If avatars were required to eat and rest

bebejee

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2394 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Maybe as an optional roleplay sort of thing, but making something like this part of the game would make it more of a chore and less of a fun experience.

"Oh its 3am, i have free time, ill go play SL"

"Nevermind, my player is starving and passed out on the sofa"

"just like me"

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

25 minutes ago, bebejee said:

Restaurant business would boom as would rentals, an avatar would not be refreshed or energized by logging off. Be more fun?

This brought back horrible memories of those Tamogatchi things I used to have to feed for my children when they went to school

• Like 6

Yeah I was also remembering many old video games that had this "feature" as well. Characters dying on the way to the dragon's lair because they forgot to pack a sandwich... :/

I guess in SL, it would clear out all those tiny empires bots under the waters of sailing sims... and it might make it easier to get into monthly shopping events if the avatars of half the people going died in the process of trying to get there... :ph34r:

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

I'm fairly certain that there are roleplay HUDs or systems or whatever which will allow you to play your SL that way, if you wish to.

I would not have any interest in such limiting features.

EDIT: Yeah, there are and there are scams... and for some reason, I now feel tempted to reinstall any of the The Sims games...

Edited by Lillith Hapmouche
Note taken ;)
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

I'm fairly certain that there are roleplay HUDs or systems or whatever which will allow you to play your SL that way, if you wish to.

I would not have any interest in such limiting features.

Yes, such system exist. You even get sick if you don't poop often enough  :D

• Haha 4

The LIFE system does all these things - you have meters that require you to eat, sleep, exercise, etc. Entirely voluntary, and you can purchase packs of the scripts if you'd like to be a creator. This system is quite popular in family roleplay communities, etc. Not ideal, as other said, because you are throwing money into SL to purchase these items, but some folks do like the realistic aspect. I tried it once, but forgot to sleep and my "chart" was NOT happy with me. 

I can't decide if this is one of those awful "Sacrifice fun on the altar of immersive rp" threads or one of those awful "Make fun in SL a Premi-Nazi only thing, pay or die" threads, either way...

Just NO... Bloody awful idea...

[/thread]

11 hours ago, norajulian said:

The LIFE system does all these things - you have meters that require you to eat, sleep, exercise, etc. Entirely voluntary, and you can purchase packs of the scripts if you'd like to be a creator. This system is quite popular in family roleplay communities, etc. Not ideal, as other said, because you are throwing money into SL to purchase these items, but some folks do like the realistic aspect. I tried it once, but forgot to sleep and my "chart" was NOT happy with me. 

I've been using huds to give my avatar needs that must be fulfilled (i.e., hunger, thirst. rest, bathroom, hygiene, entertainment and fitness) for 4 years now, starting with the Little Minders hud. Because I participate in family roleplay, it definitely adds to the realism. I even add the huds to my smartbot pets so I have to take care of their needs also, just like in real life. I also prefer prim and smartbot babies that you have to feed/change/bathe, but I can't afford to buy items for my human characters as well as my pets and babies at present. I also really enjoy growing and cooking my own food. Using these systems is my favorite aspect of SL right now, and has been since I first discovered them. 

If they had to eat SL diet industry would take off soon after with fat blaster scripts and HUD attachments for sale in the MP. 

There would be a boom in Facebook too with everyone sharing thier meal pictures.  

My Vegan avatar would have to search all over to find something to eat as usual because all the food in most places contains factory farmed furries. 

Chardy would have to struggle with the ethics of eating free range breedables too. 

Edited by chardonay Babii

I could see this working as a role play thing but if the whole population had to eat and rest it would turn Secondlife in to The Sims and we'd have to wait for the news paper so we could get jobs as a 'paste wrangler' or 'football team mascot' so we could afford to eat and have a little bolt hole to rest in. If there was no time to do SL things i think that would eventually sap out all the fun 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

You can't just throw in eating and sleeping into SL. It would require a huge change in the behavior of every resident and likely be considered to make SL less fun. 

This right here.

Something like that has to be designed from the ground up, like all of those DayZ clones on Steam.

20 hours ago, Cindy Evanier said:

This brought back horrible memories of those Tamogatchi things I used to have to feed for my children when they went to school

That's the 1st thing that came in my mind when I read this thread.

As a rp HUD? Well why not. I believe we already similar things. But as a requirement for all avies? I really don't think that many people are in this kind of 'fun'.

13 hours ago, Talligurl said:

Maybe if you couldn't have sex if you were hungry, "hey baby can we?", I am famished take me out to eat first.

It's SL, expect it to work the other way. "I'm hungry. Can we go out and find a restaurant? I've the right sausage for you to eat, come here..."

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I think this is best left as being an optional feature for people who want to add additional immersion to their role play, and there are already several systems available to do that.  In my opinion the best systems are ones which you can choose to wear, or not wear, without any adverse impact on your avatar when the hud is not being worn, and a system where you do not keep having to buy things in order to use it.   For example, there is a system geared toward child avatars where a lot of the food items are copy, so you can buy 1 or 2 meals to start, and then keep using them over and over, without having to buy a new meal each time you need to eat.  These types of systems should add to RP, rather than hinder RP.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2394 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.