Photoshop and mesh

Moxiluscious

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1340 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

First off I'm not sure if this is where I should post so I'm sorry if I'm in the wrong place.

To start, Photoshop is my thing so it's easier for me to work with.  There are a billion YouTube's out there and it's really hard to find a starting place. With that being said can anyone direct me to the proper channels in the beginning of a mesh creation journey?

To clarify I'd like to learn how to build and specially mesh. Please help

Thanks!   

Moxi

Well, you don't start with Photoshop. It's a great program for creating textures, but it doesn't include any tools for 3D modeling, so you can't use it to create mesh. There are several popular modeling programs, but Blender is the one in most common use in SL, at least partly because it is free.  Any 3D modeling program has a steep learning curve, so prepare for a few months of learning and practice.  You'll find a very large number of Blender tutorials aimed at SL creators.  The real problem is that they have been accumulating over several years, so many of them refer to older versions of the program.  The thing to do is download and install the current version and then look primarily for tutorials that were made for versions no more than a couple of years old (2.7x).

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Moxiluscious said:

Unless, I'm seeing something different of course....

I've been using Photoshop for over ten years.  It can do many magical tricks, but not modeling. You can create a texture on 3D objects with Photoshop, but you cannot make the objects themselves.  If you create a mesh model with another program like Blender or Maya, you can import it to PS for texturing (although you can also texture it in those programs as well).

• Like 1

and the most important advice of all, that you should use the Beta Grid (aditi) to test and test and test, before paying to upload either textures or meshes to the main SL grid.  Unless you are a billionaire, of course.

I learned Blender over the last 2 years.  Still learning.....

Edited by anna2358

If you're new to 3D modeling and are looking for a (relatively) simple way to get started then, assuming you own a graphics tablet, you may want to try a 30 day demo of 3D Coat.  Since it's a 3D Sculpting app as opposed to traditional 3D Modeling software it has a more artistic/less technical workflow, and shares some similarities with Photoshop (especially when it comes to the texturing tools which use pretty much the same system of layers & blending modes, etc) so the workflow should feel relatively familiar to you.

As has already been pointed out learning any 3D app will take time, however 3D sculpting apps tend to take some of the initial edge off since it's fairly easy to jump in and at least start making some interesting shapes and models without having too much background knowledge or technical expertise, and the official 3D Coat youtube channel is pretty comprehensive (they have nearly 400 videos currently listed and they're constantly adding new tutorials/updating older ones to account for new features) so there's plenty of up to date information available. 

Photoshop can create some 3D models, but they are very limited and not the type of mesh files you need for SL. You can extrude from a smart object or shape, you can extrude from a grayscale image and make and texture primitive shapes but that's pretty much it. So you are correct that Photoshop can do a little bit of 3D modeling, but not meshes or rigging at all.

I understand the pain, as I'm also mostly a 2D designer and I would love it if I could use Photoshop for everything but we just can't for mesh... at least not rigged mesh. You could maybe export an obj file out of Photoshop and import it into Blender? But I'm not entirely sure that would work or what any issues might be to do it that way.

I've heard a lot of good things about 3D Coat but haven't tried it, it's not as expensive as Zbrush or Maya but it's more expensive than Avastar (just under $40) or Blender, which is free. Those are also the programs you will find the most tutorials and tips for relating to SL.

Just FYI because I thought it was a solution before I learned about its limitations, ZbrushCore is one I had thought I could use to model meshes for SL but I don't think you can do rigging, weight mapping or animation and you also can't get UV and texture maps generated there like you can with the full version. It's only around $150 which is great in terms of an awesome 3D sculpting program but it's geared more towards 3D printing rather than games.

I think you could use Zbrushcore for sculpting things that don't need to be tightly fit and weighted to the avatar body if you think it's a better fit for you, then bring it into Blender to create your UV and texture maps and export it all through the Avastar plugin so it's compatible with SL.

If I'm wrong about any of these points please do correct me.

• 1 month later...

You can technically do 3D  mesh in photoshop but it’s monotonous and very time consuming. And you would likely run into more problems as you attempt render it into SL as it’s meant for dropping 3D objects into a scene. Something Dimensions now does better.

• 1 year later...

Hi All, just need some clarification, almost 1.5 years down the line... I understand the boundaries of PS, but with the current version, I have been able to create logo's (for a new club) and import them as Mesh into SL. Now, of course, a logo is nothing like an AV or something complex, but I want to start of lightly and Blender is way above my pay-grade (or intellectual capabilities), lol

As proposed by the last poster, I've looked at Dimensions, which looks great but at the end of the instruction vid (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ne2VZQngI50,) it looks like you CAN export a PS file to create an image(!) but not the actual object which was created, in this case a sculpture. Am I right in assuming that Dimensions cannot do this?

On top of this question: SL needs separate files on import of the model to get the LI down, a Low vertex file e.g. Can these be created by PS and if so how?

Thanks in advance!

I know it can be confusing. The most important thing you need to understand re mesh and Second Life is that you need software that will let you make LOW POLY - GAME ASSET mesh.   Some 3D programs only create high poly mesh which is normally used to make renders (photographs) for magazine ads and such. 

The most popular 3D software used in Second Life is BLENDER (mostly because it is free and the others are very expensive). 

If you are looking for a beginning step by step mesh tutorial for Second Life I made a series awhile back. They are here:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLnUjXtZrc64laa7-1NUSY8pjXedwQj7kn

NOTE THAT YOU WILL NEED TO USE Blender 2.79 and not 2.8 as many things have changed in 2.8.  There may be new tutorials for Second Life out for 2.8 but I haven't heard of any. 

• 1 year later...

Hello Everyone,

i tried to make a simple cutout mesh shape for Second Life in Photoshop.

That was quick and easy and turned out perfect for what i need.  Now my problem is the cutout texture i used to make the shape dont fits exactly in sl.

actually it should match the shape exactly,but its slightly wrong and even if i stretch it inworld, it dont get the perfect fit... what have i done wrong?

when i open the mesh file in photoshop again the texture fits perfect....

any ideas?

Greetings NIL

If you can't do polygon-level editing with your tool of choice, you are using the wrong tool for a game-type platform like SL and most likely producing garbage models.

There is an entire chasm between what is considered accetable for general purpose modeling and game-grade modeling.

Edited by Kyrah Abattoir

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1340 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.