Post moderating/editing/moving

Kaliope Karas

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1949 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm trying to find out where to contact someone in regards to a post I made that was removed/edited.

I made my first post on the "Role Play" forums.  We've opened a role play sim and I wanted to let people know about it.  It got moderated and moved to "destinations" forum.  We aren't a destination, we are strictly IC for role play--with a theme, genre, etc.  

So yes, I made a new post for the sim in the "Role Play" forum.  This time I did not include a SLURL, but a link to the roleplay website instead.  I got a warning for spamming.  

I wanted to talk to someone about it, but I can't find support for this forum.  I don't want my post in destinations.  I want it in Role Play.  I thought at first it got moved because it included a SLURL (I can't find criteria anywhere to what constitutes a "role play" worthy post, or what makes it "destination"),  so I left it out the second time.

Feed back or help is much appreciated

If you are promoting a destination, it goes in the Destination forum.  Simple.  It does not matter if there is a link or not. It does not matter what type of destination it is.

1 hour ago, Kaliope Karas said:

I don't want my post in destinations.  I want it in Role Play.

We don't want your ads in Role Play, the belong in Destinations.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

If you are promoting a destination, it goes in the Destination forum.  Simple.  It does not matter if there is a link or not. It does not matter what type of destination it is.

We don't want your ads in Role Play, the belong in Destinations.

I don't see how letting people know of a new role play environment and inviting them to come play is an "ad".  I'm not selling anything, I'm not charging an entry fee, rentals are available but not a requirement to play.

People solicit roleplay on this forum all the time  "seeking rp'r for...",  "looking to start a new sim and need... ".  I don't see the difference.  I'm offering role play opportunities.

• Moderators

Greetings!

The Roleplay forum is for discussions about Roleplaying in Second Life.

Advertising on the Second Life forums is not allowed, unless the forum is specifically set up for advertising.  

If you wish to advertise general information about your in world location, then the correct category for the post is the Favorite Destinations Forum since you are posting information about your Favorite Destination.

Please review the Second Life Community Participation Guidelines, located here:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Community_Participation_Guidelines

This link is also available on the right side of the main forums page for convenience. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Kaliope Karas said:

People solicit roleplay on this forum all the time  "seeking rp'r for...",  "looking to start a new sim and need... ".  I don't see the difference.

It looks like most of "new sim" posts are being moved as well.  On the other hand, people looking for roles or players is part of what that forum is about.  I can't say why on new sim opening post is moved and another is not but re-posting a moderated post is a big no-no on any forum.  Rather than reword it, rethink it.

Also, my sincere wish for the best of luck with your RP world.  It is a big risk of time, money and effort all so other people can have fun but all to often ... crickets and ghosts.

Well.  I hope you are rewarded for you efforts.

6 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

It looks like most of "new sim" posts are being moved as well.  On the other hand, people looking for roles or players is part of what that forum is about.  I can't say why on new sim opening post is moved and another is not but re-posting a moderated post is a big no-no on any forum.  Rather than reword it, rethink it.

Also, my sincere wish for the best of luck with your RP world.  It is a big risk of time, money and effort all so other people can have fun but all to often ... crickets and ghosts.

Well.  I hope you are rewarded for you efforts.

Thank you.   There are MANY posts showcasing rp environments on that thread some from this month.  I didn't think I was doing anything wrong with making my post there.  

It did seem weird that it was removed considering I can count six other sims advertising at a glance from this past month alone.  There are even more duplicate posts from their sims advertising various services offered etc, personally I don't see why these types of posts wouldn't be there considering the majority of posts on that forum are people seeking RP places, it's rare that a general discussion about role playing ever pops up that isn't related to any sim in particular. 

Edited by Pauleh
Removed some links.

While not a RP gal this is an interesting question. Since we can't see what you posted, we can't really give any advice and Dakota put in the rules there for you. "I" thought that maybe the moderators were moving things around in general as the forums do morph and change now and then. 

So I went over to look through the RP forum since I was pretty sure that there USED to be plenty of "come visit our RP sim" posts.  I didn't see many but this one is still there.  I am wondering why it made the cut and the others didn't. 

To me, it definitely should be in Destinations and it is indeed in the official Destination Guide.  I visited awhile back and it seemed much more like a sales venue than a RP place. Definitely interesting and possibly "of interest" to RP folks, but .....

Ideas?   

1 hour ago, Chic Aeon said:

While not a RP gal this is an interesting question. Since we can't see what you posted, we can't really give any advice and Dakota put in the rules there for you. "I" thought that maybe the moderators were moving things around in general as the forums do morph and change now and then. 

So I went over to look through the RP forum since I was pretty sure that there USED to be plenty of "come visit our RP sim" posts.  I didn't see many but this one is still there.  I am wondering why it made the cut and the others didn't. 

To me, it definitely should be in Destinations and it is indeed in the official Destination Guide.  I visited awhile back and it seemed much more like a sales venue than a RP place. Definitely interesting and possibly "of interest" to RP folks, but .....

Ideas?   

I'm honestly not sure, going back through the various pages of posts there are a number of roleplaying groups advertising their sims, not to mention a few posts of people looking for others to put up funds to start RP sims.

If anything there needs to be a sticky topic in the roleplaying forum that says if you are looking for roleplaying sims or wanting to advertise them then please visit the favorite destination section and be sure to use a roleplay tag for the post.

That was certainly true of the last bunch of mods. They weren't LL people and they didn't give a monkey's about moderating. All they did was react to reports by removing the posts rather than actually read them to see if the report was justified. And the current crop of mods also respond to reports, but I believe they actually look at whether or not the report is justified.

In this case, juding by Dakota's post, I can see no reason why Jo Yardley's advertisement is still there when the OP's isn't, except that nobody reported it, which I believe is the point you were making, Pam. Jo's is solely advertising, without any pretense of discussion whatsoever.

Edited by Phil Deakins

To reiterate, 

I made a post about our ROLE PLAY sim and posted it in the Role Play forum.   I didn't see an issue since there are many posts about role play sims on that particular forum (not just Jo Yardley's).  It is about roleplay.  It is not a shopping sim, or a photography sim, a club, or an "ooc hangout" sim, but a place with a background story, story line, and completely "in character"--so, Role Play.  

My post was moved to a "destinations" forum and I wasn't told it was being moved or why.  It simply wasn't there, and I didn't find it until after I went to the list of my posts that I could see that it hadn't been removed but moved, and where it was moved to.  I also want to point out that there are no guidelines for what is considered acceptable for the Role Play forum, or what makes one post okay for Role Play and what makes it into a "destination" post.  My post was neither "off-topic" nor did it violate any other rules.  Rhonda noted that "they" (she used the word "we"), didn't want my "ad" in Role Play.  However, when looking for a new location or community to join to Role Play, I certainly do not go to the "destinations" forum, neither do any of the people I asked.  WE go to the "Role Play" forum.

The guidelines ( http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Community_Participation_Guidelines ) state that: 

"Spamming, Solicitation and Advertising: Spamming is not allowed. This includes aggressive self-promotion. No advertising or promotion of specific Second Life merchants, Marketplace listings, products, or services, unless the forum area is specifically for the buying or selling of Second Life products or services, for example, a “for sale” or “wanted” forum. Do not reference other websites offering any product or service."

I'm not selling a product, I'm not looking to buy.  I'm not asking anyone for money.  I'm not offering products or services.  I'm certainly not advertising or promoting "specific Second Life merchants, Marketplace listings, products, or services"   It might be an advertisement, but not for product or any of those things listed.  It is for role play, to let others know that there are new role play opportunities.   Not a destination.  I agree that my second post could be considered "spam" since I had two posts about the same thing, but I only wanted to make sure that my post about "Role Play" was in the appropriate forum.

So then I wonder if I had posted about my role play group, seeking police or fire department or hospital staff?  Would that had been considered appropriate?  What would "we" consider valid to post on the roleplay forum?   If I were a person seeking police role play and posted "does anyone know a good place... " and someone responded with a link to their own sim, would that be advertisement and subject to removal?

Just askin... for a friend.

36 minutes ago, Kaliope Karas said:

So then I wonder if I had posted about my role play group, seeking police or fire department or hospital staff?  Would that had been considered appropriate?  What would "we" consider valid to post on the roleplay forum?   If I were a person seeking police role play and posted "does anyone know a good place... " and someone responded with a link to their own sim, would that be advertisement and subject to removal?

Just askin... for a friend.

I can only respond to this last part and only based on previous threads.

I do not think you are allowed to say 'Hey, we've got this new sim for RP, come check it out".  Yes, there are some of those, but I think they generally are not allowed.

However you can say "We need people for these specific RP positions. Come to blah-blah or contact me".

Finally, as to whether us providing someone with specific links to a RP sim is okay or not - I'm honestly never sure of the rules around that because we do sometimes post links to places and give specific store names in answer to some questions.  However, usually in those situations, many of us play it safe and Message the person to give specifics.

@Kaliope Karas  Dakota provided a link to your question which clearly states on that page:

Abuse of Moderation or Moderators: Please honor our moderation process and the decisions that come out of it; they are being made in order to provide you with a productive environment for conversations about Second Life. We prohibit abuse of our moderation process, including the following:

• Posts that discuss or re-post material that has been removed or locked by a moderator
  • Posts questioning a moderator’s decision

If you are in doubt of a decision concerning a thread , it is best to goto that thread and use the 'Report post' feature to address such concern.

Posting a new thread about moderator decisions will simply get that thread locked or removed in most cases, whereas such topic is not up for discussion on open forums.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hunter Stern said:

Posting a new thread about moderator decisions will simply get that thread locked or removed in most cases, whereas such topic is not up for discussion on open forums.

You have to learn how to use veiled references, insinuations, and innuendos. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

It seems that nobody wants to tell us why Jo Yardley should be treated any differently than the rest of us, so I've just reported her advertisement in the role play sub-forum. We'll see if anything comes of it. It would get right up my nose if her advertisment stays while the OP's advertisment had to go.

I linked to this thread, and I also stated that the consensus here is that role play ads belong in the role play sub-forum, for the obvious reasons that have been stated here.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Phil Deakins said:

It seems that nobody wants to tell us why Jo Yardley should be treated any differently than the rest of us, so I've just reported her advertisement in the role play sub-forum. We'll see if anything comes of it. It would get right up my nose if her advertisment stays while the OP's advertisment had to go.

I linked to this thread, and I also stated that the consensus here is that role play ads belong in the role play sub-forum, for the obvious reasons that have been stated here.

Did you not get the memo? We always have an annual "No Picking On Jo" day :ph34r:

If it's a matter of fair and equal treatment.

We still can't figure out why such things occur like, post counts that carried over for some people and not for others. It was most likely a fluke at best.

Basically there is NO consensus. It is the moderators judgement call. Period.

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 9/8/2017 at 2:20 PM, Kaliope Karas said:

So then I wonder if I had posted about my role play group, seeking police or fire department or hospital staff?  Would that had been considered appropriate?

That would belong in Inworld Employment.

If I were a person seeking police role play and posted "does anyone know a good place... " and someone responded with a link to their own sim, would that be advertisement and subject to removal?

Probably not, but it depends on the post. A friendly recommendation is generally very clearly differentiated from an overt advertisement.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1949 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.