broken inventory

Ono Darkfire

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2570 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Yes for some reason more than 90% of my inventory I can not access. the little arrow that usually before the folder have suddenly gone missing . This is for MOST of my folders, not ALL of them. There is also a problem with teleportation links. Yester was fine, now it seems completely blank! And the folder I do access, I am Missing 90% OR MORE of the content! What is going on?

4 answers to this question

Exactly the right thing to do.  If that happens to you often, take a very careful look at how your inventory is structured. When you log in, the LL servers download your inventory and refresh the inventory cache on your computer.  If you have inventory folders with more than a few hundred items in them, they can slow down the process so that it times out before completing. The solution is to create subfolders that have no more than a couple hundred items each -- so, your Objects folder might have 30 or 40 subfolders with vehicles, furniture, lawn ornaments, toys, weapons, .... in it. The smaller folders will load faster and you won't risk a timeout.

• Like 1

I agree with Rolig on the inventory structure. I disagree on the numbers.

from what I've seen the MAXIMUM number of items you can have in a folder depends on your connection and the server load at the moment you log in.

At one point in SL History people with 5,000+/- items in a folder were having problems logging in. The Lindens wrote a script that support uses to move those items in smaller groups into  subfolders. So, we know the upper limit is around 5k. 

Rolig's advice to keep it to a few hundred items per folder is my practice and I think a good idea. But, having a thousand or two in a folder with a decent connection should not be a problem. And there are places where that is necessary. Builders with thousands of textures have cause to have large numbers of items in a folder.

34 minutes ago, Nalates Urriah said:

Rolig's advice to keep it to a few hundred items per folder is my practice and I think a good idea

Yeah, I tend to be more cautious than I may need to be.  As a creator, I am paranoid about losing things that I have spent hours or days working on, so I opt for the safest end of any limiting window.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2570 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.