Post moderating/editing/moving

Kaliope Karas

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1974 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just a head's up... Jo Yardley's advertisement post in the Role Play sub-forum has now been moved to the destinations sub-forum - just like the OP's post. So there's no favouritism, at least as far as Jo Yardley is concerned, and it does appear that what Pam  alluded to was correct - that the OP's post was moved because it had been reported, and that Jo Yardley's post wasn't moved because nobody reported it - until yesterday, that is :)  So we have equality.

• Like 3

• Moderators
58 minutes ago, Callum Meriman said:

O_O Surely asking for roleplayers to fill an unpaid roleplaying position as a firefighter is not inworld employment O_O

That would not, no, but you would need to be explicitly clear that you are seeking unpaid, volunteer roleplayers, not paid employees.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jagix Linden said:

That would not, no, but you would need to be explicitly clear that you are seeking unpaid, volunteer roleplayers, not paid employees.

Wouldn't you just assume that if someone is asking in the role play group, that they are not offering paid employment?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jagix Linden said:

That would belong in Inworld Employment.

Probably not, but it depends on the post. A friendly recommendation is generally very clearly differentiated from an overt advertisement.

Would it not be possible to just get a sub forum added to the role playing section for advertising.  Be it sharing a sim (favorite destinations) or seeking staff for IC positions (in-world hiring) the very core of it is for role play.

• Like 2

What a great idea! I could post ads about roleplaying as a shopper in my store :D

J/k. I actually do think that roleplaying places belong in that forum as long as it doesn't become an advertising frenzy. I think it would be worth at least giving it a try to see how it pans out. But I do recognise that ads could easily swamp actual roleplaying discussions, which is probably why they aren't allowed there. In fact, as I think about it, I've changed my mind while I've been typing this.

Think of it this way. People want to keep their roleplaying places in the public eye, which is what ads do. People tend to look after number 1, so many of the roleplaying places would put an ad in, or at least bump their ad, each week, for instance, or maybe every few days, and in no time at all, genuine discussions are swamped out of it. Yep, I think it's better to keep ads out of discussion forums.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

What a great idea! I could post ads about roleplaying as a shopper in my store :D

I have wanted to type that all through this thread but held back for fear of being called a troll again.  Yeah I am too sensitive sometimes :D  Sometimes.

• Like 1

There really isn't much 'role play' discussion going on in the role playing section, and the few times it does it tends to turn into a mud slinging contest (normally topics concerning para vs single line, typing speed etc).  The majority of posts if you go through each page is someone either advertising a place, seeking a place or looking to start a place.

The RP forum should definitely allow people to come saying they need various type of RP people for their RP location - those are never paid positions, so the Employment forum totally does not apply. 

People should also be able to come say 'Hey, I'm a wolf/firefighter/whatever' and I'm looking for a place to RP'. 

I personally don't have a problem with "We've opened this new RP sim, come and see it".  We've seen those in the past and they haven't taken over the forum.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Pauleh said:

There really isn't much 'role play' discussion going on in the role playing section, and the few times it does it tends to turn into a mud slinging contest (normally topics concerning para vs single line, typing speed etc).  The majority of posts if you go through each page is someone either advertising a place, seeking a place or looking to start a place.

Posting to seek a place or looking to start a place is discussion, not advertising.

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

The RP forum should definitely allow people to come saying they need various type of RP people for their RP location - those are never paid positions, so the Employment forum totally does not apply. 

People should also be able to come say 'Hey, I'm a wolf/firefighter/whatever' and I'm looking for a place to RP'. 

I personally don't have a problem with "We've opened this new RP sim, come and see it".  We've seen those in the past and they haven't taken over the forum.

I agree with the first two paragraphs, but the 3rd one is advertising. I wouldn't have a problem with that either, provided that the ads don't swamp the rest. Then again, I don't have problem with anything in that sub-forum, because I never roleplay so none of it is of any interest to me :)

On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 3:14 PM, Phil Deakins said:

But there is a consensus - often. It doesn't carry the day because there's nothing that we can do, but it's still a consensus.

In this case, it's not really a consensus, but it's what a few poeple have said, and without any objections. I feels like a consensus :)

So far it appears that while stating assumptions as (presumably) known data is fine, some are not necessarily comfortable with going on and stating demonstrable reasons to support those stated assumptions. That's not a technique I prefer.

Seems to me that casting aspersions (for want of a better description) in a shared forum such as this is a two-part process:

A. One makes the statement suggesting this or that.

B. (Waiting for comment/rebuttal if needed) One uses independently verifiable examples to defend the statement.

If 'B' is not in your plan, you should forego 'A'. You'd just be blowin' smoke.

LOL. I was in such as big hurry to write my post I failed to read Page 2 in which the Post of Contention was removed, thus (I suppose) relieving all and sundry from answering Phil's (and my) question.

As my personal consolation I'm taking a fire-hardened wooden spear (the tip of which has been quite well rounded off so as to be far less than lethal) and hurling it straight at Phil so he can demonstrate his impenetrable rhino hide. Hope he wasn't bluffing; that thing will leave a heck of a bruise.

Lol. Maybe my skin isn't quite as think as I thought. I have quite an ugly bruise now but, fortunately, your aim was perfect and the spear only hit my upper arm. I'm tempted to take a pic of it and post it here. Maybe later.

[ I really do have an ugly bruise on my upper arm, and I really am tempted to post a pic of it following your post. I ran towards the net for a tennis ball that I could maybe get to, but I ran too fast and I couldn't stop in time. The net cord really dug into both arms and face. Luckily it didn't leave a mark around my face but both arms got bruised, the left much worse than the right. ]

• Like 1

I've thought about this alot over the past 24 hours. And it's hard enough for kittens to concetrate as it is.

RP Destinations do need to be seperated from normal destinations due to the very real Visitor/OOC issue. Putting them in destinations is bad for two reasons, I believe:

• You are going to get people with flickr accounts or muddy boots stomping through and not understanding things like Visitor Tags.
  • You are hiding sims that people create specifically with dreams of roleplay in with clubs, shops and other such places.

Additionally I think that requiring an explicit statement it's a volunter fire fighting role needs re-consideration, it chould be an unstated given that *all* RP roles are unpaid.

Respectfully to the Lindens, sim ads need to be a subforum of roleplay please.

Respectfully to the Lindens, role requests (we need Drow/Firefighters/Kajira/Ferals/Police/Doctors) are just that, they are ROLEPLAY role requests. No-one should be in any confusion about a wage (there isn't one outside of maybe roleplay "chickens-in-kind" from the chief spanish inquisitor). The ones that would go into employment would be officer and sim security.

Edited by Callum Meriman
  • Like 6

• Administrators

Whew, that was a lot to read! Let me see if I can clear some things up for you all.

First, while we would love to be able to read every single post ever made on the forums, realistically, it's just not possible (you all post a LOT, which is FANTASTIC!), so while we do randomly read as many posts as we can, to try and stay involved in the community we also very much rely on your reports to point us towards something that needs our attention. So in that regard, help us, help you.

As for people seeking someone to fill a role request, I will clarify with our team, that they do not need to explicitly state that it is volunteer only, that should be an automatic assumption for that sub-forum. Even though assuming is the mother of all....apples (btw, have you tried the new apple pie oreos, they are amazing!).

And last, at this time we are not going to create a sub-category for those that wish to advertise their region, even if it is a role-playing region, like all other region types, they must go in designated and correct category, which is ..drum roll please.. Favorite Destinations. We don't give special sub-categories for those wanting to post their photography locations, club locations, museums and parks, etc. so we will not do that for the role-playing ones either at this time.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

On 9/12/2017 at 8:39 PM, Tommy Linden said:

Whew, that was a lot to read! Let me see if I can clear some things up for you all.

First, while we would love to be able to read every single post ever made on the forums, realistically, it's just not possible (you all post a LOT, which is FANTASTIC!), so while we do randomly read as many posts as we can, to try and stay involved in the community we also very much rely on your reports to point us towards something that needs our attention. So in that regard, help us, help you.

As for people seeking someone to fill a role request, I will clarify with our team, that they do not need to explicitly state that it is volunteer only, that should be an automatic assumption for that sub-forum. Even though assuming is the mother of all....apples (btw, have you tried the new apple pie oreos, they are amazing!).

And last, at this time we are not going to create a sub-category for those that wish to advertise their region, even if it is a role-playing region, like all other region types, they must go in designated and correct category, which is ..drum roll please.. Favorite Destinations. We don't give special sub-categories for those wanting to post their photography locations, club locations, museums and parks, etc. so we will not do that for the role-playing ones either at this time.

First of all, thank you for replying, and thank you for the overall clarification that roleplay roles don't need to go into the "employment" section of the forums.

That would have been not only cumbersome but double confusing. I've already seen people show up on roleplay sims and wonder how much L$ they are going to earn roleplaying a barista/bartender/firefighter etc.

As it comes to advertising roleplay sims, why not allow roleplay places to be mentioned in.... the roleplay forum? It's perfectly logical, roleplayers are looking for other roleplayers, and roleplay sims to play in. It's a mutually beneficial endeavor to show available roleplay sims where roleplayers gather.

If Museums, Clubs and parks had their own subforums, it would make sense that such destinations would get highlighted there too!

In the end, it also comes down to if "look at our rp location" types of posts will go away, with this form of moderation? The answer to that is no... They will only need to be rewritten to be masked into " We need X type players" instead. All sims need players, of many kinds, so it's not hard to ask for certain roles to be filled, when actually meaning "come see our sim, maybe it fits you." So that type of moderation/moving posts is a task not needing to be done, as it only shifts the content of the threads minimally to stay within rules. Tasks that don't fill a purpose is time spent away from doing tasks that need to get done!

I would propose rather that having opened a new roleplay sim warrants a shoutout post in the roleplay forums. Anniversaries and rebuilds too.

It's the repeated harping about one and the same sim that needs to be moderated out, for everyone's sake.

Edited to add:

I came across this thread while looking in the Roleplay forum for new Roleplay places. This is where i've always looked for new active roleplay spots. It's not like the inworld seach will help, and destinations in general showcase a ton of places that have already shut down.

It was a little shocking actually to discover that promoting new roleplay places in the roleplay forum was shunned. I wouldn't even think to look in Favorite Destinations. I mean, there's a roleplay forum, roleplay related things go there... you catch my drift.

Edited by Lexbot Sinister
  • Like 5

• 1 year later...

I obviously should get special treatment because I'm amazing, brilliant, witty, gorgeous, the ruler of historical sims and also very modest.
My mother says so, so it is true.

Seriously though, I wish I did, I often get told people think I get special treatment but unfortunately for me that isn't quite true.

I do get a little extra attention from LL because I am a blogger who's post they read, they follow me on social media, do a podcat with Draxtor, had a chat with a few lindens once and have a linden living in my sim.

So when  I cry about something, the odds of Lindens hearing it is a little higher.

But that doesn't mean it works.

I've been asking about 24 hour day cycles for years... ;)

Anyway, unfortunately my power, fame and huge pile of blackmail material doesn't help me when I break the rules here on the forum.

I did, my post got moved, that's the way it should be :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jo Yardley said:

I obviously should get special treatment because I'm amazing, brilliant, witty, gorgeous, the ruler of historical sims and also very modest.
My mother says so, so it is true.

Seriously though, I wish I did, I often get told people think I get special treatment but unfortunately for me that isn't quite true.

I do get a little extra attention from LL because I am a blogger who's post they read, they follow me on social media, do a podcat with Draxtor, had a chat with a few lindens once and have a linden living in my sim.

So when  I cry about something, the odds of Lindens hearing it is a little higher.

But that doesn't mean it works.

I've been asking about 24 hour day cycles for years... ;)

Anyway, unfortunately my power, fame and huge pile of blackmail material doesn't help me when I break the rules here on the forum.

I did, my post got moved, that's the way it should be :)

Go forth, and sin no more!

• Like 1

On 9/8/2017 at 2:20 PM, Kaliope Karas said:

I'm not selling a product, I'm not looking to buy.  I'm not asking anyone for money.  I'm not offering products or services.  I'm certainly not advertising or promoting "specific Second Life merchants, Marketplace listings, products, or services"   It might be an advertisement, but not for product or any of those things listed.  It is for role play, to let others know that there are new role play opportunities.   Not a destination.  I agree that my second post could be considered "spam" since I had two posts about the same thing, but I only wanted to make sure that my post about "Role Play" was in the appropriate forum.

So then I wonder if I had posted about my role play group, seeking police or fire department or hospital staff?  Would that had been considered appropriate?  What would "we" consider valid to post on the roleplay forum?   If I were a person seeking police role play and posted "does anyone know a good place... " and someone responded with a link to their own sim, would that be advertisement and subject to removal?

Providing a place to roleplay can be considered providing a service. A a service is a transaction in which no physical goods are transferred.

Yes, to the first two questions. No, to the last question.

ETA: Thanks for the necro Jo.  :P

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1974 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.