These numbers have got to be wrong

Chinami1000

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2404 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

4 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I don't think I've ever been logged into SL for four hours straight, let alone average that. My butt would get sore and I'd prolly wet myself

You know...you could stay logged in and go to the toilet. I heard thats beneficial for both problems: Sore butt and risk of wetting yourself.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Chinami1000 said:

And it says things like there are 50,000,000 users

There may well be that many registered accounts that have accumulated over time but that number means nothing of course.

In June two years ago Ebbe Linden mentioned in an interview that the number of active users had dropped below one million. (Active users are the number of accoutns that have logged on to SL at least once during the last 30 days.)

14 hours ago, Chinami1000 said:

But I go on the Destinations guide and look at "hot", which I presume are the places with the most users at the moment....

It isn't. The "What's Hot" list in the destination guide was made several years ago and never been updated, they just rotate the lsit ocne or twice a day.

But you do have an interesting point there. Those places used to be completely empty. But a few months ago we had a dsicussion about it on this forum. Shortly afterwards, all the "hot" places suddenly showed up with a steady 20-give-or-take-one-or-two. It's the same old places, nothing's changed there, but suddenly all of them have the same quite high and unbelievably stable visit count.

6 hours ago, Chinami1000 said:

I think from what I'm seeing that money can be earned like any business

You mean as a new actor in Second Life real estate? You'll be entering a declining market, with a vendor lock in to a company with a justifiably horrible reputation for how they handle B2B and competing against strong well established actors with all the right connections, the initial investements paid down years ago and special deals with LL you'll never ever get. Yes, it's possible. Good luck!

But to give you an idea: a full private sim will cost you 295 dollars a month in tier. If you want to compete on price against the big established land barons, you can rent it out for no more than 305 dollars a month. So max profit from a full generic sim is 10 dollars. But then there's the setup fee and don't forget that you have to pay tier even while the sim is vacant.

Edited by ChinRey

3 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

You mean as a new actor in Second Life real estate? You'll be entering a declining market, with a vendor lock in to a company with a justifiably horrible reputation for how they handle B2B and competing against strong well established actors with all the right connections, the initial investements paid down years ago and special deals with LL you'll never ever get. Yes, it's possible. Good luck!

Is that all?  Doesn't sound so hard.  ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chinami1000 said:

If anyone thinks there is a such thing as easy money, I want to sell them something.  Something expensive. 

I think from what I'm seeing that money can be earned like any business, but I'm still having a difficult time figuring out where the actual players are, not the bots.  And I'm not interested in the adult businesses, which seem to be where an awful lot of creepy green dots are.

A-Calling the folks you're looking for creepy before you even find them, isn't likely the best way to find folks to engage with inworld, lol, even if they might hang out at a place you aren't all too sure of at first....which brings me to my next point....

B-Not all of the lands labelled as adult actually ARE adult businesses ;) It's just a land rating, not necessarily indicative of what is actually ON the land, or going on, on the land. You can read up on land ratings if you want to, but, some folks simply choose adult rating as a CYA scenario, rather than a necessary one. 

To find people, do what I said earlier. Open the world map, scroll outward..find dots, tp to those places. But, again, as I said earlier, most people in large groupings are at clubs, or events(shopping events, concerts, hunts, other events escaping me at the moment, etc.). If those aren't your bag, you're not likely to find groupings of people above single digits in many places.

Edited by Tari Landar
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, Chinami1000 said:

I'm new and found SL because I heard about Sansar. 

This world is amazing and some of these properties are so well done.  I've got a mind for business - like a serial entrepreneur and speculator, so I'm thinking "a builder probably makes some money".  So I look up the population and users and I see the Dwell On It blog. 

And it says things like there are 50,000,000 users and 50,000 logging in each day, 15,000 joining every day.

But I go on the Destinations guide and look at "hot", which I presume are the places with the most users at the moment.... and they have 20 people.  Most everywhere I go has nobody.  Empty clubs.  Empty shopping stores. 

What am I missing here?

I believe that, as new user, you're probably missing something indeed.

Stores are not exactly social hangouts so I don't really see the problem that a store is not full 24/7.

20 people is good for a place, considering that the average limit is 40 avies per area.

If you want to become a builder, it's highly recommended that you do -or learn to do- mesh items.

Income, as in rl, depends a lot on marketing, being seen, fame, ads, etc... I know some big name shoestores that are here from ages and sell everything over the average price, but they're still unable to weight correctly their shoes for Belleza feet. They still sell and make LD nonetheless and that's it. Once you're a big name, you can sell the crappiest s*** and every fashionista will continue to support it.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Morgan Rosenstar said:

They still sell and make LD nonetheless and that's it. Once you're a big name, you can sell the crappiest s*** and every fashionista will continue to support it

About 4 1/2 - 5 years ago, when rigged mesh thigh boots were just starting to appear, I went looking for a pair.

A friend recommended this "Italian Designer Fashion Outlet", so I went and looked...

The saggy baggy boots came in 3 colours, mud with a hint of white, mud with a hint of green and mud with a hint of brown, each colour was sold separately, and the pack included 3 sizes, xxs, chicken leg, and Italian breadstick. The packs were 1250 ls each.

Then I went to Jaime Earst's, and bought a nicer pair of sleek thigh boots for 250 ls, that came in 7 bright attractive colour packs, each pack including 7 sizes from XXS to East German Olympic Lady Shot-Putter.

Jaime Earst eventually closed, last time I checked, a year or two back, the fake "italian designer outlet" was still going strong.

SL Businesses have a tendency for the crap to survive, not because itsd good, or cheap, but simply because it's OLD... Everyone knows...

"Brand X has been here since 2006 and they charge a lot so they must be really good, eww wouldn't buy cheap stuff from NOOBS less than a decade old would we darlings"

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, Morgan Rosenstar said:

20 people is good for a place, considering that the average limit is 40 avies per area.

It is but don't forget that we have no reason whatsoever to believe the visit counts for the places on the "hot" list are real. Everything about those figures look so suspicious I think we can take it for granted that Linden Lab is cheating there.

11 hours ago, Chinami1000 said:

I'm new and found SL because I heard about Sansar. 

This world is amazing and some of these properties are so well done.  I've got a mind for business - like a serial entrepreneur and speculator, so I'm thinking "a builder probably makes some money".  So I look up the population and users and I see the Dwell On It blog. 

And it says things like there are 50,000,000 users and 50,000 logging in each day, 15,000 joining every day.

But I go on the Destinations guide and look at "hot", which I presume are the places with the most users at the moment.... and they have 20 people.  Most everywhere I go has nobody.  Empty clubs.  Empty shopping stores. 

What am I missing here?

Theresa Tennyson looks at the "new" person whose dress and viewer choices make them look suspiciously like someone from 2009, despite the fact that the current defaults wouldn't encourage that and would in fact mean they'd have to go out of their way to get there.

Yep, shenanigans are not unheard of around here.

• Like 3

Going back to finding "the people" on your sim - a slightly easier way than zooming out. Since it appears that you are on the firestorm viewer and have your "people" tab open, I would suggest right clicking on those names. You can zoom to them or TP to them to see if they are alone, etc. Although I typically wouldn't advise TPing to them because you'd drop on their head, it would be the fastest way to get to them. Another way is if you use the keyboard shortcut "gth 3400" in your main chat line (or however many meters high they are). This doesn't always work because you aren't sure if the person-focused area is directly on top of you in the sim, but it'll getcha up there in the sky, at least! 

10 hours ago, Chinami1000 said:

So let me ask, is the real estate profitable? 

Let me see if I have this straight...

1. You created your account 2 days ago.

2. You think there is no one in SL because of the 23K+ sims you cant find huge groups of people.

3. For some reason you abandoned your starter av in favor of freebie stuff from 5+ years ago.

4. You want to be a land baron. 

If I haven't missed the mark, my only response can be .  Just for you, Maddy. 

1288388_roflmao_gif3c27b0c44b9f840665edd9a2d24b57f3.gif

• Haha 4

13 hours ago, Chinami1000 said:

I'm new and found SL because I heard about Sansar.  Most everywhere I go has nobody.  Empty clubs.  Empty shopping stores. 

What am I missing here?

Time zones are an issue with crowds as is searching for the right things. Go to a popular sandbox and it will be full. Pickup places are often packed full.  Many people live in their own homes doing thier own thing or aren't socializing also. 

Use the search function in websearch and type in your interest, use places as category  and use the traffic high to low drop down option to find the most popular places.

4 hours ago, Syo Emerald said:

You know...you could stay logged in and go to the toilet. I heard thats beneficial for both problems: Sore butt and risk of wetting yourself.

The problem with that is my exceptionally high susceptibility to distraction. Somewhere on the way to/from the bathroom I'd see something shiny, leaving poor Maddy stuck in a compromising pose until I happened across the computer again.

;-).

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Callum Meriman said:

To be truely distracted one needsimageproxy.php?img=&key=e5f5edf17e7ad1aa a laser!

download.gif.a80f0ba722e7614c9c421f576226e0c7.gif

I have one cat that is, easily and hilariously, distracted by milk jug cap rings, and marbles. Find or give him one of those, and you won't likely see him for the rest of the day. This is a good thing, because he can be a terribly obnoxious lil twit when he wants to(and he ALWAYS wants to), especially when you don't like having your feet touched and he insists on licking them constantly just to spite you, then look at you as if you've grown ten heads and he's not sure which he'd rather listen to. 

He's a very strange cat who hates lasers, and is scared of bananas...no, not like some cats that are scared of cucumbers..he will literally cry at you if a banana is any closer to him than three feet away.  He fits right in with my oddly dysfunctionally functional family :D 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Theresa Tennyson looks at the "new" person whose dress and viewer choices make them look suspiciously like someone from 2009, despite the fact that the current defaults wouldn't encourage that and would in fact mean they'd have to go out of their way to get there.

Good point Theresa. Also of course, already had time to switch to a thrid party viewer and gain access to a sim that is only available to group members...

Chinami, it's not a good idea to try to pose as a newcomer if you aren't on this forum. Especially not if you are posting thigns that is bound to trigger people's defense mechanisms. They will check every little detail and use anything they find to discredit you. ;)

Edited by ChinRey

1 hour ago, Parhelion Palou said:

Distracted?

1 hour ago, Callum Meriman said:

To be truely distracted one needs a laser!

Damn you two. That's an hour of my life I'll never get back, during which I found this...

and this...

and this...

and this...

http://www.lifehack.org/articles/productivity/10-critical-tips-prevent-distraction-and-sharpen-your-focus.html

• Haha 4

8 hours ago, norajulian said:

Going back to finding "the people" on your sim - a slightly easier way than zooming out. Since it appears that you are on the firestorm viewer and have your "people" tab open, I would suggest right clicking on those names. You can zoom to them or TP to them to see if they are alone, etc. Although I typically wouldn't advise TPing to them because you'd drop on their head, it would be the fastest way to get to them. Another way is if you use the keyboard shortcut "gth 3400" in your main chat line (or however many meters high they are). This doesn't always work because you aren't sure if the person-focused area is directly on top of you in the sim, but it'll getcha up there in the sky, at least! 

I made that mistake at the retro club.  ended up on stage.  if my avatar could blush she would have.

5 hours ago, ChinRey said:

Good point Theresa. Also of course, already had time to switch to a thrid party viewer and gain access to a sim that is only available to group members...

Chinami, it's not a good idea to try to pose as a newcomer if you aren't on this forum. Especially not if you are posting thigns that is bound to trigger people's defense mechanisms. They will check every little detail and use anything they find to discredit you. ;)

listen, it's not difficult to download a viewer that someone says is good to download.  If I'm doing well enough that you're convinced I've been playing since 2009 I'm flattered.  Business is complicated.  Programming is complicated.  Walking around and asking people questions and then doing what they say to do is not. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chinami1000 said:

listen, it's not difficult to download a viewer that someone says is good to download.  If I'm doing well enough that you're convinced I've been playing since 2009 I'm flattered.  Business is complicated.  Programming is complicated.  Walking around and asking people questions and then doing what they say to do is not. 

Deciding whether or not you should do what that say, on the other hand...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Deciding whether or not you should do what that say, on the other hand...

Boys have been pretty helpful.  If you walk up to a man on here and say "hi, you look pretty smart, help me out" they will answer your questions for an hour or more, until they eventually get tired and offer you virtual sexy time.  Then it's off to the next one.  So easy.  :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2404 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.