200,000L really????

Kurt Jiagu

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2400 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I was browsing on marketplace for stuff for my sim  , when I noticed an  item by a well  known designer  in SL ( I will not name them :) ) and the price for the item  was 200,000l . OK , it might have been for a whole sim design ..........but do people really pay so much for things in sl ...............I have been in SL for over 10 years now and whilst I appreciate the hard work and effort that goes into some items ,asking 200,000l seems ridiculous ! What do others think ?

Edited by Kurt Jiagu
mispelt
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kurt Jiagu said:

whilst I appreciate the hard work and effort that goes into some items ,asking 200,000l seems ridiculous !

There used to be a store in SL that sold Japanese themed buildings and furniture, cherry blossom trees, you name it, every thing you needed to build an "Age of the Country At War" Sim...

Star of the show was a castle, with a 100m x 100m footprint, that retailed for 120,000 L$. I've seen 3 of them in SL over the years.

People do pay very large amounts of money for some items, some people in SL have a lot of disposable income, and generally, SL Inhabitants are just as keen on the game called "Worth-Ship" as nobles in the 15th century, who would prove their "Worth-Ship" with gratuitous displays of spending power (this is why Town Mayors are sometimes referred to as 'your worship', verbal contraction of worth-ship).

It's like founding a university, or paying for a new cathedral, or ordering your servants to roast 3 whole oxen instead of just one for your party so that "every common person who presents himself at the gate may take away as much roast ox as he may carry on his dagger" (yes, genuine 15th C example)

• Like 3

When you purchase your sim here on xstreet you will receive a sim voucher and accessories kit with extra plants, rocks, treehouses, lights, bridges, and an information card. 

This one yeah?

.d92051f5b1ff5341e6450cbcdf3c4380.jpg.22ff2b81c956bdd6df86769df06a2da1.jpg

Personally I wouldn't buy it. Not just the xstreet bit but

I rez the sim for you

Edited by Callum Meriman
  • Haha 2

Dawww, they must have removed it already then as Mediterranean Splendor is the only 200K sim design on MP.

The other 200K item is The Arcade Carousel small limited series very rare. 

Top item right now is https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/GOES-ON-SALE-OCTOBER-1st-2017-Trick-of-Treat-Box/12767394 L$1,000,000,000

Edited by Callum Meriman

22 minutes ago, Callum Meriman said:

Fortunately, it does look like they plan on setting it to 500L on the 1st of October. What an adventure, though! 

As for the 200,000L, I suppose if the designer deems their work worthy of 200,000... more power to them! They worked hard, and if it sells, it sells!  Although I can say that you can find landscapers (myself included) who would be happy to landscape a full sim with a similar theme for a fraction of that price. :o 

1 hour ago, Chase01 said:

Nice touch to drive urgency! lmao

Many years ago, I noticed some news items that appeared here in the UK within a few weeks of each other...

One was a strike by a dozen cleaners at a very large and wealthy multinational firm, they were striking for 7 gbp per hour and the dignity of paid sick leave. About a week after that came an item about how 2 dozen executives at that firm, had voted themselves a 'seasonal pay bonus' of over 1,000,000 gbp EACH.

The third news item, was about science discovering a NEW form of mental illness. A form of Clinical Depression, that only affected RICH people,  caused by not having anything to spend their money on.

Things listed in the article as attempts to solve this problem included mobile phone cases pave set with diamonds, 24 ct gold leave wallpaper, and my personal favorite, curtain ties, made from the same hand embroidered silk fabric used to make the Pope's official dresses.

Who wants Soap-on-a-Rope when you can have Rope-from-a-Pope? ;) 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Klytyna said:

A form of Clinical Depression, that only affected RICH people,  caused by not having anything to spend their money on.

Note to any budding-billionaires : if you suffer from this form of depression seek me out. I will alleviate your depressive symptoms in just a few easy steps.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

17 hours ago, Morgan Rosenstar said:

And vice versa. The 1st house I bought was 32x40m, fully furnished, nicely done and sold for... 18 LD. The creator made a typo that he corrected very fast. Next week the same house was sold for 1820 LD.

Lucky you!

fainting-o.gif

Edited by CurseSmile

On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 9:30 AM, Kurt Jiagu said:

I was browsing on marketplace for stuff for my sim  , when I noticed an  item by a well  known designer  in SL ( I will not name them :) ) and the price for the item  was 200,000l . OK , it might have been for a whole sim design ..........but do people really pay so much for things in sl ...............I have been in SL for over 10 years now and whilst I appreciate the hard work and effort that goes into some items ,asking 200,000l seems ridiculous ! What do others think ?

I have given away that much all at once at a club before. So, it's all relative.

On 19/09/2017 at 3:58 PM, Callum Meriman said:

Dawww, they must have removed it already then as Mediterranean Splendor is the only 200K sim design on MP.

Honestly? If it's this one, I think it's cheap.

3000 prims, full customer service, modifiable. She rezzes everything, helps with everything.

More or less : you sit, tell what you want and she does everything. I'm not sure it is that expensive then for a full sim service.

On 9/20/2017 at 12:59 PM, Morgan Rosenstar said:

Honestly? If it's this one, I think it's cheap.

3000 prims, full customer service, modifiable. She rezzes everything, helps with everything.

More or less : you sit, tell what you want and she does everything. I'm not sure it is that expensive then for a full sim service.

Thanks, yeah it really takes a long time to create a full sim like Mediterranean Splendor (and adding the time-consuming boxing up of complex terrain elements like waterfalls/streams did not help time-wise). We spent 3 months of woman-hours on this one (7 days a week, 12 hours a day), with all the different homes (Italian cottages to the back of the sim), stores, furnishings, the cafe, canals, waterfalls, streams, new plants... and of course that huge club.

Some customers would not want to spend that much time on developing their sim, and some would not want builders messing on their sim for months, and so we can come in and instant rez it and and with some updates and mods they're pretty much good to go. However, this is a dated build by now so of course I'd need do some convex hulling and perhaps meshing along with other general updates, but the design/layout is timeless and provides a good template.

So that's pretty much what these sims utilizing SL terrain are - templates - but I have lots of full-sim builds utilizing prim terrain that can be rezzed by the customer on the ground (or in the air as a skybox in order to easily add another landscape level to their sim).

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

Why would that keep you from buying it?

I don't know about Callum, but I do know one reason that would keep many from buying it, or at least make them hesitant. 

One wrong move, one little Sl hiccup, and the entire sim would be gone in the blink of an eye, back into the rezzer's inventory(or lost into oblivion, would depend entirely upon the issue the items, and sl's attitude that day) and the customer would have no recourse but to wait for the creator/seller to come put it back. It has happened before, I have watched it happen before. It is no reflection on the work put into the item, or a creator's capabilities. But we had a sim that was very similar to this (creator/seller rezzes for customer), and an sl hiccup triggered some odd "items do not match land rezzing/land owner's rezzing rights", and bam....an entire sim, gone, in the blink of an eye. It took us over two weeks to get a hold of the person that originally rezzed it, just so she could put it back....and then a few months later, we hit spring of '09, and bam...grid wide issues, that again, caused the same deal(and if anyone doesn't remember spring of '09, it was rough, very rough, with constant rollouts, rollbacks, and grid issues).  It was NOT the creator's fault mind you, we never blamed her, her work was awesome (well up until the not contacting us back thing, but, again, anything could have been the reason, so that wasn't a big issue). We opted for "group members put their own decor/stuff out" after that, so at least it wouldn't ALL decide to go haywire all at once, and we wouldn't be relying on an outside party should stuff indeed go haywire, we could just rez out everything that got returned(provided it didn't go into oblivion, of course).

Aside from that, someone with the wrong attitude could, easily, come and "repo" the sim, if they so choose. Not that I suspect most would, but it's still a possibility, at any given point, and in that scenario the customer would, again, have no recourse. (and LL wouldn't get involved, of course). If folks are going to dole out what, to them, may be a significant amount of cash, they're likely going to want a bit more control. Still, it's no reflection on the work folks put into such things, nor should it be seen as that(I don't think, others' opinions may differ). But these scenarios leave little to no control in the new owner's (customer's) hands...and that requires a level of trust I'm willing to bet some folks just don't have, with a perfect stranger, regardless of how good the work is, how awesome the mesh/bits/decor/textures look, how long it took the creator to make, or even how short of a time it would take said creator to set it up. I can't say I blame them, even if I may not agree.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

Ah, you have updated the listing now :)  I think that having 'xstreet' in the description would have suggested that the product has been available since way back when that was the name for what we now call SL Marketplace.  That would make it very much a pre mesh item and possibly slightly heavier in land impact than other, newer designs, and less likely to make full use of normal and specular mapping, windlight effects and so forth.  But Joe seems to like it, so perhaps he will soon be the owner of a new Mediterranean sim? 

Edited by Pixieplumb Flanagan

2 hours ago, Tari Landar said:

I don't know about Callum, but I do know one reason that would keep many from buying it, or at least make them hesitant. 

One wrong move, one little Sl hiccup, and the entire sim would be gone in the blink of an eye, back into the rezzer's inventory(or lost into oblivion, would depend entirely upon the issue the items, and sl's attitude that day) and the customer would have no recourse but to wait for the creator/seller to come put it back. It has happened before, I have watched it happen before. It is no reflection on the work put into the item, or a creator's capabilities. But we had a sim that was very similar to this (creator/seller rezzes for customer), and an sl hiccup triggered some odd "items do not match land rezzing/land owner's rezzing rights", and bam....an entire sim, gone, in the blink of an eye. It took us over two weeks to get a hold of the person that originally rezzed it, just so she could put it back....and then a few months later, we hit spring of '09, and bam...grid wide issues, that again, caused the same deal(and if anyone doesn't remember spring of '09, it was rough, very rough, with constant rollouts, rollbacks, and grid issues).  It was NOT the creator's fault mind you, we never blamed her, her work was awesome (well up until the not contacting us back thing, but, again, anything could have been the reason, so that wasn't a big issue). We opted for "group members put their own decor/stuff out" after that, so at least it wouldn't ALL decide to go haywire all at once, and we wouldn't be relying on an outside party should stuff indeed go haywire, we could just rez out everything that got returned(provided it didn't go into oblivion, of course).

Aside from that, someone with the wrong attitude could, easily, come and "repo" the sim, if they so choose. Not that I suspect most would, but it's still a possibility, at any given point, and in that scenario the customer would, again, have no recourse. (and LL wouldn't get involved, of course). If folks are going to dole out what, to them, may be a significant amount of cash, they're likely going to want a bit more control. Still, it's no reflection on the work folks put into such things, nor should it be seen as that(I don't think, others' opinions may differ). But these scenarios leave little to no control in the new owner's (customer's) hands...and that requires a level of trust I'm willing to bet some folks just don't have, with a perfect stranger, regardless of how good the work is, how awesome the mesh/bits/decor/textures look, how long it took the creator to make, or even how short of a time it would take said creator to set it up. I can't say I blame them, even if I may not agree.

Yes, the lack of control you cite was one reason I thought Callum would be wary of purchasing it. And I see what you mean about the issues you've had with your sims when others did custom designs for you. I guess I'm lucky that I've had very few problems with anyone having those kinds of sim glitches, though a couple people accidentally deleted an area that I came in and replaced.

And to the other concern (the actual owner of the sim taking their rented land back), I've never had this happen, but did envision possible problems with that, and so I have a contract that says the sim and terrain file are only licensed to the customer who made the purchase. Plus, I've referred a lot of people to various landlords so doubt doubt even an unscrupulous landlord would screw me or my customer over like that.

But...most of the above points are probably moot as I often give the customer the rezzer so they can rez it again if something gets deleted or messed up. However often they prefer I rez and tweak it to their liking (and it is so much easier to modify when the prims are still in my name) and don't really care about a future rez box, especially if I give them a cheaper price when I don't have to take the time to box up a modified template.

It's not for everyone, but is great for those wanting a custom job quickly as opposed to waiting for weeks/months.
It's a complex process and negotiations are usually made, though there are some that are happy with it as it rezzes out and don't require modification.

I don't really sell a lot of these types of sims anymore (half prefab/half custom I guess I'd call them), but they do provide photos for ideas, good templates to start a custom sim from, and a portfolio for those who might hire me to do a totally custom sim.

I've gotten some good feedback here as to how I might market these better in the future. Number one is fix that text that says 'X Street' on some! Maybe I should start calling these designs that utilize the SL terrain 'custom sim templates' and stress that negotiations can be made according to what the customer needs. I've kind of said that in my description, but need to make it less wordy and clearer.
Back in the day, nobody dreamed of boxing up a complex nature sim, so these were unique when they came along. But now is not then, and many have trouble understanding just what they are.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pixieplumb Flanagan said:
4 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

Ah, you have updated the listing now :)  I think that having 'xstreet' in the description would have suggested that the product has been available since way back when that was the name for what we now call SL Marketplace.  That would make it very much a pre mesh item and possibly slightly heavier in land impact than other, newer designs, and less likely to make full use of normal and specular mapping, windlight effects and so forth.  But Joe seems to like it, so perhaps he will soon be the owner of a new Mediterranean sim? 

Ah but I explained a couple posts up how these types of sims are like a template that I modify for customers, meshing or convex-hulling if needed/desired. I've run into quite a few people who do not want mesh for various reasons though. Old PC's, experience with previous mesh they hated. So best I rez out as prims and tweak to the customer specification.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2400 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.