Gianni body and gianni clothes = holes

JimTondini

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2338 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi, 

I'm a newbie therefore this question could be silly but: when I wear a shirt or a pant bought in the market, they say compatible with my signature Gianni body, then the result is to have few holes in the clothes that show the skin below. 

I know I should work with the body hud and alpha , but it seems tricky to do this every time I switch clothes.

Is there a way to sync alpha and clothes ?

Thanks

25 answers to this question

I'm not familiar with the Gianni body (being a girl :-) ) but the same principles apply to basically all mesh bodies.

It is unfortunately common for clothes to not fit properly, which is why alpha cuts are available with mesh bodies. However you should not have to reset your alphas (and appliers etc.) every time you change your outfit. What I do when setting up an outfit is to make copies of all the mesh body parts I will be wearing with it, and a copy of my shape, and include those in the outfit, wear the outfit, and adjust the alphas (etc.) and shape to suit. That way I have individual body settings for each outfit, which are applied automatically every time I change, and rarely need to use the body HUD.

And don't forget, you don't need to wear any mesh body parts that will be completely covered by clothes.

Edited by angeoco

Thanks, sounds definitively a way. I suppose I need to copy body and skin and place them in the inventory folder that hold the specific shirt and pant. But I  cannot have a setting for the shirt and another for the.pant to be used individually. Like I had with standard avatars , I.e. an alpha version of the shirt.

Unless Gianni has separate parts for upper and lower body, I can't imagine any way to match body settings to individual clothes.

I store the copies of the body parts and shape in sub-folders of the Body Parts folder, and link to them from the Outfit folders (outfit folders can only contain links), so they are independent of individual clothes.

Edited by angeoco

1 hour ago, JimTondini said:

Thanks, sounds definitively a way. I suppose I need to copy body and skin and place them in the inventory folder that hold the specific shirt and pant. But I  cannot have a setting for the shirt and another for the.pant to be used individually. Like I had with standard avatars , I.e. an alpha version of the shirt.

If your body HUD has some 'alpha save slots', you can save the alpha cuts that way.  I'd only bother with that if the pants are something you wear often.  Ditto for the shirt.  Then when you want to wear the pants w/ something else, apply the save pants alpha cuts and then add additional clothing and any additional alpha cuts that might then be needed.

27 minutes ago, JimTondini said:

Thanks little me,

In this case it means I have to load the outfit and then identify and load the slot from the hud. It sounds trickier, unless I've misunderstood your suggestion.

If the HUD is like mine, it just has some numbered slots - no way to name them.  I keep a list of what each slot is for.  A bit of a pain, but easier than redoing all of the alpha cuts for something that I wear often.

Or, you could do as Angeoco suggested and make an actual copy of your body with the pants alpha cuts.  Then save the body copy with the pants.  When you want to wear those pants, wear the body and the pants, then add other items.

Unfortunately, the only other answer is to demo everything and never buy anything that does not fit perfectly.

45 minutes ago, JimTondini said:

Thanks little me,

In this case it means I have to load the outfit and then identify and load the slot from the hud. It sounds trickier, unless I've misunderstood your suggestion.

what is tricky about it... it's made for that purpose...(!)

As soon you'r used to the hud, the slots are just a help .. you can use indivudual alpha cuts or whole parts with the new release.

When you change clothes it's only a few clicks to adjust.

creating a whole new folder with body, clothes, alpha sets ánd right skin applied to it is a hell of a job... and as soon a update comes out you can start allover...

make changing clothes a skill, you'll profit at any body now and in the future. ( unless more creators go use autohide)

Edited by Alwin Alcott

Assuming you body does have alpha slots, what "I" do on favorite clothes it to make them into and outfit  that would say something like "Gray Sweats and Sneakers - Slot 6". So than I just wear that outfit (made using the outfit option) and I know that the alpha slot I need is "slot 6". 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

Assuming you body does have alpha slots, what "I" do on favorite clothes it to make them into and outfit  that would say something like "Gray Sweats and Sneakers - Slot 6". So than I just wear that outfit (made using the outfit option) and I know that the alpha slot I need is "slot 6". 

Nice trick, thanks

1 hour ago, Alwin Alcott said:

creating a whole new folder with body, clothes, alpha sets ánd right skin applied to it is a hell of a job... and as soon a update comes out you can start allover...

I don't find that at all. Put in a bit of work at the start (by copying existing setups and tweaking them) and it makes changing outfits child's play, just one click "Replace current outfit", and zero need to fiddle with HUDs and shapes. As for mesh-body updates, yes the copies need to be set up again but the system I use keeps a simple record of all settings applied (I won't bore everybody with the details) so it doesn't take long to re-apply them, and then just "replace links" to update the outfit links. Everybody has their own system, and this one works very well for me.

Edited by angeoco
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, JimTondini said:

Some clothes cannot be tried as demo and that's the result.

clipping clothes/bodyparts is perfectly normal, that is why a alpha hud is standard. As long the waist and ankles are ok all other parts can be hidden.

Most clothes that seem to fit perfectly have often a autohide/auto alpha function, shows like it fits, but doesn't because it already hides the body as soon you put it on.

1 hour ago, Alwin Alcott said:

Most clothes that seem to fit perfectly have often a autohide/auto alpha function, shows like it fits, but doesn't because it already hides the body as soon you put it on.

I can't really speak to the guy stuff as most of what I have tried on (as my boy shape) really didn't fit all that well. They guys do seem to be way down on the priority list for designers -- presumably as there are less $$ to be had with less spending going on. 

That being said there are many (or perhaps a few Work For Hire folks that sell exclusively) mesh clothing designers who DO go to all the extra work to rig each and every vertices to the correct weight. I am sometimes truly amazed. So no alpha layers needed.

Case in point below with a SFW pose that I think it will be legal here. Trust me, there are NO ALPHA slots used or needed LOL.

At the same time there are plenty of clothes for gals that SAY they are for Maitreya or Slink etc and don't fit at all. No amount of alpha slots will make them look good and we are back to the huge boobs and butts syndrome of years past. Now that we have nice mesh bodies there is NO REASON to put up with that.

So to the OP,  

ALWAYS TRY THE DEMOS!!!!!!!!  Don't trust the sellers claims. 

bodyjewelry.thumb.jpg.7c29cc53e22baec62d878dcd0ddb4766.jpg

Edited by Chic Aeon
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

Trust me, there are NO ALPHA slots used or needed LOL.

ALWAYS TRY THE DEMOS!!!!!!!!  Don't trust the sellers claims. 

ehm... i trust you :) no sign of alpha slots there 

and yes.. always demo..

and.... i wear gianni, and belleza males.. haven't found one single clothing piece (except some shoes) that doesn't require the alpha's, no difference in the premium designers or imitation/retexture only designers

3 hours ago, JimTondini said:

Some clothes cannot be tried as demo and that's the result.

The best move in such situations where the creator cannot be bothered to provide demos: pass them on and shop elsewhere.

1 hour ago, Chic Aeon said:

They guys do seem to be way down on the priority list for designers -- presumably as there are less $$ to be had with less spending going on.

It always quite sounds like a "loss-loss" situation to me ... if there is less care and less concern put into male fashion, why should they be bothered to buy it? Hence sales stay low and designers complain that male fashion doesn't sell well ... rinse and repeat...

• Like 1

Besides adjusting the alpha settings on your mesh body HUD, there are two other tips that may (sometimes) help.

1.  Sometimes it's just too much trouble for me to go setting up the alpha with the HUD.  Lots of clothes also come with versions for a classic avatar, plus a pre-made alpha mask.  It may be simpler to just wear your classic body and a fitmesh or rigged mesh version of the clothes.

2.  Sometimes very close-fitting clothes come with an applier for the mesh body.  In that case instead of adjusting the alpha controls, just use the applier to texture your body with the clothing.  It's a slightly different application of the old "glitch pants" for prim skirts.

Wow... you guys seem to be going to a lot of trouble to get things working. Most of the big brand bodies come with automated alpha controllers. You the end user can use a controller or the designer can include one in the product.

I wear Slink Physique most of the time. Slink includes a alpha controller for designers in their design packs and one with the body for customers (Slink Auto-Alpha MiniHUD Clean (Copy me)). I prefer to use the customer side controller.

The idea with the customer side controller is to wear A COPY of it. Also wear the body's HUD. In the Body HUD make sure automated alpha is enabled in the ALPHA section. 

Add clothes and see where the you need alpha to hide parts of the body. Once you have your alpha's set, click the controller. It reads the Body HUD and saves the information.

Take off the controller, reset the body to ALL visible, no alpha. Wear the controller. It should set the alphas to what you had. If not, you made a mistake or the Body HUD is confused.

I put a the controller copy in the folder with the dress or whatever needs those alpha settings. When I build an outfit, I include the Body HUD and the Alpha Controller as part of the outfit. There is a gotcha. The Body HUD has to be up and working before the Alpha Controller starts. SL does not maintain wear-in-this-order information. So, I sometimes the controller attaches ahead of the Body HUD then I have to detach and reattach the controller and sometimes the scrambled start order confuses the Body HUD. Clear that problem while the controller is off, not worn. Toggle the alphas so all parts are visible. Disable then enable the Auto-Alpha feature (this clears the Slink HUD's memory of alpha settings). Now wear the controller, which is showing in the Outfit's parts.

The majority of the time the controller works well and the reset dance is NOT needed.

I don't have to worry about filling my inventory with multiple copies of the body or be limited to however few memory slots the HUD has or which slot goes with which dress.

I tend to include HUD's in my outfits. The HUD's that I may want to use, like nail color. I stopped saving multiple copies of my nails. I attach the Nail HUD I use with the Outfit as part of the Outfit and set nail color when I first put on the outfit.

There are other HUD's I include in outfits when the dress or whatever has settings I will want to change. A dress with a single option is easier to use as multiple copies. But, a dress with 4 options and 6 choices in each has 4,000+ possible combinations... I save different basic versions of the dress as I create them and attach the HUD with them to tweak the options.

13 minutes ago, Nalates Urriah said:

Wow... you guys seem to be going to a lot of trouble to get things working.

i think the fact the OP thinks it's tricky to use the alpha slots/cuts conflicts with the usabillity of the clothes'/body

On 18-9-2017 at 10:13 AM, JimTondini said:

I know I should work with the body hud and alpha , but it seems tricky to do this every time I switch clothes.

Thanks again,

I used exactly the way to copy the body. The hud copy seems useless since the alpha values seems to be stored in the body itself. So I did that way, and I did it approx 6 times, since my wardrobe is not that rich.

Well, today, the vendor, released a new version of the body and hud... :-(

I revive this one i started because I recently found the auto alpha feature in the recent update.

This avoids me to copy the bodies for each and every outfit. How? I got the autoalpha HUD from the signature store. Then I realized I can't add the scripts to the clothes content since they are not editable.

What I've done has been to create a transparent prim that I can wear. I embedded the alpha scripts in each prim (one for each cloth) and I load them together with the cloth. Result: now I use one body copy only. Other benefit: I can remove the cloth together with the newly created prim, and is more or less like remove on the classic avi. 

Hope it helps someone.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2338 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.