Looking for help or information about mesh physics

Wampster

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2414 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am working on a custom house that I have been developing in Blender. Right now, I am working on the floors. At first, I created convex boxes (with spaces between to avoid touching). I could not get the physics to work in the test server. On this attempt, I have reduced the convex boxes to simple planes. The physics still don't work.

Physics planes

Also, the planes are not positioned in the upload screen where they are in Blender. Not only do the yellow sections protrude out the front of the building but they are also not aligned vertically with the floors of the building.

Upload window

Does anyone know what I am missing or not understanding, in regards to Second Life physics? I would appreciate any and all input.

Edited by Wampster
Added more detail.

I went through the video multiple times. It's not helping my situation.

I'm open to uploading the model in sections. I even expected to do so when I first started out. The only reason that I haven't done it already is because I hadn't thought about how to align the  pieces precisely after I rez them.  In fact, the house is already in sections. In Blender, the house is made of 28 objects thus far.

I've tried uploading the cube system and the plane system. I don't seem to be having any success. I'm confident that I understand the principles involved as I have a lot of experience working with physics engines (outside of Second Life), modeling and related tasks.

I just seem to be missing something crucial and probably obvious.

It looks like from your screenshots that you are trying to upload the model with only PART of a physics model. If you are JUST uploading the floors then you could perhaps use the physics model that you have. As it is, the very simple model that doesn't address all the inside walls is trying to become the physics model for the whole build. Where are the parts for the walls in your physics model?   The fact that the physics model doesn't fit your house model is a big clue. Did you apply location, rotation and scale to BOTH the physics and the house model?  I don't think that is your issue but it can cause things like this, so that needs to be remembered. 

I honestly can't wrap my head around trying to upload that all as one model  -- let alone with physics :D.   So perhaps someone else has some ideas.  Second Life has a lot (a lot) of odd "rules" and since you have lots of experience in other "engines" or whatever you may be trying to use that knowledge and it is actually hindering you.  

And yes, you may need some practice so that you can align things correctly. It CAN be done but it takes some experience. You can also upload items as a linkset.

KEEP IN MIND that you can only have 8 materials per object and there are also vertex limits (22,000 ish) before the uploader becomes VERY unhappy and does some nasty things to your mesh. 

Sorry. Middle of the night from me, so that's all I've got at the moment :D.  

You might try uploading the model on the beta grid with only a CUBE as the physics model just to see how well the rest might be going. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Wampster said:

I am working on a custom house that I have been developing in Blender. Right now, I am working on the floors. At first, I created convex boxes (with spaces between to avoid touching). I could not get the physics to work in the test server. On this attempt, I have reduced the convex boxes to simple planes. The physics still don't work.

Physics planes

Also, the planes are not positioned in the upload screen where they are in Blender. Not only do the yellow sections protrude out the front of the building but they are also not aligned vertically with the floors of the building.

Upload window

Does anyone know what I am missing or not understanding, in regards to Second Life physics? I would appreciate any and all input.

The reason that the physics mesh you're trying to upload is protruding out of the front of the building (and quite possibly the reason it isn't aligning vertically as well) is that you seem to have neglected to include a physics mesh for the front steps.  When uploading mesh to SL the uploader will automatically resize your physics model to match the dimensions of the mesh you're uploading. 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2414 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.