Do You Prefer Living On Mainland or a Private/Homestead Sim

Mitchell Indigo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2345 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

20 minutes ago, Virtualnsanity said:

If i click on world there is no >about land tab (confused) - i use firestorm phoenix

Ahh - I'll go check and report back, unless someone else manages to before me.  So many new folks use the LL viewer that I give those instructions first.  I use Firestorm, but haven't done this option in a long time.

ETA - World / Parcel Details (or just click the location name in the top bar) - a window should open with an Abandon option.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Common topic.

I choose mainland and for this specific reason: I purchase the parcel and pay Linden Lab my land use fees. It costs less than renting and *I* am 100% in control, no one can tell me what I can or cannot do, no one can evict me, other than LL.

As for paying Land Use Fees: A lot of "landlords" like to proclaim, "But you can pay in L$!!!" - Well, so can I. I simply sell a few L$ for $ U.S. credit and ensure there is enough to pay the fee every month. Costs a LOT LESS L$ to do it that way than rent from any landlord. Oh, and *anyone* can buy land. Sure, to buy land for yourself you have to be a Premium subscriber. OR: you can create an alt, create a group of two, then shop for land and choose "Buy for Group" - all you need do is contribute the proper tier to the group.

So my group owns 2587 square meters (groups get a bonus) which is in the 2048 Tier, which is $15 a month. 4000L$ converts to $15.07 as I write this. So I am essentially paying L$4000 for 2048 M2 per MONTH. Know any landlords renting that much space for only L$1000 a week? 

Edit to add: As for any ugly crap floating around? Right-click, choose DERENDER. Done. :)

Edited by Qa Boa
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Qa Boa said:

Common topic.

I choose mainland and for this specific reason: I purchase the parcel and pay Linden Lab my land use fees. It costs less than renting and *I* am 100% in control, no one can tell me what I can or cannot do, no one can evict me, other than LL.

As for paying Land Use Fees: A lot of "landlords" like to proclaim, "But you can pay in L$!!!" - Well, so can I. I simply sell a few L$ for $ U.S. credit and ensure there is enough to pay the fee every month. Costs a LOT LESS L$ to do it that way than rent from any landlord. Oh, and *anyone* can buy land. Sure, to buy land for yourself you have to be a Premium subscriber. OR: you can create an alt, create a group of two, then shop for land and choose "Buy for Group" - all you need do is contribute the proper tier to the group.

So my group owns 2587 square meters (groups get a bonus) which is in the 2048 Tier, which is $15 a month. 4000L$ converts to $15.07 as I write this. So I am essentially paying L$4000 for 2048 M2 per MONTH. Know any landlords renting that much space for only L$1000 a week? 

Edit to add: As for any ugly crap floating around? Right-click, choose DERENDER. Done. :)

My landlady rents me a 4096 for 1300 a week 1250 prims so to rent from her a 2048 parcel would cost me 650 a week. This is a private estate. And no not a special price

Edited by KanryDrago

Food for thought, but you can drop the cost of mainland further by utilizing premium accounts and a land group.

For example, if you get a premium account on a yearly payment cycle, you pay about $72usd/yr, but you get L$300/week as a stipend. If you save the stipend up then cash it out at the end of the year, you can use it to pay about $61usd towards your annual Premium fee, leaving you paying only about $11/yr out of pocket after that first year.

Now, let's say you have three accounts, all Premium, all annual. Each has 512sq.m. of land which you can combine in a land group. Doing this gives you 10% more land tier for free so you end up with about 1690sq.m. of land tier costing you $2.75usd a month. Doubling that to 3379sq.m. only costs you $5.50/mo

Of course, if you do not have any premium accounts right now, setting some up is going to set you back a lot that first year, but you can also add more accounts (and thereby more land) over time. Start with one Premium, then a year later add a second, then wait a year to add a third. If you ask me, this is the biggest selling point of going Premium.

• Thanks 1

I prefer either one that sees me left alone :-)  I can de-render and Skybox my way away from the visually unappealing; so as long as I don't have invasive neighbors, I'm happy.

I do have a funny story about the door-to-door, home-invading n00b evangelists from WAY back who wanted to know if my Partner and I were "lesbeans", one that was an entertaining little vignette about "right to privacy"......... but that's for another time :-)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2345 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.