Shared media on multiple prims

DeeQue

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2501 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Good Afternoon.

I'm a beginner scripter, so apologies for if this is a dumb question:

I've setup a classroom with a few student displays, and one teacher / master display. The idea is for the teacher to 'drive' the process and each student to have their own non-interactive display as they follow along. Students don't need controls and the displays don't need to be 100% in sync. The contents will be fairly simple HTML (more along the lines of a power-point presentation).

The idea is that when the Teacher browses to a page all the student machines follow suite. Again - sync delays of a few seconds are ok.

I've looked at using llGetPrimMediaParams to read the teacher's URL and then llSetLinkMedia to push the URL to the student machines.

So on to my question; How can I trigger an update only when / if there's a change to the teacher's machine? I want the script to be as efficient as possible, so a timed loop seems like a bad idea. Is there a media change / update event I can use?

Any other (better) way of doing this? Am I on the right track?

regards

DQ

Is it really important that it use Shared Media? because old-school parcel media will be a lot more efficient, although it won't support the webpage-like navigation that Shared Media does. Simply paging from one slide to the next is pretty easy, though, and would automatically be visible on every surface that shares the parcel media texture.

If you do decide to use several linked Shared Media surfaces... well, test that with slow connections, low-performance machines, and content of representative complexity before committing to the approach. (For one exhibit I abandoned that approach because after adding a few complex Shared Media displays, viewers slowed and eventually stalled under the load.)

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2501 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.