how do i get married in SL

Ladyhawk Vollmar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2414 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

2 answers to this question

You don't, at least not in any formal way.  You can pretend to get married -- complete with a gown, a bouquet, a church, and a cake -- but it's all make-believe.  If you want to do something that feels a little more official, you can try partnering with someone.  Study the simple discussion in the Knowledge Base at

It will cost you each L$10 to partner (and another L$25 to separate, if you ever want to do that).  All that partnership gets you is a way to put your partner's name on your profile (and vice versa).  It doesn't give you any special privileges or discounts, but it can certainly make you feel special.

Edited by Rolig Loon

While Rolig is right, her reply might seem a bit confusing.

There are two parts to "getting married", and depending on the preferences of you and your beloved, you can do either one, or both...or neither, and just shack up together.

The more official part is "partnering".  Read the article Rolig pointed you to.  When you are partnered with someone, their name appears in your Profile as your partner.  While most people use partnering to indicate a long term emotional relationship (a "marriage") some people use it to indicate a business partnership.

The less official, but more involved part is a wedding.  Note that weddings in Second Life have no legal or religious significance...but they CAN have great emotional significance for the participants.  You can have as simple or as elaborate a wedding as you wish...invitations, a fancy dress, bridesmaids, groomsmen, an officiant, vows, an exchange of rings, a photographer, a cake, a reception...you name it, you can have it.  There are wedding planners who you can hire to help organize the big day.

Personally, I am not a fan of formal weddings.  In my experience, the bigger and more elaborate the wedding, the shorter the partnership.  The shortest one I'm aware of is the one where the bride caught the groom fooling around with the maid of honor a few hours after the reception.  Boom, instant divorce.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2414 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.