ANone else getting booted every 5 mins after the maintenance 18/9?

Chaeni McGinnis

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2400 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Are you seeing a notification saying "You have been disconnected from Second Life.  View IM/Quit" or similar, or is the viewer just crashing to desktop?

If you are seeing the disconnect message, try powering off your router/cable modem for a few minutes & reboot your computer.  Often that is enough to fix transient connection issues.

On 21/09/2017 at 4:47 PM, Whirly Fizzle said:

Are you seeing a notification saying "You have been disconnected from Second Life.  View IM/Quit" or similar, or is the viewer just crashing to desktop?

If you are seeing the disconnect message, try powering off your router/cable modem for a few minutes & reboot your computer.  Often that is enough to fix transient connection issues.

Hi Whirly,

Thanks for your help.

Yes seeing that notification.

I've done both. Turned off/on router and computer, several times. Installed a new ethernet cable, uninstalled SL viewer, re-installed SL viewer; installed firestorm - which was even shorter time inworld before being booted, tried speed testing which all seems good.

Packets and Ping are high in Pooley/Smith/Furball - between 17 and 26% with 1000ms constantly, jumping to 10000 at the moment it quits.

My confusion is that all has been running totally smoothly for several months, no problems, no lag, fabulous experience inworld and then suddenly post maintenance ...this

FYI similar experience here, on FS.  

Private sims, other sims, I track stats a good deal into the weeds because I do a good deal of pre-release testing on (by design) a common-pc.  I've discounted my own similar experience since the update based upon my installing at about the same time the Win10 pre-release.  That complicates things of course.  And that may very well 100% be the reason for the issues in my case (not SL, not FS).  I planned to wait until this morning to reinstall FS release x64 so I could give full attention to it.  I have not done that yet this morning - that is next.  If that doesn't work > clean install of FS x32, and if that doesn't yadda backward.  With current install still, I tried logging in as usual.  HAH.  Viewer showed "L$77" balance (made me laugh, I knew that wasn't right, and learned long ago everything isn't a panic-I've-been-hacked event either).  Seconds later I logged in to browser/MP and yah showing as about right L$12k+.  That the viewer showed me at L$77 rather shocks me on identical avi account-I mean, from what calculation did it get L$77 available - not L$78, not actual L$12,000 or even a flat L$0?  I cannot come up with a plausible formula, but much more I don't know than do.  I do know I have not been at that level of Lindens on this account in likely many years so it cannot have come from any restore of anything even momentarily unless it was a restore back to um like 20- oh maybe 2011   *EDIT: or would that be 2010?*   September before this avi went premium?  Somewhat fascinates me I'd love to know why just because,  but I need to focus on one troubleshoot-ditch at a time this morning, lol so that will likely work itself out somewhere along the way separately.  I can't stay in SL long enough for my avi to rez fully, but something in my account surely connected to something else pretty quick to calculate my avis wallet seemed to look very very light-weight at exactly L$77 :)

Eh, this too shall work itself out, and we will all be here zoom-zoom this time next year likely one way or the other.  Let it work itself out sooner rather than later though. I have dishes in my RL sink.  

Edited by Kyrie Deka

6 hours ago, Chaeni McGinnis said:

Packets and Ping are high in Pooley/Smith/Furball - between 17 and 26% with 1000ms constantly, jumping to 10000 at the moment it quits.

That looks like the problem.  Normally, your packet loss should be very close to zero.  (Mine is typically 0.1% or less.) Ping time will fluctuate, especially as you teleport or during login, but should stabilize quickly to something less than 150 msec for good performance.  In North America, ping time to SL servers is generally under 100 msec, unless you happen to be using a satellite connection, which will make it a lot larger.  SL residents in Europe are farther away, so their ping times are closer to 150 msec.

As Whirly suggests, most problems like this can be solved by simply rebooting your router and modem. If you're starting to have chronic problems, you might suspect that one or both of those pieces of equipment is failing. You're most likely to notice when you are in Second Life, which pumps a lot of information in and out per second, that you are with most MMOs or certainly with streaming YouTube videos. A lot of the information that SL servers sends you during login is handled in UDP, which has no redundancy correction for packet loss. 

You can narrow down the possibilities a bit by following some of the suggestions in Nalates's blog at http://blog.nalates.net/2011/10/26/troubleshoot-your-sl-connection/  .  With information from those tests, you may be able to locate the problem yourself, or at least have pointers that can help your ISP track it down.

2 hours ago, Kyrie Deka said:

That the viewer showed me at L$77 rather shocks me on identical avi account-I mean, from what calculation did it get L$77 available - not L$78, not actual L$12,000 or even a flat L$0?

Are you sure it wasn't L$??
L$?? will display when your L$ balance fails to load in the viewer.
Left clicking on the L$ balance will force a reload, though this may not always work if the region is sick/caps fail or you are having bad connection issues.

Hiya Whirly, *waves* Yah it was L$77 for sure. I didn't take it too seriously because well you know been here long enough I've always been made whole to the limits of what was possible so my concern was very low on any missing Lindens - but yah that's surely what it said was L$77.  Somewhat amazing!  I'd seen the "??" before in the viewer so I've known that's possible - that was the first thing that came to mind.  And at every login my experience was identical to what OP describes. I'm east coast US, fastest xFinity broadband, testing healthy up/down otherwise, streaming various other devices same network no odd behaviors noticeable, modem seems fine but lots can go wrong there, I'm on a desktop with a wired connection in this case.

At this point today I've got what looks like the next Win10 16291.0 (rs3_release) installing to my left now, a fresh FS release reinstall, and a new SL release installed also.  I thought perhaps something in the SL viewer install might trigger or clean up some obscure (but feisty!) bit that had corrupted perhaps with the Win10 install.  After the new install finishes will try it out again. Likely it will work itself out.  I am not used to my avi having empty SL pockets though so it was kinda funny for a second or two - can't shop much with only L$77 showing in the till . :)))

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2400 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.