Do You Prefer Living On Mainland or a Private/Homestead Sim

Mitchell Indigo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2308 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Mitchell Indigo said:

To ChinRay:  That is the issue with living on the mainland.  You never know what people are going to build around you.

Yes, that is the problem with mainland. You can try your best to build something that fits in, that compliments what is already there, making everything look bigger and better. And next time you log on, somebody's bought a neighbour plot and put up something that shows no regard whatsoever to the work others have put into the area before them. It can be really frustrating at times.

But to me, building on an isolated private sim is completely pointless. If I want to build in splendid isolation, I can have as many sims I want for free on SoaS. (I can also have more free virtual land than I can ever manage to fill up at Sansar but it remains to be seen whether that will become an interesting option.) It may be different for people who depend on MP or inworld stores for their shopping but I make better landscape stuff than anybody else in SL and I'm not too concerned about having the latest fad in unrealistically realistic avatars. So to me an island parcel would only be a waste of money. It's mainland or nothing,

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 2

I prefer mainland.  I have rented from estates before - as recently as this past summer - and I've always ended up back on mainland.  I did sell off about half of my parcels last month, lowering my tier by over half, and still had 1 parcel up for sale, but I just cancelled the sale on that one this morning.  I'd been renting a smaller parcel on mainland while I had mine up for sale, but I missed not being adjacent to a road, so I'm moving back to the parcel I just cancelled the sale on :).  I don't mind the terraforming restrictions because I've found that I'm really bad at terraforming, so I try to keep what I do to a minimum of what's necessary for putting out a house and simple landscaping.  So far (knock on wood) I've been fairly lucky with what's been built around me, and I generally do not have a huge draw distance anyway, and have been lucky with being in areas where I do not have lag issues, and have felt that there is good performance.

For some reason, I feel isolated on estates - and the estates that have just water channels between parcels, or roads, didn't appeal me, either. I like the feeling I get, especially along a road, of being a part of a larger community.  For the most part, in many areas of mainland that I've visited, I've enjoyed the variety of builds and landscaping that I've seen, and have found the majority of them to be pleasant to look at.  When I am out exploring, I do stop in at stores I find along the way, so I do appreciate that some people still have their stores on mainland.   

Edited by moirakathleen
  • Like 2

On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 11:21 PM, LittleMe Jewell said:

I prefer Mainland for one primary reason -- I get my land directly from LL (yet I cannot afford a full estate) and therefore do not ever have to worry about something happening to my landlord and me suddenly being homeless. 

Yes, I have trust issues.

Bingo.

I've seen those estate owners and landlords, including some fairly prominent ones that have been around for a very long time, simply vanish without a word. Since then, if I want a location, I always pick a good sized mainland one.

1 hour ago, Richardus Raymaker said:

Not need to read much, it's just simple. You would choice for private sim. Mainland is just a chaotic look, you cannot edit terrain. The look around you is hard to control. And you have less control.

Except that you can indeed edit the terrain (terraform) and you do indeed have quite a bit of control in terms of parcel level controls, the only exceptions being Mainland rental properties.

User owned Estates can have just as chaotic an appearance and you have the same amount of control over how the rest of the sim looks as you would on Mainland which is to say that the only direct control you have begins and ends at your parcel borders. Do not like what your neighbor has built? Well tough; unless you are on a theme controlled sim/estate your only options are to ask your neighbor politely to change what they have built, move your own build into the sky or derender/blacklist your neighbor's build.

Furthermore there are even user owned estates that allow renters to sublet their parcels to others which only adds yet another layer between yourself and Linden Lab; I've been there and will not ever rent user estate land where I am unable to have the same level of control as directly owning Mainland would allow for; the fewer hands my Linden Dollars pass through the better.

Indeed the only things stopping me from being on Mainland are the bloody auction prices (no other way to acquire Mainland realistically) and the hassle of getting everyone that lives on my group owned estate parcel to move everything in a timely manner.

On 14.9.2017 at 5:21 AM, LittleMe Jewell said:

I prefer Mainland for one primary reason -- I get my land directly from LL (yet I cannot afford a full estate) and therefore do not ever have to worry about something happening to my landlord and me suddenly being homeless.

That is a good point but I really, really, really wouldn't recommend it to SL users in generak. It may work but the moment you have any problem of any kind, you're on your own with nobody to help you.

Edited by ChinRey

13 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

That is a good point but I really, really, really wouldn't recommend it to SL users in generak. It may work but the moment you have any problem of any kind, you're on your own with nobody to help you.

I've had the occasional blight nearby, but it never lasts.  Permanent derender works for me until the problem land flips again - and it always does.  The few misc other problems I've ever had on the sim, LL has responded promptly.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Solar Legion said:

Except that you can indeed edit the terrain (terraform) and you do indeed have quite a bit of control in terms of parcel level controls, the only exceptions being Mainland rental properties.

User owned Estates can have just as chaotic an appearance and you have the same amount of control over how the rest of the sim looks as you would on Mainland which is to say that the only direct control you have begins and ends at your parcel borders. Do not like what your neighbor has built? Well tough; unless you are on a theme controlled sim/estate your only options are to ask your neighbor politely to change what they have built, move your own build into the sky or derender/blacklist your neighbor's build.

Furthermore there are even user owned estates that allow renters to sublet their parcels to others which only adds yet another layer between yourself and Linden Lab; I've been there and will not ever rent user estate land where I am unable to have the same level of control as directly owning Mainland would allow for; the fewer hands my Linden Dollars pass through the better.

Indeed the only things stopping me from being on Mainland are the bloody auction prices (no other way to acquire Mainland realistically) and the hassle of getting everyone that lives on my group owned estate parcel to move everything in a timely manner.

Auctions aren't the only way to buy Mainland.  Most all of the mainland I have purchased has been from looking on the map with the show land for sale option turned on.  I can get an idea of the parcel size from the map, click on the $ icon on the map to see the price, and if both are in the range I'm looking for, TP out to see what the parcel looks like and what the neighborhood looks like.  The only time I've had to purchase through an auction was when I've put in a support ticket about buying abandoned land next to me, and LL's decision was to put it up for auction.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, moirakathleen said:

Auctions aren't the only way to buy Mainland.  Most all of the mainland I have purchased has been from looking on the map with the show land for sale option turned on.  I can get an idea of the parcel size from the map, click on the $ icon on the map to see the price, and if both are in the range I'm looking for, TP out to see what the parcel looks like and what the neighborhood looks like.  The only time I've had to purchase through an auction was when I've put in a support ticket about buying abandoned land next to me, and LL's decision was to put it up for auction.

That's nice and all but from both personal experience and having dug through posts here and elsewhere as well as talking to people directly, your experience is not exactly the norm.

It also does not help matters that you're talking about buying land from another user who has placed their parcel up for sale and I am talking about buying directly from Linden Lab.

2 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

That's nice and all but from both personal experience and having dug through posts here and elsewhere as well as talking to people directly, your experience is not exactly the norm.

It also does not help matters that you're talking about buying land from another user who has placed their parcel up for sale and I am talking about buying directly from Linden Lab.

That's cool.  I only mentioned it because not everyone is aware of using that method to find land to buy, and in some cases it can be less expensive then buying from auction (at the minimum, you know how much its going to cost you).  

At the end of the day, whether you buy mainland from another person, or from Linden Lab directly through auction, you're in the same place - owning a mainland parcel and paying tier directly to Linden Lab.

On 9/12/2017 at 9:23 PM, Mitchell Indigo said:

Do you prefer to live on a mainland sim/parcel or a private sim/parcel or homestead sim/parcel?

Why did you choose your decision?

My home is on a private parcel, but also own land in Bay City.  At the  time I was looking for a place to call home, I was not a Premium member and thus was not eligible to purchase land on the mainland.

6 hours ago, Solar Legion said:

As long as the purchase is Mainland, it makes no difference.  However if you purchase on a private estate then you are really renting from someone else.

• Like 1

The comments in this thread refer to estates as single regions ... I know of one that has 120 connected regions, another that has approximately 60. There are themed ones like Caledon. Groups of private regions aren't uncommon. It shouldn't be hard to meet new people on any of those. As for being safe to rent from, I've rented land from Anshe's company for 11 years. If she leaves SL, SL itself might be in trouble.

I had a mainland parcel for about two weeks in 2006. The area was full of junk. I flew along one of the mainland roads for a couple dozen regions a few weeks ago, and saw much of the same stuff I saw in 2006. I know there are nice areas on mainland, but it doesn't meet my needs. For one thing, I like building mountains.

8 hours ago, Parhelion Palou said:

The comments in this thread refer to estates as single regions ... I know of one that has 120 connected regions, another that has approximately 60. There are themed ones like Caledon. Groups of private regions aren't uncommon. It shouldn't be hard to meet new people on any of those. As for being safe to rent from, I've rented land from Anshe's company for 11 years. If she leaves SL, SL itself might be in trouble.

I had a mainland parcel for about two weeks in 2006. The area was full of junk. I flew along one of the mainland roads for a couple dozen regions a few weeks ago, and saw much of the same stuff I saw in 2006. I know there are nice areas on mainland, but it doesn't meet my needs. For one thing, I like building mountains.

I used to work for a place called Second Lifestyles Estates and the owner of that company would talk bad about Anshee.

On 9/14/2017 at 8:43 AM, Phil Deakins said:

The skies high up are the same as the skies on the ground - midday, sunrise, sunsets are all the same as on the ground. The difference is that you don't any horizon when you're high up.

But do you remember the "Classic Clouds?"

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Classic_clouds

On 17.9.2017 at 6:26 AM, Parhelion Palou said:

I know of one that has 120 connected regions

That's still less than my RL neighborhood - the area I cover with my daily walks. ;)

That is even ignoring the fact that compared to a RL place an SL sim's effective size is only half or less of it's nominal size.

@ Crim Mip .......it is possible to have a homestead sim without owning or buying a full sim . Of course you will not own it .........but you will be renting it with estate  managers  rights usually. There are many land estate agents in sl.  Many people do this in sl and often the tier fee can  be cheaper(or equivalent ) to  what you would pay to LL  if you purchased the sim from  them  .....

• 2 weeks later...

I've always had good things to say about both. Though the real question is are you going to rent or own? If you're looking to buy mainland from LL by all means I would say have at it. Mainland does however tend to have some undesirable neighbors and some questionable design options from neighbors. Estate you'll have more control over the land, no matter if you rent or buy it yourself. The cost to buy estate yourself is going to be expensive though.

Like Bree, I also rent on a private estate and quite happy there. I can't say I'd ever be against living on mainland, but then again I've not given it a ton of thought over the years.

The great thing is that the option is there, and people can live where they choose too.

Edited by Chase01
  • Like 2

At this stage, I prefer Mainland. Don't really fancy paying someone else big L$ bucks every week just to limit what I can and can't put on my parcel. I found a sweet Mainland water area with unblockable views at the front - and I de-rendered the very few neighbours next to/behind me.

To me, it looks like I have a wee little island paradise all to myself - and that's good enough for me :)

• Like 3

11 hours ago, AnyaJurelle said:

<snip>   and I de-rendered the very few neighbours next to/behind me.

To me, it looks like I have a wee little island paradise all to myself - and that's good enough for me :)

This ^^

I don't have people over to my place much and since I can do a permanent derender of anything around me, it is easy enough to deal with anything I consider obnoxious.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2308 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.