Do You Prefer Living On Mainland or a Private/Homestead Sim

Mitchell Indigo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2308 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

You can abandon the linden house and try a new one 5 times a day until you find one you like.  The choices are limited and the location is random but the neighbors will never put out a hideous build of block your view.  There is also very little you can do to decorate the outside of the house since it sits right on your property line.  The yards and paths are owned by LL.  It kind of feels like you have more land but try to set out a jack-o-lantern by your door and see how that goes :(

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Virtualnsanity said:

Taken the plunge! 1yrs premium paid for! Not going for Linden home. Will keep an eye out for what's available.

You could take a Linden home just to have a home base until you find something.  Once you find something you like, you simply abandon the Linden home before making the mainland purchase.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

It kind of feels like you have more land but try to set out a jack-o-lantern by your door and see how that goes :(

I've been able to get quite a few things out front on the little porches. I even had my roaming peacock on the porch on my first premium house.

Which reminds me, I need to find the skeleton flamingoes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

You could take a Linden home just to have a home base until you find something.  Once you find something you like, you simply abandon the Linden home before making the mainland purchase.

And that way i get the allowance for my abandoned linden home against my mainland land when i do? All i do is abandon it? Do i have to follow some procedure or is there so order you need to do things in to ensure they discount the mainland land accordingly?

2 minutes ago, Virtualnsanity said:

And that way i get the allowance for my abandoned linden home against my mainland land when i do? All i do is abandon it? Do i have to follow some procedure or is there so order you need to do things in to ensure they discount the mainland land accordingly?

The 512sqm the Linden home sits on, will automatically be credited to your premium account once you abandon the house. No procedure to follow other than abandoning the land - it's very easy :)

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Virtualnsanity said:

When i abandon it, do i need a normal property or a skybox? I get the impression skyboxes are just a cube with pictures for views as opposed to actually seeing what is going on through the window? Is that correct? 

Yes you're correct about skyboxes but don't let that put you off - some of them are absolutely stunning and you'd never know you were actually in a skybox. Always check the reviews and try to see some in-world if you can.

You can put a skybox - obviously - above or on the land you buy. Literally, the sky's the limit with Linden land :)

Edited by AnyaJurelle
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Virtualnsanity said:

When i abandon it, do i need a normal property or a skybox? I get the impression skyboxes are just a cube with pictures for views as opposed to actually seeing what is going on through the window? Is that correct? 

Sky box is term for a house in the sky.  It can be a small house with picture scenes or it can have open to air windows.  I had a steampunk airship once that was low enough to see the ground clearly. We kept a small pond on the ground and lived in the sky.   I had a sky scrapper roof top once that was enclosed in a huge sphere with a night time cityscape texture on it.  That was parked 2000 meters above land and from the outside looked like a big pale blue ball.  I have also had a skybox that was a large flying house with a garden suspended below it on huge chains.

Anyway, a skybox is still a house that needs land.  It is just built in the sky instead of the ground.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Virtualnsanity said:

All i do is abandon it? Do i have to follow some procedure 

To abandon the Linden home:

1. Stand on the land, or in the Linden Home (yes, you have to go back, but just this once ;-).
  2. Go to World->About Land. The Land window pops up.
  3. In the General Tab, click "Abandon Land".
  4. To make sure you've abandoned what you wanted, go to your web dashboard "Land Manager" page and make sure you no longer see your Linden home or the land you abandoned.
  • Thanks 1

So when you buy land or are given your linden house and land do you get all the sky above it to an unlimited height? And if you are on the ground and your house is in the sky how do you get to it? You need a landmark for it and teleport? If that is the case how do you get there the first time after you put it in the sky? 

Basically, after you've bought some land, you can put any sort of house or box or whatever on the ground or anywhere in the sky.  Homes that are boxes in the sky are referred to as skyboxes.  However, you could just build a platform, raise it to the desired height, and stick a regular house on it if you wish.  

Based on your comments though, I'm guessing you want waterfront land and thus would likely want some sort of house on the ground to enjoy said waterfront.

When looking for land, don't worry about whether or not it seems to have a beach area - you can create that.  You just need it to be either next to real water or at the edge of a sim so it looks like water.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Virtualnsanity said:

So when you buy land or are given your linden house and land do you get all the sky above it to an unlimited height? And if you are on the ground and your house is in the sky how do you get to it? You need a landmark for it and teleport? If that is the case how do you get there the first time after you put it in the sky? 

You fly up there initially - or open the map and change the height of your current location and teleport (be sure you are in fly mode or you'll start falling).

To put a house up there, most rez a platform (i.e. a flat box object) and change the height of it to the height you want.  Once the platform is at the height you want, teleport yourself to that height and rez a house on the platform.  

A skybox doesn't really need a platform - you simply rezi it on the ground and edit the height setting.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Thanks 1

Yes, you have all the sky above it.  It can do some funky things about 10,000 meters and honestly, 4000 meters is about as high as you can go and be sure nothing goes bad.

How to get to 2000 meters the first time:

• res a box
  • right-click and sit on the box
  • right-click and edit the box.
  • Set the z position to 2000 feet.

If the skybox house is all one piece you can do that with the house instead of a box.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

How to get to 2000 meters the first time:

• res a box
  • right-click and sit on the box
  • right-click and edit the box.
  • Set the z position to 2000 feet.

When you stand up from that box, if you haven't rezzed a platform yet, be ready to hit fly mode  :D

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

You fly up there initially - or open the map and change the height of your current location and teleport (be sure you are in fly mode or you'll start falling).

To put a house up there, most rez a platform (i.e. a flat box object) and change the height of it to the height you want.  Once the platform is at the height you want, teleport yourself to that height and rez a house on the platform.  

A skybox doesn't really need a platform - you simply rezi it on the ground and edit the height setting.

I never worked out how to fly up and down. I always seem to be at the same level. I grange so much to learn. Thank God for you lot!

As long as we're just shootin' the breeze: One thing about skyboxes is that "whitelist" bans only go like 50m above ground level. That's the kind of ban where access is limited to a group and/or a list of individuals. (In contrast, "blacklist" bans restricting access by specific offenders go all the way up.)

I never use whitelist bans myself, but I'm not all that interested in privacy; others may have different expectations, particularly of skyboxes. There's also "privacy" from disabling "Avatars on other parcels can see and chat with avatars on this parcel" but anybody in the parcel's airspace can cam around and see everything.

• Thanks 1

I hadn't seen it mentioned before, but you can enclose the skybox in a dome. Typically they have sky settings, some offer weather effects, and they do also give a greater sense of privacy. I have seen some people do beachfront properties inside them and they were quite nice.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Virtualnsanity said:

Ok all. If any of you know of or see a nice plot of land 512 or 1024m2 in a nice location. Thinking beachfront by useable water or alternatively lively city location. Let me know! May even pay a finders fee or gift/reward of some sort if i buy it! 

Pull up the world map and look for the bits of land painted yellow with a L$ price tag over them. Not all land for sale is necessarily listed and you can find some real bargains going on a hunt :)

On 12/10/2017 at 4:46 PM, LittleMe Jewell said:

To abandon the Linden home:

1. Stand on the land, or in the Linden Home (yes, you have to go back, but just this once ;-).
  2. Go to World->About Land. The Land window pops up.
  3. In the General Tab, click "Abandon Land".
  4. To make sure you've abandoned what you wanted, go to your web dashboard "Land Manager" page and make sure you no longer see your Linden home or the land you abandoned.

If i click on world there is no >about land tab (confused) - i use firestorm phoenix

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2308 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.