Removing profile from search

Vivian Shadowcry

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 660 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

15 answers to this question

This is a social world, and your profile is public knowledge so, no, you can't hide it.  However, you can increase your level of privacy within limits.  Open your profile and select Settings >>> Privacy .  You'll see eight categories.  Personally, I prefer to set all of them to their most restrictive level so that people can't post on my fee or read many of the details in my profile.  You can pick and choose which ones you want to set.

If nobody has any objections, may I just raise this thread from the dead to add that if using Firestorm Viewer, yes, you can.

Preferences > Privacy > General > untick "Show my profile info in Search results". 

At least, it's supposed to work, but perhaps takes a few days or so to kick in.

1 hour ago, AnyaJurelle said:

If nobody has any objections, may I just raise this thread from the dead to add that if using Firestorm Viewer, yes, you can.

Preferences > Privacy > General > untick "Show my profile info in Search results". 

At least, it's supposed to work, but perhaps takes a few days or so to kick in.

It doesn't appear to work and neither does unclicking the 'Show in search' box on the inworld profile itself.  

I have an alt that unchecked the profile box and the Firestorm setting long ago.  I have another alt that is not on her Friends list, yet alt-2 can search inworld and find alt-1's profile -- via web search and legacy People search.  Also, alt-2 could log into their own web profile and search there and also find the profile for alt-1.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

It doesn't appear to work and neither does unclicking the 'Show in search' box on the inworld profile itself.  

I have an alt that unchecked the profile box and the Firestorm setting long ago.  I have another alt that is not on her Friends list, yet alt-2 can search inworld and find alt-1's profile -- via web search and legacy People search.  Also, alt-2 could log into their own web profile and search there and also find the profile for alt-1.

*groan*  Thank you so much for confirming it doesn't work, Jewell. Will have to delete picks, groups and profile stuff.

Oh, Chuck-yyyyyy - how would you like your very own profile pic?

5 minutes ago, AnyaJurelle said:

*groan*  Thank you so much for confirming it doesn't work, Jewell. Will have to delete picks, groups and profile stuff.

Oh, Chuck-yyyyyy - how would you like your very own profile pic?

Unless you just deleted them - I cannot see your groups and I see no Picks, even though I do see your profile and found it via search.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Unless you just deleted them - I cannot see your groups and I see no Picks, even though I do see your profile and found it via search.

I left a ton of groups, deleted all the pics and profile links and just now put up a new profile pic. Let them salivate over that if they will, the sick puppies.

23 minutes ago, AnyaJurelle said:

I left a ton of groups, deleted all the pics and profile links and just now put up a new profile pic. Let them salivate over that if they will, the sick puppies.

I'm guessing then that you've checked each group's individual box to not show it in the profile then, as there are no groups shown on your inworld profile or web profile.

The only info on your profile, beside the darling Chucky pic, is your flickr link - on the Web tab of the inworld legacy profile and in the Homepage section of the web profile. And your old pic is still showing in some places (search results, web page of legacy profile, main page of web profile) - it must take a while to get through all locations.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I'm guessing then that you've checked each group's individual box to not show it in the profile then, as there are no groups shown on your inworld profile or web profile.

The only info on your profile, beside the darling Chucky pic, is your flickr link - on the Web tab of the inworld legacy profile and in the Homepage section of the web profile. And your old pic is still showing in some places (search results, web page of legacy profile, main page of web profile) - it must take a while to get through all locations.

Evidently, since I've had my Linden home for a year now without a peep from neighbours - yet 5 minutes after changing/deleting everything a 'new neighbour' suddenly decides to IM a 'hello' and jabber like a monkey in a tree about my profile pic and flickr?

What a confusing conversation.....for both of us. Until a friend told me older viewers can take a while to update...then the coin dropped.

Edit: Yes, unchecked the remaining 'show in profile' boxes, as well. Most were already unchecked :)

Edited by AnyaJurelle

9 minutes ago, Knobs Slade said:

Now you can change your name completely, that's the closest thing to starting over short of making a new character. Your UUID remains the same though.

True, although if you're counting on that as a way to hide, it won't work. Because your UUID doesn't change, anyone who knows your previous name or your UUID can easily find your new name with a fairly simple LSL script.

19 hours ago, Knobs Slade said:

Now you can change your name completely, that's the closest thing to starting over short of making a new character. Your UUID remains the same though.

Though it won't have anything at all to do with whether or not your profile shows in Search - which is what the OP was asking about.

• Like 1

On 9/22/2017 at 11:42 PM, Rolig Loon said:

This is a social world, and your profile is public knowledge so, no, you can't hide it.  However, you can increase your level of privacy within limits.  Open your profile and select Settings >>> Privacy.  You'll see eight categories.  Personally, I prefer to set all of them to their most restrictive level so that people can't post on my fee or read many of the details in my profile.  You can pick and choose which ones you want to set.

This helped me out. I just got a creepy IM from a weird drunk flirty person who didn't get the hint that I was not into flirting... but I also think that blocking is helpful just in case. -New SL User

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 660 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.