200,000L really????

Kurt Jiagu

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2406 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Luna Bliss said:

And to the other concern (the actual owner of the sim taking their rented land back), I've never had this happen, but did envision possible problems with that, and so I have a contract that says the sim and terrain file are only licensed to the customer who made the purchase. Plus, I've referred a lot of people to various landlords so doubt doubt even an unscrupulous landlord would screw me or my customer over like that.

Sorry, I wasn't very clear on this part, I didn't mean the sim owner taking the land back, I meant the person who actually rezzes the sim design being able to come and take it back whenever he/she wants. But, that would be a concern with anything anyone has someone else rez on their land. It would just probably be a bit more, seemingly, devastating to someone, if someone came back and took the whole thing, lol.

But, your solution of giving the customer the rez box with the sim's content, would help ease folks' mind on that point, I'm sure.

On 19. 09. 2017. at 3:45 PM, Klytyna said:

There used to be a store in SL that sold Japanese themed buildings and furniture, cherry blossom trees, you name it, every thing you needed to build an "Age of the Country At War" Sim...

Star of the show was a castle, with a 100m x 100m footprint, that retailed for 120,000 L$. I've seen 3 of them in SL over the years.

You mean Azuchi castle? I used to live in that castle and back in the old days it was omgomg awesome speacially when you walk inside, stand in the middle and look up... I remember me and a friend used to put our roller skates on and ride through the halls lol

Edited by Tamara Artis
making it pretty

16 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

Ah but I explained a couple posts up how these types of sims are like a template that I modify for customers, meshing or convex-hulling if needed/desired. I've run into quite a few people who do not want mesh for various reasons though. Old PC's, experience with previous mesh they hated. So best I rez out as prims and tweak to the customer specification.

Most mesh builds don't look hugely different from prim builds except if  you examine them closely and see the (possible)  increased level of detail.  After all, a plain prim block and a plain mesh block are identical to the naked eye :) .  There's no advantage at all to using mesh when an 'old school' prim will do an identical job, and a flat floor is a flat floor!  Mesh naturally looks so much better when architectural details are added: cornicing, skirtings, mouldings, organic shapes and so on.   

It was more the textures and associated effects (normal maps, specular maps and so on) that make it look dated.    If these have been similarly updated then possibly updating the listing with newer pictures would give a more accurate representation of how the build looks now?  As you say, it is very rare to find full sim builds at all, so you'd do yourself a great disservice by not showing how it looks in mesh with updated texturing.

Honestly I think adding a new listing showing the build in mesh (where applicable|) and with new textures would be worthwhile.  And your previous customers would probably be delighted to receive an updated version too.

17 hours ago, Tari Landar said:

Sorry, I wasn't very clear on this part, I didn't mean the sim owner taking the land back, I meant the person who actually rezzes the sim design being able to come and take it back whenever he/she wants. But, that would be a concern with anything anyone has someone else rez on their land. It would just probably be a bit more, seemingly, devastating to someone, if someone came back and took the whole thing, lol.

But, your solution of giving the customer the rez box with the sim's content, would help ease folks' mind on that point, I'm sure.

Ah ok, yes I did wonder who you were referring to but just assumed you meant the landlord.

Anyway, I deed the prims to the land group and so once I leave group and estate manager roles I can't affect the prims as they belong to the group and not me.
Strange how they do (or used to) flood back to my lost and found folder if deleted, but if I remember right I can't even affect the perms on them anymore so they're technically not mine.

BTW, one advantage of deeding a build to a group is that the sim owner can make various roles that allow managers to have degrees of access to deeded prims. However, group roles along with estate manager access is where the 'prim deletion revenge' can take place.

2 hours ago, Pixieplumb Flanagan said:

Most mesh builds don't look hugely different from prim builds except if  you examine them closely and see the (possible)  increased level of detail.  After all, a plain prim block and a plain mesh block are identical to the naked eye :) .  There's no advantage at all to using mesh when an 'old school' prim will do an identical job, and a flat floor is a flat floor!  Mesh naturally looks so much better when architectural details are added: cornicing, skirtings, mouldings, organic shapes and so on.   

It was more the textures and associated effects (normal maps, specular maps and so on) that make it look dated.    If these have been similarly updated then possibly updating the listing with newer pictures would give a more accurate representation of how the build looks now?  As you say, it is very rare to find full sim builds at all, so you'd do yourself a great disservice by not showing how it looks in mesh with updated texturing.

Honestly I think adding a new listing showing the build in mesh (where applicable|) and with new textures would be worthwhile.  And your previous customers would probably be delighted to receive an updated version too.

Updating is the bane of my existence as a merchant in SL, and I have to consider carefully and prioritize since there's only so much time in a day. If I thought Mediterranean Splendor would be a good seller I might update and take photos, but realistically very few people want an entire sim build with a club, and if they did even less people would want that particular Mediterranean style, and so doing a lot with it is not at the top of my to-do list. Originally I created it as a custom job, but decided to box it up to see if I could sell as a prefab, or use it as a template to begin another custom job.
I agree with you that some better textures and photos would enhance advertising for those who care about bump maps or do chance across it on the MP (however from my persepctive I see other issues that would take updating precedence). But.. it would take weeks to update the entire sim, plus I have no vacant sim to rez and update it on and so I'd have to incur the expense of renting one.  
Added to those issues...most people do not hire me as a custom designer of sims from seeing my items on the MP...so it's just not a good business move to spend lots of time and expense to update photos that few potential customers see.

When someone wants to purchase a particular theme this provides motivation for me to update a prefab sim. But if I consistently updated every assembled garden, skybox, and prefab sim I ever created due to various improvements in SL I would never have the time to create anything new again. It's one of the problems with creating large prefabs (skyboxes, instant gardens, prefab sims)...eventually they have to be updated (changing textures, eliminating big prims...changing from the 3-prim to the 1-prim sculpts for plants...and then again to 1-prim alpha planes for plants, or adding updated plants/content I simply like better). So I have to prioritize updates -- when I have the time, when it's financially beneficial, or sometimes just when a build particularly inspires me enough to improve it.

My main priority regarding updating at this time is to improve various instant gardens and skyboxes available for view in my store...especially removing these 'blobs' showing up in some assembled gardens and skyboxes! Apparently the sculpt texture disappeared from the SL data base and so the meadows show up as blobs wherever I used that sculpt :(

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2406 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.