SL still performs like a SNAIL.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2261 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I started SL a few years ago, I live in Sydney Australia. I originally stopped getting on SL because I was SOOOO SICK of the ridiculous lag & crappy frames per second so I gave it a break for a few years even. Recently, fast fibre internet came to my area which I got straight away, speed is at 12 MegaBytes/s Download with 4 MegaBytes/s Upload. My PC is new only bought it few months ago. I decided I'll give SL another go with my new found net speed & new PC, so I got on today & far out what a *****-HOLE!

You'd think after literally YEARS since I last logged on that there would be a vast improvement in my SL performance but it's as crap as I remember it & it still looks the same. What have you guys been doing?? Surely there would be a huge improvement by now but it's like SL has been frozen in a *****-running state. That's not even maxed settings, your recommended settings aren't even close to running SL nicely with high quality textures, AA etc.

Is it because you guys don't want to spend money upgrading your servers??  I know Australia is at the ass of the Earth but really ??  Is it because I'm far away??  My net speed is literally more than 10x faster than what it was when I used to get on & it still runz as slowly as I remember it. Very disappointing, why don't you have somewhere in fine prints that SL is not intended for Australian users??  It's really a joke, I give up, if I could vomit virtually into this forum I'd instantly do it. YEARS without improvement, do you guys only have like 6 employees??  Did you guys sack your developers ??

Just told a few friends about it too who were hoping to sus it out with me now I have to get back to them to let them know to just not bother with SL. One of them also has really fast internet & a video card of 8GB's which exceeds your Recommended System Requirements by FAR, her PC is exactly same as mine but she has a better video card. I'm going to test it on hers but I have a feeling it's only going to be a tiny bit better than mine.

Anywayz just thought I'll give you guys some honest feedback of what Australians think of SL performance & the disappointment of years without improvement on SL side even though we've improved our side dramatically compared to a few years ago, & anyone who knows their PC's knows that years in the PC world is a HUGE advance in terms of parts & performance.

Oh well, back to my First Life.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

SL is still fairly demanding, and it has stayed at a similar level of graphical complexity in order to keep the majority of users who are on weaker machines in a state where they can play the game. There are a lot of people on SL still using integrated graphics and old Quadro NVS cards in laptops. Not everyone has a high end or even mid tier PC to play this game.

Even the highest settings can make most mid tier machines struggle a bit in 1080p.

SL is very dependent on CPU performance, even with a decent GPU if your processor isnt up to the task your performance will suffer. My machine can handle GTA V at High settings in 1080p and hold 60fps, but it sure as hell cant play SL over 25fps at generally High settings. And thats because of a weak processor. And just because there are people out there with Threadripper 1950x's and quad Titan XP setups doesnt mean theres any reason to advance SL's graphical and physics capabilities to better suit machines of those caliber. Next to nobody is going to be playing on those, and features that would take advantage of hardware like that would also require much beefier minimum requirements, which means less users can play which means less money for SL.

And just because your internet connection is fast, does not mean its fast overseas. SL's servers are not in Australia, meaning any connection to SL you make is likely going over an ocean. Which means you will have incredibly high latency which will cause lag of all forms since SL is so network dependent.

• Like 1

Working really well for me. I have seen some great improvements and framerates up to 226fps.  I have a 16mbps connection and a fairly hefty machine. Still I have seen improvements during the time I have had this machine which is over a year. 

Just saying. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/20/2017 at 7:21 AM, Lillith Hapmouche said:

You know you're yelling at other users here, right?

You logged in just to type that utterly useless response ??  Yelling ? I'm sorry did I record audio ?? Climb back into your hole,  you know very well my post was not directed at any users or members & anyone with half a brain would know this automatically.

Cykarushb appreciate your reply.

There are a lot of people on SL still using integrated graphics and old Quadro NVS cards in laptops. Not everyone has a high end or even mid tier PC to play this game.

I understand that not everyone has high end PC but that doesn't mean anything,  if they don't have the requirements then they can put the settings down. The problem is Second Life Recommended Requirements  are even so downgraded, remember this is "Recommended" system requirements & not "Minimum" we're talking about but those Recommended specs are still no where near enough.

Working really well for me. I have seen some great improvements and framerates up to 226fps.  I have a 16mbps connection and a fairly hefty machine. Still I have seen improvements during the time I have had this machine which is over a year. 

Just saying. 

Wow 226 fps! Well who can't get that by just looking at a plain wall with 3 textures geeze, & who can't get that with really really low settings. Second Life shines because the graphics, textures are excellent but when all these settings are put down to make it look average then SL doesn't shine anymore, it falls in the average category.

Just saying.

And just because your internet connection is fast, does not mean its fast overseas. SL's servers are not in Australia, meaning any connection to SL you make is likely going over an ocean. Which means you will have incredibly high latency which will cause lag of all forms since SL is so network dependent.

I realize that but SURELY I should of seen some kind of performance boost going from literally 1/3 of a MegaByte per sec ADSL connection to Fibre 12 MegaBytes per sec. I know there's no servers in Australia & that's the main problem here & you're emphasizing exactly what I'm saying which is SL doesn't really care about overseas performance which is pretty cruel.

Official Recommended SL Requirements & me = Cable or DSL-Check! I have Cable. Windows 7, Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 64 bit version-Check! I have 64-bit Windows 10 Pro,  2-GHz CPU or better-Check! I have 3.8GHz Intel Core i7-6850K, 4 GB or more RAM-Check! I have 32GB running in quad channel, 1024x768 Resolution or higher (that's ridiculous as a recommended resolution in this day & age not to even recommend a widescreen resolution, remember this is Recommended not Minimum)-Check! 1920x1080, Nvidia Cards 9000 Series-Check! Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB video card. My hard drives are M.2 Samsung Pro SSD drives just for more info. As you can see I well exceed these so called outdated Recommended Requirements & it still runs like crap without even maxing all the graphics settings until I put the settings down so low that it makes SL useless & takes away everything that's awesome about it.

It's clearly just an internet speed issue with no servers in Australia it's the only thing I can think of left which is a real shame that after all these years there's no improvement from SL Server Side. There really must be hardly ANYONE using SL here in Australia for SL as a company not to even consider upgrading servers or hosting a few in other countries other than the U.S.

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Ashor Rush said:

You logged in just to type that utterly useless response ??  Yelling ? I'm sorry did I record audio ?? Climb back into your hole,  you know very well my post was not directed at any users or members & anyone with half a brain would know this automatically.

Charming fellow. Stepped into Koala poo after getting out of bed?

What do you expect to see? The base requirements suddenly changing, thus tossing out like half the userbase on their classic typewriter hardware, just because you got a high-end setup and a new network connection?

If your SL still looks the same, perhaps you need to visit other places and broaden your horizont.

But that's just random thoughts from 10% of my brain. Maybe your full capacity can come up with more superior ways.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/20/2017 at 6:40 AM, Ashor Rush said:

I started SL a few years ago, I live in Sydney Australia. I originally stopped getting on SL because I was SOOOO SICK of the ridiculous lag & crappy frames per second so I gave it a break for a few years even. Recently, fast fibre internet came to my area which I got straight away, speed is at 12 MegaBytes/s Download with 4 MegaBytes/s Upload. My PC is new only bought it few months ago. I decided I'll give SL another go with my new found net speed & new PC, so I got on today & far out what a *****-HOLE!

You'd think after literally YEARS since I last logged on that there would be a vast improvement in my SL performance but it's as crap as I remember it & it still looks the same. What have you guys been doing?? Surely there would be a huge improvement by now but it's like SL has been frozen in a *****-running state. That's not even maxed settings, your recommended settings aren't even close to running SL nicely with high quality textures, AA etc.

Is it because you guys don't want to spend money upgrading your servers??  I know Australia is at the ass of the Earth but really ??  Is it because I'm far away??  My net speed is literally more than 10x faster than what it was when I used to get on & it still runz as slowly as I remember it. Very disappointing, why don't you have somewhere in fine prints that SL is not intended for Australian users??  It's really a joke, I give up, if I could vomit virtually into this forum I'd instantly do it. YEARS without improvement, do you guys only have like 6 employees??  Did you guys sack your developers ??

Just told a few friends about it too who were hoping to sus it out with me now I have to get back to them to let them know to just not bother with SL. One of them also has really fast internet & a video card of 8GB's which exceeds your Recommended System Requirements by FAR, her PC is exactly same as mine but she has a better video card. I'm going to test it on hers but I have a feeling it's only going to be a tiny bit better than mine.

Anywayz just thought I'll give you guys some honest feedback of what Australians think of SL performance & the disappointment of years without improvement on SL side even though we've improved our side dramatically compared to a few years ago, & anyone who knows their PC's knows that years in the PC world is a HUGE advance in terms of parts & performance.

Oh well, back to my First Life.

LOL you should say what you really think about it, don't hold it all in like that. 

I am an Aussie too in Newcastle  and it goes fine for me on the NBN @ 25 MB/S and loads on my iMac fast but you need to adjust settings in firestorm if you want that by network settings and draw distance adjustment.

The NBN 12 MB/s isn't  much better than ADSL 2 when its congested, basically it sucks. I went up to 25 MB/s because that 12 one is ok for Facebook or Googling  but downloading files it is crap  and that is what SL is or any gaming online.

If your computer doesn't have much memory or a decent separate decent graphics card it will slow it down too especially if you bought a cheapo computer and are expecting wonders in a gaming world it cant deliver on a basic internet plan that suffers from network congestion in peak times and slows right down. 

I just did two speed  tests to explain your throughput speed. One is local and looks impressive in NSW but the one between Sydney and San Fransisco (Where LL is) is not so good but LL is heaps faster  than what I got off Comcast which is what your real speed is between two cities. I did that test at almost 11PM when everyone's asleep and not on the Net as  much here or on Netflix which is an optimal time for fast internet here.

The moral to the story is pay for decent internet speed for gaming or spend your life waiting...

Screen Shot 2017-09-21 at 10.45.01 pm.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-21 at 10.31.03 pm.png

Edited by chardonay Babii
  • Like 1

I hope you are overclocking that 6850k. Will it hit 4.5?

Even so, and has been pointed out numerous times, SL does not utilize the power of your hardware. Nor does it necessarily improve with your internet speeds. Otherwise my 150MB/s connection should be getting me 1000 fps or more. lol 

Bottom line is that it will always remain that way as Lillith says LL are not interested in doing anything to alter the way things are now. 

I'm off now to take Roach for a gallop through Toussaint, its beautiful there this time of year in 4K maxxed @ 100fps.. lol

Edited by Derek Torvalar
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Derek Torvalar said:

I hope you are overclocking that 6850k. Will it hit 4.5?

Even so, and has been pointed out numerous times, SL does not utilize the power of your hardware. Nor does it necessarily improve with your internet speeds. Otherwise my 150MB/s connection should be getting me 1000 fps or more. lol 

Bottom line is that it will always remain that way as Lillith says LL are not interested in doing anything to alter the way things are now. 

I'm off now to take Roach for a gallop through Toussaint, its beautiful there this time of year in 4K maxxed @ 100fps.. lol

Lol everyone stands around talking in SL anyway, its not like its an action packed experience  that needs more bandwidth usually.

• Like 1

On 20/09/2017 at 6:40 AM, Ashor Rush said:

Recently, fast fibre internet came to my area which I got straight away, speed is at 12 MegaBytes/s Download with 4 MegaBytes/s Upload.

Lol, 12MB/s is way slower than ADSL2. Added to which, I'm going to bet you are on FTTN so seeing absolute craptacular conjestion.

My FPS tops 100 on most days, and thats with 18MB/s ADSL2.

The LNP sold this country a pup, that's for sure.

15 hours ago, Ashor Rush said:

It's clearly just an internet speed issue with no servers in Australia it's the only thing I can think of left

You'd be wrong. The CDN cache is close to us. It's certainly not in America. Have you tried reducing your bandwidth slider (less is more) for your slow link around the 500 mark.

Edited by Callum Meriman
  • Like 1

On 9/21/2017 at 7:11 AM, chardonay Babii said:

Lol everyone stands around talking in SL anyway, its not like its an action packed experience  that needs more bandwidth usually.

I think it was more action packed years ago before voice, once voice hit the info hubs avatars really started standing a lot more. Using text, gestures and animations to communicate made avatars a lot more lively and back then and even the worst arguments were funny to watch. After voice hit the info hubs it became too real and just mean and nasty. I think there is a good place for voice in many aspect of SL however I seen it kill off some of the good old things like creative people communicating with their avatars. 

Edited by Zsigmond Alcott

4 hours ago, Zsigmond Alcott said:

I think it was more action packed years ago before voice, once voice hit the info hubs avatars really started standing a lot more. Using text, gestures and animations to communicate made avatars a lot more lively and back then and even the worst arguments were funny to watch. After voice hit the info hubs it became too real and just mean and nasty. I think there is a good place for voice in many aspect of SL however I seen it kill off some of the good old things like creative people communicating with their avatars. 

Voice was a bit of a fad and it largely went back the same for me to typing and occasionally I hear some on voice these days.  

Erarly days were funny as there wasn't as much policing of behaviour and it was a free for all. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yep...SL always does and always has...regardless of your set up.  The Lindens have tip top PC's that will make your set up seem like something from The Flintstones, and they have a knack for assuming all their users do.   Mindset. 

You are correct in querying the SL servers........minimum is spent on these, and lag conveniently explained away as being on the 'user side'. Always was thus, sadly.  Accountants hold enormous sway in US companies, to the detriment sometimes of the dynamic do-ers in such companies and the end users.

41 minutes ago, Hoshi Kenin said:

The Lindens have tip top PC's that will make your set up seem like something from The Flintstones, and they have a knack for assuming all their users do. 

I have a fairly low/mid tier PC and SL runs fine. And ive run it on extremely low end hardware as well.

SL doesnt take much to run but its not as lightweight as other social avatar games like Smallworlds or IMVU. If you have a fairly modern laptop with a decent dual core in it even integrated graphics will do you fine.

Server lag is measurable, and in most sims its minimal. Yes its there, but its really that not bad when you consider all thats going on in some sims and the amount of people connected to it. Not to mention ive never seen a "linden labs yearly audit" to find out how much they spend on servers. I dont think anyone has, and id say your assumption that SL spends the minimum they can on server costs is probably just that, an assumption.

• Like 2

Staff of Second Life tend to put the blame always on the users end no matter what. I have had an older PC which used to run SL just fine on a medium graphics setting with decent specs and connection. I have a new PC nowadays with high end specs and a faster connection and suddenly SL just works terribly after one night I logged out and the next day it was loading slower and making my GPU very hot and loud since to this day and that does not improve no matter what the graphic setting is on and believe me it all used to load quite fast but after their constant updates it just seemed to be degrading in my opinion and overworking GPU's in even the small areas for no reason.

I heard Firestorm is alright so I may change to that as at the end of the day, they are not always listening to peoples technical issues and SL Servers are to blame when its affecting every single sim you visit but hey, these are just my opinions on the forum topic. :')

On 9/21/2017 at 7:41 AM, Ashor Rush said:

Cykarushb appreciate your reply.

I understand that not everyone has high end PC but that doesn't mean anything,  if they don't have the requirements then they can put the settings down. The problem is Second Life Recommended Requirements  are even so downgraded, remember this is "Recommended" system requirements & not "Minimum" we're talking about but those Recommended specs are still no where near enough.

Wow 226 fps! Well who can't get that by just looking at a plain wall with 3 textures geeze, & who can't get that with really really low settings. Second Life shines because the graphics, textures are excellent but when all these settings are put down to make it look average then SL doesn't shine anymore, it falls in the average category.

Just saying.

I realize that but SURELY I should of seen some kind of performance boost going from literally 1/3 of a MegaByte per sec ADSL connection to Fibre 12 MegaBytes per sec. I know there's no servers in Australia & that's the main problem here & you're emphasizing exactly what I'm saying which is SL doesn't really care about overseas performance which is pretty cruel.

Official Recommended SL Requirements & me = Cable or DSL-Check! I have Cable. Windows 7, Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 64 bit version-Check! I have 64-bit Windows 10 Pro,  2-GHz CPU or better-Check! I have 3.8GHz Intel Core i7-6850K, 4 GB or more RAM-Check! I have 32GB running in quad channel, 1024x768 Resolution or higher (that's ridiculous as a recommended resolution in this day & age not to even recommend a widescreen resolution, remember this is Recommended not Minimum)-Check! 1920x1080, Nvidia Cards 9000 Series-Check! Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB video card. My hard drives are M.2 Samsung Pro SSD drives just for more info. As you can see I well exceed these so called outdated Recommended Requirements & it still runs like crap without even maxing all the graphics settings until I put the settings down so low that it makes SL useless & takes away everything that's awesome about it.

It's clearly just an internet speed issue with no servers in Australia it's the only thing I can think of left which is a real shame that after all these years there's no improvement from SL Server Side. There really must be hardly ANYONE using SL here in Australia for SL as a company not to even consider upgrading servers or hosting a few in other countries other than the U.S.

To truly find out how well SL will perform you, need to run a speedtest to Tuscon AZ.. http://tucson.speedtest.net/ That is where the servers are. Just click on the preferred server, not the recommended one. The recommended one is the one nearest you. 

b00624633aaaf4e63dacbd92a918895f.png

4 hours ago, RoseateBlossom said:

Staff of Second Life tend to put the blame always on the users end no matter what. I have had an older PC which used to run SL just fine on a medium graphics setting with decent specs and connection. I have a new PC nowadays with high end specs and a faster connection and suddenly SL just works terribly after one night I logged out and the next day it was loading slower and making my GPU very hot and loud since to this day and that does not improve no matter what the graphic setting is on and believe me it all used to load quite fast but after their constant updates it just seemed to be degrading in my opinion and overworking GPU's in even the small areas for no reason.

I heard Firestorm is alright so I may change to that as at the end of the day, they are not always listening to peoples technical issues and SL Servers are to blame when its affecting every single sim you visit but hey, these are just my opinions on the forum topic. :')

While it might be "every single sim you visit", it isn't SL as a whole or a lot more people would be screaming.

A good SLife really is primarily about the computer and the connection.  Last night was the Monthly Midnight Madness, which means that every sim involved was at max avatar capacity (or above due to the Premium bump) right at midnight SLT.  While it did take me a couple of tries to get to the sim I wanted because it was full, once I got there - with 32 other avatars - everyone and everything rezzed for me in just a couple of seconds.  I grabbed my item and was easily out of there in a minute or less.  Granted, none of those other avatars had a CI above 50k (rules of the event and enforced with some automated monitor), but there were many, many people experiencing extreme lag at that and other stops - based on the group chat.

Thus, I'm still pretty certain that my great internet connection and super cool new computer helped me a lot.

• Like 1

• Lindens
On 10/5/2017 at 9:07 PM, Hoshi Kenin said:

The Lindens have tip top PC's that will make your set up seem like something from The Flintstones, and they have a knack for assuming all their users do.

This linden dev has an HP z600 with a gtx 660 card.  How high do I score?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2261 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.