Jump to content

Do You Prefer Living On Mainland or a Private/Homestead Sim


You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1308 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

omg you didn't say Madlanders

I prefer Mainland for one primary reason -- I get my land directly from LL (yet I cannot afford a full estate) and therefore do not ever have to worry about something happening to my landlord and me s

Ok so to keep you all in the loop and prove you advice and assistance makes a difference ... i introduce my new home Thistle Doo!

Posted Images

I forgot to answer your question about the Linden Home - you don't have to take a Linden Home if you don't want to but if you do take one and then decide to buy land, you'll be paying the full tier fees for whatever size you purchase (because the free 512sqm you'll already have taken as a free Linden Home).

I did initially take the free house, but ditched it in favor of buying Mainland water.

Edited by AnyaJurelle
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Virtualnsanity said:

Mainland any old person can walk through or turn up or do you have security/privacy of some sort?

If you own the land outright through LL you have full control of access if like me you rent mainland from another person you may not have any 'about land' ability to control access, the parcel i rent is group owned and i've only been given the access ability ban people

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, AnyaJurelle said:

I forgot to answer your question about the Linden Home - you don't have to take a Linden Home if you don't want to but if you do take one and then decide to buy land, you'll be paying the full tier fees for whatever size you purchase (because the free 512sqm you'll already have taken as a free Linden Home).

I did initially take the free house, but ditched it in favor of buying Mainland water.

Final question - you say mainland water. By that you just buy some ocean? and stick your own island in it? is that correct?

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's really just Mainland land - it was only that the one I bought was alongside 2 others and all 3 were submerged, but you can use the edit land tool to raise land if you prefer.

There's plenty of Mainland blocks for sale along the coast, lots of islands, and submerged. You can see them for sale when you bring up the world map - they're highlighted in yellow with a L$ sign over them - if you click on the L$ tag, it will usually tell you the price and size of the block and you can (typically) teleport to each one to have a look. That's what I did.

If you find one you like, click on 'About Land>Buy'.

Hope I haven't missed something in that reply!

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Akasha Sternberg said:

ok can we do a 101 for stupid Kashas? ^^

Mainland:

  • premium is needed (9.95$/7,95€ a month)     <== Correct, but it is cheaper to pay yearly
  • 5$ /month land tier (or does that vary per parcel size?)  <=== You get 512 tier as part of your membership.  If you buy more land than 512, you pay tier to LL based on the size (you can check your dashboard, under Land Manager, Land Use Fees to see the cost)
  • one time parcel purchase price    <=== Correct
  • how many prims do you get (or are they dependant on the size?)   <=== 175 prims per 512, if you get an odd size, you'll have to calculate the prims
  • can you stock up on prims?   <=== No

Private:    <=== all of the below is correct

  • no premium
  • you pay the tier depending on size, prims depend on size, too, CAN be expanded but not with every landlord or on every sim
  • can poof all of a sudden

I´ve rented with  Azure Islands back in the days, been with them for years and never had a problem, so they would be my first place to look up rentals if I can free enough budget... unless the mainland stuff was more economic of course^^

 

I did think of a roommatesship, too, so homeless ppl who get along could rent a bigger parcel and live together - of course that is risky regarding drama... we know how SL is....

(potential roommates - I got houses and decor and all that to decorate a sim all year long with all the seasonal stuff....all ratings, too, plus tons of photo stuff^^)

 

With a premium membership, you also get a stipend of L$300 a month that can offset some of your Premium cost.  Other Premium perks are:  Ability to use Live Chat, ability to possibly get into full events, private sandboxes, use of a Linden Home if you don't want to buy mainland and the prims for the home itself do not count towards the 175, a few other misc places you can get to.

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

 

With a premium membership, you also get a stipend of L$300 a month that can offset some of your Premium cost.  Other Premium perks are:  Ability to use Live Chat, ability to possibly get into full events, private sandboxes, use of a Linden Home if you don't want to buy mainland and the prims for the home itself do not count towards the 175, a few other misc places you can get to.

 

It's L$300 a week :) and tyvm for adding that. I'd completely forgotten about the stipend.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Virtualnsanity said:

What's a stipend? A gift/allowance? Into your account every week? 

Yes - it's a reward for having a premium membership and you have it for the life of your membership. If you choose to cancel your membership at any time and go back to a basic account, then obviously you lose the stipend.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Virtualnsanity said:

What's a stipend? A gift/allowance? Into your account every week? 

The latter, yes.

Three hundred is the current stipend amount per week, at one point it was a bit more - mine is four hundred, many older accounts get five hundred.

Also counter to what some will tell you, at the time I signed up for Premium the stipend had already gone down to three hundred a week. It is not based on when you sign up for premium but when your account was created.

1 minute ago, Virtualnsanity said:

If so that's L$15600/year which would cost US$64 to buy at today's rate. So US$72 for a year premium seems a good deal!

Do take note that it can take a bit to sell your accumulated Linden Dollars and you may not always get what the fast buy system shows as market value. For at least the first year you will not be able to sell a year's worth of your stipend prior to your Premium bill coming due.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Haha. That will then pose a whole new series of questions like 

1) do i keep the linden home 

2) can you choose where your linden home is etc and what it looks like

3) do i do what anya did and offset the linden home against something of my own and use the L$300/week towards to rent/costs.

Decisions decisions 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Virtualnsanity said:

Haha. That will then pose a whole new series of questions like 

1) do i keep the linden home 

2) can you choose where your linden home is etc and what it looks like

3) do i do what anya did and offset the linden home against something of my own and use the L$300/week towards to rent/costs.

Decisions decisions 

You can choose the theme and type of Linden Home, yes. Sim location is arbitrary.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Solar Legion said:

The latter, yes.

Three hundred is the current stipend amount per week, at one point it was a bit more - mine is four hundred, many older accounts get five hundred.

Also counter to what some will tell you, at the time I signed up for Premium the stipend had already gone down to three hundred a week. It is not based on when you sign up for premium but when your account was created.

Do take note that it can take a bit to sell your accumulated Linden Dollars and you may not always get what the fast buy system shows as market value. For at least the first year you will not be able to sell a year's worth of your stipend prior to your Premium bill coming due.

Oh rest assured i won't be cashing any in they will all be spent in the MP lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Virtualnsanity said:

Oh rest assured i won't be cashing any in they will all be spent in the MP lol

That's actually why I have never gone beyond the monthly payment tier. I recall someone saying erroneously that it was $9.95 a month - it is $9.50. Not much of a distinction I know but still.

 

1 minute ago, Akasha Sternberg said:

YES!!!!!!! Hmmm that might be a  bit more for me ^^

Bear in mind that someone at Linden Lab may have wised up as well and finally gotten around to correcting this.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Solar Legion said:

That's actually why I have never gone beyond the monthly payment tier. I recall someone saying erroneously that it was $9.95 a month - it is $9.50. Not much of a distinction I know but still.

 

Bear in mind that someone at Linden Lab may have wised up as well and finally gotten around to correcting this.

DAmn I still spend too much xD tbh even 500 a week is making me say...mh...cute it´s a  start but I try to go after cheapies .

Mh they MIGHT... but then so many other things haven´t been corrected which would be just as necessary and never will be corrected so xD

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Akasha Sternberg said:

DAmn I still spend too much xD tbh even 500 a week is making me say...mh...cute it´s a  start but I try to go after cheapies .

Mh they MIGHT... but then so many other things haven´t been corrected which would be just as necessary and never will be corrected so xD

Well if they haven't then the Stipend ranges break down as follows:

  • Prior to July 20th 2006 gets you five hundred
  • Between July 21st and October 31st 2006 gets you four hundred
  • November 1st forward is three hundred.
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, AnyaJurelle said:
19 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

 

With a premium membership, you also get a stipend of L$300 a month...

 

It's L$300 a week :) and tyvm for adding that. I'd completely forgotten about the stipend.

Ooops - yeah, that was a bit of typo wasn't it  :$

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1308 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...