Gta v sux

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2378 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, FragmentationGamingYT said:

Guys GTA V is a limited game it just have good graphics  WELL if you turn  the SL to ULTRA it will be better than gta v

also you dont l nothing with gta v in sl you learn scripting building roleplay What good have GTA v? it sux lol

And this is relevant to SL .... how?

• Like 3

I mean, i guess it fits "everything else", kinda?

GTA V is drastically different from SL from the simple stuff like its graphics to the entire basis of its gameplay. SL is a virtual social world, you talk to people and do things. I guess GTA online is similar but more restricted. And i would say that on max settings, GTA V looks better than secondlife. Though thats really up to personal opinion, there are some great looking places in SL but theres still that whole obvious look of meshes and harsh edges. GTA V doesnt have that since its a prerendered world that was designed meticulously to look seamless.

1 hour ago, cykarushb said:

I mean, i guess it fits "everything else", kinda?

Well, yeah ....  but why would anybody in SL care what people think about a completely different "game" somewhere else?  And why is this posted in Answers, which is supposed to be a place for residents to ask questions about how SL works (or why it doesn't)?  This doesn't belong anywhere in the forums, much less Answers.  O.o

• Like 4

10 hours ago, FragmentationGamingYT said:

Guys GTA V is a limited game it just have good graphics  WELL if you turn  the SL to ULTRA it will be better than gta v

also you dont l nothing with gta v in sl you learn scripting building roleplay What good have GTA v? it sux lol

i use to play every day and had all the dlc's   i had all the guns the  good houses n cars n even the boat up until  my microsft account got banned  until 9999 and i cried that day cuz i lost everything all my games that i paid as digital downloads an my gamertag with my 15000 gamerscore and even tho i not tell ppl dont trust microsoft get a ps4 and to heck with microsoft i    i loved gta 5 i loved all the gta games i played all of them and i was the best there ever was i am a Master at those games forever no 1 will ever be better then me  and thats the truth

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, Quinn Lysette said:

i use to play every day and had all the dlc's   i had all the guns the  good houses n cars n even the boat up until  my microsft account got banned  until 9999 and i cried that day cuz i lost everything all my games that i paid as digital downloads an my gamertag with my 15000 gamerscore and even tho i not tell ppl dont trust microsoft get a ps4 and to heck with microsoft i    i loved gta 5 i loved all the gta games i played all of them and i was the best there ever was i am a Master at those games forever no 1 will ever be better then me  and thats the truth

Such modesty

• Like 1

Presumably in all cultures but without question in the US, younger generations have created their own catchphrases, word usages* (and words, sometimes). The sociologists probably can say why, I personally just think it's a way for young people to differentiate themselves from the status quo; to define their own culture. We're not like those old plodders. I know that I certainly had something of that in my conscious when I was young. We weren't like them; we were different!

Texting, which is something that young people have made a part—for some the most important part—of current communication, has introduced a new (or new to me, anyway) issue. The absence of capital letters and punctuation, the use of homophonic expressions, and the complete abandonment of any even rudimentary attempt at structure make the texting 'language' it's own thing. Thumb pidgin.

This kind of causes problems, as illustrated by the OP. Even though the "G" in GTA was in fact capitalized I'm pretty sure that was auto-formatting, not intention. The evidence certainly suggests that.  When I first read the thread title I could not figure out what was going on. Gta v sux. My first guess was that it was a comparison thing; GTA (which is an acronym that's pretty well known) I got. The 'v' was problematic. As you know the abbreviation for versus has changed, especially in conversation. It used to be "vs". More and more it is not just spoken as but written as "v". That makes sense; the only way to speak "vs" was to say the word 'versus'. The one-letter version is the same written or spoken, and that's why it's gained traction.

In other words, I assumed the title referenced a comparison between GTA and something abbreviated SUX. That is, in fact, why I read the post—I wanted to find out wtf SUX stood for (sorry, could not resist the acronym). Turned out, once I translated  the post, that 'sux' was a texting substitution: would sound the same if you spoke it but saves two whole letters in text. It turns out that texting is the language of choice for this poster which explains why all his offerings are completely free of both punctuation and structure.

I do hope this kind of thing doesn't catch on as a viable mainstream form of writing English or any other language. Keep it for texting, please. The written word is intended to make what one person is thinking clear to a lot of other people. Don't make that harder than it already is.

*I inhabited the Sixties once upon a time. We adopted several expressions that were SO 'us', something we alone could appreciate. One of those was 'out of sight'. That was ours, man. Sometime after the Sixties I happened to read a novel by Frank Norris; a book first published in 1899—"McTeague". Like Norris's more famous novel "The Octopus", it is a California story. In it there's a scene in which a friend of McTeague tries to talk him into going on a picnic people they know are planning. In trying to convince McTeague of how great it will be, he actually says, "It'll be out of sight!". No, really. He said that. In 1899. With EXACTLY the same meaning it had for us. 

I figure some kid at UC Berkeley read the book as part of an American Literature class, picked up on the expression,  and started it on it's way into the lexicon.

Edited by Dillon Levenque
Forgot to name the novel I referenced!
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Dillon Levenque said:

In other words, I assumed the title referenced a comparison between GTA and something abbreviated SUX. That is, in fact, why I read the post—I wanted to find out wtf SUX stood for (sorry, could not resist the acronym).

Me too, exactly. The lowercase "v" in particular led me down that path. Probably doesn't help that I'd been reading some legal commentary, so was primed for that interpretation.

But I don't think we should conclude that our poster is particularly txting-oriented, nor necessarily young. Might be lazy, drunk, or a victim of brain trauma -- any of which can cause cognitive impairment nearly indistinguishable from the crippling effects of youth.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Dillon Levenque said:

Keep it for texting, please.

I love getting text messages from my eldest son. It's like a small well worded novel of complete words.  My middle son gives one word texts, though still a complete word.  The 11 year old just sends emoji's for me to decipher 

• Haha 5

Read the 'sux' as a way of getting around profanity filters. Not sure if that dates my internet usage. :( So the 'v' quickly became the Bridget Jones' Diary abbreviation for very.

I'll make no claims as to Ms Jones being the origins for that usage, just that it appeared around the time people were being annoying about the movie and it seemed to be connected, and I quite like the interpretation where someone comes into the SL forums to rant about GTA using Bridget Jones slang so I think I'll stick with till proven otherwise. -_-

I have access to GTA5. I haven't played it much. GTA 5 and SL have more differences than commonalities. However, open world games today are incorporating more building and crafting and more avatar decorating. They are also using more user created content to enhance and prolong gameplay. Fallout 4 for example has a robust base/house building feature. I find myself building functionally useless bathrooms in Fallout 4 just as I build them in SL. I wish we could have more gameplay elements in SL like NPCs and conflict or survival mechanics. These could toggled on and off of course.

But overall, yeah, SL does have a lot to offer compared to GTA 5.

17 hours ago, Donovan Michalski said:

You kids with your fancy 3D worlds.  In MY day, we launched GTA from a DOS prompt, playing it from a top-down 2D perspective.  And we LIKED it.

For me, the biggest failure in the GTA franchise, was the switch from custom made and varied radio channels to 1 funny talk show channel, a few quirky dj comments on another, and then a handfull of channels all playing the same damn genres,  I mean, how many gangster-crapper radio stations did GTA SA actually need?

/me wanders off singing classic GTA radio songs...

"If you want to hear them cry...

Poke em in the eye..

Stick their fingers in the socket

and watch them fry...

Taxi Drivers must DIE!"

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2378 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.