault. My real life was crumbling around me, a recent miscarriage and a failing marriage were taking its toll. I certainly wasn't a wholly positive person to be around at times. For the next couple of years, I foundered and wondered why I even bothered with SL, but I remained. I met a few good people who helped me out and by 2012 things vastly improved.

4121329041_dc33651403_o_d.jpg

BleaknessDouble Rainbow - 1

• Like 8

I don't remember the exact date but it was sometime between July 27th and December 21st 2008. I had finally joined SL in July with the hopes of getting Rhonda's attention, which was a struggle all on it's own. However, once I did have her attention, it became painfully obvious that various people for various reasons did not want me involved with Rhonda's main or any of her alts. So she decided we would run away and create Rhonda and Clover and the rest as they say is catnip!

• Like 10

It was June 2013 and the loss of a close SL friend in tragic circumstances. Feeling helpless. 

I set up a FB memorial page with lots of pictures of her avi having fun which her real parents appreciated and arranged a small fundraiser which made enough to give her parents a little money to buy her 2 children (now orphans) a little present when the time is right.  It helped a little to do something and we were lucky that we had contact with her real family

• Like 2

About 15 mins after creating my first account, when I arrived at an 'Infohub' and heard for the very first time the horror that is "infohub voice-spam chaos"...

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, Klytyna said:

About 15 mins after creating my first account, when I arrived at an 'Infohub' and heard for the very first time the horror that is "infohub voice-spam chaos"...

It happened to me even earlier.
As a fresh born and ugly newbie, i didnt want to be between all the other ugly newbies. So i just ran off to a random direction until i got stuck at the sim border.
Needless to say it took me a while to figure out, how to get to another place, because i didnt use the help they had put for newbies like me.

• Like 1

I joined SL in July of 2015, started my trip along the learning curve, discovered the great shopping opportunities, and also the fact I could get money by pole dancing, I then started making art and trying to sell that, and I discovered a photo contest at one of the nude beaches I went to. The photo contest worked by having a big board with all the pictures, and people could buy votes for their favorites. I got a bunch of my friends to vote, and got second place, which had an 8000L prize. I was still new enough to think I was rich, and so I spent money like a rich girl. In July of 2016, I had 85L, closed my art gallery and gave up my apartment cause I could not afford the rents, and was considering quitting SL, cause it wasn't any fun anymore. I was thinking I would just be a homeless person on a beach, and I was not very interested in that at all.

Before I left though I met this guy who invited me to come live with him in his 8 room house on his private sim. That relationship only lasted a month and a half, but when I left, I left having figured two things out. 1 I can't expect anyone else to make my SL dreams come true, and 2, SL is like a concert, with people in the audience and people on stage entertaining, the view is better from the stage. 

• Like 4

I've only been hanging around SL since January of this year and so I haven't really had time to develop deep and meaningful friendships that might head south and cause me lots of woe. And I am still figuring out what this parallel universe is for me anyway -- but then again I am still doing that in my RL too! So my worst moment was pretty early on and I was hanging out on top of what I thought was a pretty remote mountain. I hadn't really figured out anything about private dressing rooms, and was (as I still am) homeless living on a beach. So I was up there thinking I had some privacy changing clothes and twiddling with my appearance and suddenly someone starts hurling all of these giant man parts at me. It freaked me out at the time even though looking back it is all pretty silly. But I thought to myself oh my God why are people such ridiculous jerks and what on earth am am doing here if people act like this to total strangers? Pretty soon I figured out that it's only at places closely connected to info hubs and of course Freebie Galaxy that one can expect griefer attacks like that. Since then my explorations have taken me far and wide and most people I encounter are really friendly and the few who IM things like "Come to my dungeon!" or even just "Hi!" followed by a long and deafening silence, usually go away politely when I say thanks for the offer but I am not interested.

Edited by Sagadin
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Sagadin said:

"Hi!" followed by a long and deafening silence

Oh, the dreaded "Hi" word. Hardly a word to start a conversation with, and one of my biggest pet peeves in any world. A laugh has more syllables.

I've had a few low points, some have been intertwined with RL events that caused my SL escape to be much more painful to bear. In one of the darker times of my life, I had returned from a rather long deployment in the military (RL) to discover that one of my closest RL friends had died due to complications with diabetes. I logged in to distract myself from the pain and take solace in my friendships in SL to discover that one of my SL friends had disappeared. I found out a few weeks later that he'd died in a car crash in RL- a family member had discovered some logs on his desktop that had been saved from SL, and had logged in to figure out how to send a message to let friends know. The best thing about SL is making friends you might not be able to make in RL. The worst thing about SL is that they ARE real people and you can lose them as well. 

I'm glad to hear that you are all doing better, and hope things continue to go in an upward direction!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I think we all have had our ups and downs in SL and my first time leaving was due to my inability to make connections with anyone in a deep and meaningful way.  I am happy to report that i have found a few close friends my second time around in SL and that virtual life is good, but hey make no mistake about it Charles Dickens was writing about SL in his book A Tale of Two Cities (written in 1859) when he wrote:

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way – in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.

• Like 3

after spending a year learning how to make virtual goods and creating many with the hope of making an income, I then discovered Copybot had been invented.  

Somewhere between the disgust that security allowed the theft of virtual goods and struggling with addiction to it I cancelled the accounts and they layed dormant for a year.  When I saw mesh  was coming and the opportunities that presented I decided to return.  

• Like 3

On 9/25/2017 at 12:45 AM, Clover Jinx said:

I don't remember the exact date but it was sometime between July 27th and December 21st 2008. I had finally joined SL in July with the hopes of getting Rhonda's attention, which was a struggle all on it's own. However, once I did have her attention, it became painfully obvious that various people for various reasons did not want me involved with Rhonda's main or any of her alts. So she decided we would run away and create Rhonda and Clover and the rest as they say is catnip!

I've certainly been there myself. I had a friend I enjoyed spending time with, but one of her other friends became jealous and did all she could to push me away from my her.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, GoSpeed Racer said:

I've certainly been there myself. I had a friend I enjoyed spending time with, but one of her other friends became jealous and did all she could to push me away from my her.

:( / :)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Soon 11 years too and the bottomline was about 3 years ago when my SL fell apart.

Friends left, couldn´t do SL work anymore for RL reasons so i lost the point of being here.

3 years later, im still member of the community but with some "updates" SL received i never found my way back to be a part.

Monti

phew...

the times when I tried SL relationships... I´ve been cheated on, I poofed twice over RL breakups (one time I HAD to because well ... I lived with my uncle for 6 months and finding a  new RL flat  did have some priority ;) ), I blogged myself into the borderlining area of a burnout when I was supposed to learn for my A-Levels (well I did revise the odd thing.... pupils I´m a sh**ty example xD)

there were a few

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

OMG - That sure brings back memories

I'm now convinced our president and him are one and the same person LOL

2 hours ago, Clover Jinx said:

Even that was too much =~.^=

Truth

• Haha 3

When I bought my current home parcel and realized I could terraform 40m down.

Oh wait... we're not actually looking for the 'lowest'? :P

I don't tend to feel negative emotion the way most people do. An early lifetime of racially driven violent attacks by peers and even the white side of my own family made me kind of 'tolerant' of tragedy and able to just get back up and move on. I frustratingly share with 'Trump' an ability to thrive when under fire and in conflict, but unlike him have learned to prefer not being there.

For most people the conflicts I had in 2011 and 2013 on two different 'SL related social media platforms' would be low points.
- I starkly remember those, but they didn't take me to 'bad places' personally. They just burned a lot of bridges and then I moved on.

Hmmm...

This might by the lowest time in SL for me, at present. Almost all my staple of friends are gone. I spend my time generally solo in SL now.

That is not conflict... it's just kind of "what now..."

Loosing the love of my SL- Lucy.

I wont go into details but yeah,..it hurt! A lot!

Still does!

59cc25be7c918_ZiggyLucy.JPG.ac048c678148e196050397800999d5b4.JPG

Edited by Zsigmond Alcott
New Pic
  • Sad 3

November 2015 until today pretty much. I started SL for the music, to perform it. Managed several Clubs and opened up for many different ones as they popped up. Was a banging time, loved it. Invested over 1500$ in gear to do so and my partner decided one day to take our club with all the staff away without a reason and word to open up a new one with a new avatar. Havent been live in SL until today, no spark anymore or depression whatever, I log in maybe once a month if even and if I do I create some stuff for Médecins Sans Frontières or Relay For Life when im bored. Noticed that a lot of friends quit over these 2 years on top of it.

Very recently was my lowest point. I got a lovely plot with a house looking over the sea but then my few friends i had joined communities and families which meant I was left by myself :(  It got to the point I thought shall I just leave SL but I've decided to stay for now to see how things turn out..

• Sad 1

That moment (a few days ago) when I discovered a thing called 'Linden purchase limits'.

Edited by AnyaJurelle
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4