Intruders

Sheleaf

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2391 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

17 answers to this question

The "golden rule" in the Linden Lab TOS is in section 6: " You are solely responsible for your interaction with other users of the Service, whether online or offline. We are not responsible or liable for the conduct or content of any user. We reserve the right, but not the obligation, to monitor or become involved in disputes between you and other users."  That said, as a landowner, you have rights defined in the SL TOS, Sect. 3.4: " You may permit or deny other users to access your Virtual Land on terms determined by you. Any agreement you make with other users relating to use or access to your Virtual Land must be consistent with the Agreements, and no such agreement can abrogate, nullify, void or modify the Agreements. "  So, you may shoot an intruder, because on your own land, you make the rules.  However, you have to be aware of the possibility that you are violating sections of the Community Standards, which include

Intolerance

Linden Lab encourages social interactions between users across multiple countries. The use of derogatory or demeaning language or images based on race, ethnicity, gender, religion or sexual orientation is prohibited. Actions that marginalize, belittle, or defame users or groups are similarly prohibited.  

Harassment

Harassment can take many forms. Communicating or behaving in a manner that is offensively coarse, intimidating, threatening, or causes annoyance or alarm is not allowed.

Assault

Any act of violence toward a user’s avatar, including an act of intimidation or bullying such as repeatedly shooting or pushing, will not be tolerated. Creating or using scripts that singularly or persistently target a user and prevent a user’s enjoyment of the Service is also not allowed.

Invasion of Personal Space/Comfort Zones

It is important to respect the personal space of another user. We strongly encourage you to be mindful of your movement, hand gestures, and your avatar’s positioning relative to other avatars.

The only way to find out whether you are really violating one of those is to wait until someone files an Abuse Report against you, and see what Linden Lab's Governance group says.  Chances are pretty good that if it's a one-off, isolated incident rather than a repeated behavior aimed at a particular person, you're OK. Governance doesn't like being annoyed by petty complaints. I'm not a lawyer, though, and I can't predict what happens if you catch the Governance crew on a bad day.  ;)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

Assault

Any act of violence toward a user’s avatar, including an act of intimidation or bullying such as repeatedly shooting or pushing, will not be tolerated. Creating or using scripts that singularly or persistently target a user and prevent a user’s enjoyment of the Service is also not allowed.

Based on the bolded part, make sure your aim is true on that first shot. 

:D

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Sheleaf said:

thanks for help,  I will only shoot once and then all is good I see. now I'll go and find some zombies and practice to aim. forgot to ask about hand grenades but I guess it would be same answer lol. have a great day all. :D

On your own land, you are queen.  You hold the high and the low justice, and you can shoot anyone you like.  Or use hand grenades.  Or a suitcase nuke.  Be sure to laugh and ridicule them as well.  Or if they are nice and polite, invite them to tea.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Sheleaf said:

Is it allowed to shoot intruders on my own moderate land I own?

Handling intruders is one of the best pastimes SL offers. I have set them on fire, buried them in quicksand, watched them have sex in the bushes (where my bed threw them for picking any pose other than "spoon") and dangled them from the ceiling of my lighthouse, by flipping the sofa they were canoodling on upside down and shaking it. I have also invited them to have root-beer with me. I view Lindal's tea as not much different than a hand grenade.

I deduce from what you've posted so far that you're not likely to run afoul of the Governance Team.

;-).

• Haha 2

On 9/21/2017 at 8:18 AM, LittleMe Jewell said:

Based on the bolded part, make sure your aim is true on that first shot. 

:D

To add to this, one of the options in land is "Safe (No Damage)" if you untick this you will see a heart on the top line of the viewer.

That means your gun can kill them. It might take one or two shots, but it's not going to be griefing as when they die, you won't be able to shoot them any more.

Turn off safe, shoot to kill.

thanks for help,  I will only shoot once and then all is good I see. now I'll go and find some zombies and practice to aim. forgot to ask about hand grenades but I guess it would be same answer lol. have a great day all. :D

Tactical nuclear weapons are an option!

Edited by Callum Meriman
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

/me wonders what @Lindal Kidd puts in her tea.  O.o

Well, it's a bit of a McMaster's family inside joke. There's a Celestial Seasonings tea named "Morning Thunder". Mom brought some home when I was a kid.

Me: "Take that back to the store, Mom. I'm not going to drink anything that makes me toot".
Mom: "What are you talking about Maddy, tea doesn't cause gas."
Me: "Then why'd they name it "Morning Thunder"?"
Mom: "What am I going to do with you?"

While this was just another of those silly exchanges that permeated the McMasters family dynamic, Mom actually dropped the box of tea in the "Food for Families" can at the market some days later. She's the kind of person that can't shake a good brainworm. I would feel bad about this, but she's discouraged a few other people from drinking that tea by infecting them with the idea herself.

• Haha 4

If you shoot the intruder, regardless of ToS interpretations, they can Abuse Report you. That can prove to be a problem for you.

If you EJECT them, the validity of any Abuse Report they make is discounted... landowners have the unqualified right to eject anyone for any reason from their land.

Alt-LMB to latch the camera to their avatar, then click Eject. Its almost as much fun as shooting them with an orbiter. You can collect some really fine whines from the entitlement types that think they have some right to be on your land or in your house.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2391 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.