Can't add paypal, isn't verified with a bank account?

JakeCWolf

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2420 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

So since I last bought any L$ I switched banks and got a whole new bank card, but I still use the same Paypal I did prior. I removed my old Paypal and added my new one, just to get this error: "To use your PayPal account with Second Life, it must be verified with a bank account". My Paypal is linked to my bank account and my credit (bank via) card. All my billing information is up to date and it's still giving me this error. This must get asked often, but I just don't know where to look for the answer. How do I fix this so I can buy L$ with my Paypal account?

Edited by JakeCWolf
added tags

5 answers to this question

You may verify your PayPal account by linking to your checking account at your bank, but not to a debit card.  Debit cards and prepaid cards were once acceptable years ago, but not for the past couple of years, so if you changed your account in any way, you are now subject to the current rules.   If you link to your bank account, you must still maintain a cash balance in your PayPal account, because banks cannot transfer cash rapidly enough to satisfy the instant transfer demands of Linden Lab's credit processor.  So, once you do get your PayPal account set up, be sure that it has a $$ balance before you buy L$ in the LindeX.

If you have a non-technical issue related to billing concerns, you can call the Linden Lab billing team at the following toll-free number:

US/Canada: 800-294-1067

As long as PayPal can verify your checking account as a backup funding source, they will report your account to Linden Lab as "verified". Verification is purely a matter between you, the bank, and PayPal. Once the account is verified, Linden Lab is satisfied that PayPal will make good on any purchases you make.  The business about maintaining a cash balance in the PayPal account has to do with instant transfer, as I explained before. Linden Lab's credit processor expects to receive payment within seconds.  If your PayPal account already has enough cash in it, that's easy.  If PayPal has to turn around and ask your bank to send it money first, Linden Lab won't wait, and the transaction won't go through. So, in a nutshell, your PayPal account must be (1) verified and (2) capable of making instant transfers. It sounds like you may have satisfied the first criterion.  Maintaining a cash balance in PayPal should satisfy the second.  Again, if you have further questions, I suggest calling the Linden Lab billing office.

So if I transfer X dollars to my Paypal balance and then try to link my Paypal and SL accounts it will work? That's the problem I am having at the moment. Also my card is a Visa Bank card issued by my bank, I use it via Paypal to buy things all the time without issue.

1 hour ago, JakeCWolf said:

So if I transfer X dollars to my Paypal balance and then try to link my Paypal and SL accounts it will work? That's the problem I am having at the moment. Also my card is a Visa Bank card issued by my bank, I use it via Paypal to buy things all the time without issue.

The Visa Bank card is not considered a credit card for LL.  Paypal also needs your checking account linked to it.  And then you'll need that verified -- where paypal makes a couple of bank transactions to confirm everything.  After all of that is done, then LL should accept it.

3 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

The Visa Bank card is not considered a credit card for LL.  Paypal also needs your checking account linked to it.  And then you'll need that verified -- where paypal makes a couple of bank transactions to confirm everything.  After all of that is done, then LL should accept it.

Okay I wasn't aware there was a difference between a card and account, I assumed the former linked to the other making the distinction moot. You learn something everyday I guess! Thank you for all your help.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2420 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.