Land and Premium membership

Magadski Adamski

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2407 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

13 minutes ago, Magadski Adamski said:

I purchased land at auction some time ago and pay tier to LL as well as my Premium membership.

I want to cease Premium membership.   Can I keep my land ( and pay tier ofcourse)

Nope, well, not in the sense that you'll "own" the land, you need to have a premium membership to actually "own" (pay tier directly to LL) land. You can rent land though, without a premium membership. Instead of paying "tier", you'd actually be paying "rent" to someone else, who then actually pays the "tier" to LL. Think of it like renting, you pay your landlord, who pays the mortgage...unless you own the home, then you pay the mortgage yourself. Only, in sl..you need to be premium to do that. 

I use quotes because, regardless, whether we "own" or "rent"...we're all simply renting space from LL, essentially ;) 

• Like 2

Renting tier is defintely an option... In addition to what Tari explained, you'll need a land group if you don't have one already, and typically, you will need to invite an account of the tier provider to your group. That account then deeds the rented amount of tier to the group's allowence.

I switched to that way of renting, because it worked out cheaper in the end for me... originally, I was on the annual premium membership plan and added that $40 extra tier option. Now I may or may not keep up premium when it's due next year, but I'm renting the extra tier from Bee Rentals, whose owner has numerous offers here in the Mainland land forum.

So do your math and do it properly to check which option costs you less. :-)

13 minutes ago, Magadski Adamski said:

Many thanks all.   As I am not on SL as much now reckon it will be better if I just terminate my Premium and dispose of my land (it only cost L$3,000).  I have rented before

and can do so again in due course.   

Note that land tier payments are for the month BEFORE so you will get a bill for your tier (it could be a fair amount depending on the size of the parcel or only $5). So it might be better to sell or abandon your land and wait a month before going back to standard from Premium -- depending on your circumstances and how you pay etc. 

The land will have to be sold or abandoned before you can downgrade from Premium.  Note however that all other benefits of being Premium will remain in effect until the end of your current Premium period.  Premium is bill in advance, so if you became Premium on Jan 1 2017, you would continue to get all of the benefits of Premium (except land/tier/house) through Dec 31 2017.

Also note that the 'tier renting' that Lillith mentioned cannot be used if you are no longer Premium because you cannot own mainland at that point.  The tier renting is an option for those owning mainland that want to pay LL for a smaller amount of tier than what is needed for the land they own.

14 minutes ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

I'm seriously interested in someone correcting me if the following train of thought is completely wrong ... but when a group is the actual owner of a Mainland plot and that group has enough tier donation available, does it really matter whether the group owner is a premium member or not?

Hmmm - good question.  In thinking about the logistics of it, a group comprised of all regular members (except whomever is donating tier) might be able to own land as long as enough tier was already there to cover everything.  Never thought about it that way. (editing again).  Actually in thinking about it, it is definitely possible.  LL really only designates that you must be Premium to pay tier.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Hmmm - good question.  In thinking about the logistics of it, a group comprised of all regular members (except whomever is donating tier) might be able to own land as long as enough tier was already there to cover everything.  Never thought about it that way. (editing again).  Actually in thinking about it, it is definitely possible.  LL really only designates that you must be Premium to pay tier.

This sounds right.  In the situation of renting tier in order to still own land and drop the premium,  I would think the land group would need to be established first, and the rented tier added to the group, before removing their own tier and dropping premium. 

• Like 2

I think there are very few people in SL that realize you can rent tier.  The rest of us, likely just never thought about this particular way of paying for our land.  I've considered renting tier to increase my land, but never really considered it for complete replacement of my existing tier & membership.  I am definitely going to be doing the calcs every which way when all of my premium memberships come due again.  B|

I could see a few benefits to renting tier for your land - being able to choose the land you want, rather than being restricted to what's available for rent, being able to have your own group own the land, and potentially paying a little less than if you were paying tier directly to LL for the land.  On the other hand though, it also has a tiny bit of the drawbacks with renting - if the person you are renting tier from decides that they need to use the tier someplace else (perhaps for additional land they want to buy) or they should go out of business, one would need to go back to premium membership in order to cover the tier, unless another person was found to rent tier from.  It definitely would be handy though, when you just want to increase your holdings by a little bit, and don't want to have to move up to the next tier level in order to do so.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2407 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.