Nutria2016

Guide on baking textures for glass objects? (Blender)

How do people bake realistic glass textures for glass objects such as wine glasses and bottles? I tried creating a blue tinted glass vase using the Glass and Transparency shaders in Blender, and exported the baked texture.

This is the result in Blender. The left one is set to 1% transparency, and the right to no transparency.

59b21502794bd_glasssecondlife.thumb.JPG.a998a76b9d9cc6e8009182741d003f92.JPG

As you can see on the left, the transparency makes the vase look as it has been cut in half, showing you the inside of the vase but not also the outside of where the camera is pointing.

Here's an example of the result I'm trying to go for.

59b21668a9fae_glasssecondlife2.JPG.7d31cb7606e09312c2e31120c0b3ee94.JPG

Any tips?

Some time back, @Drongle McMahon had a long and very informative thread about how to use materials to create realistic glass in SL. Unfortunately, I did not bookmark it and can't find it with a search.  If we're lucky, though, he will wander back through here and reprise it.

44 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Some time back, @Drongle McMahon had a long and very informative thread about how to use materials to create realistic glass in SL. Unfortunately, I did not bookmark it and can't find it with a search.  If we're lucky, though, he will wander back through here and reprise it.

I think you mean this thread.

Sadly it's not what I need. I'd like the glass to also look nice without the ALM enabled by using baked textures. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Edited by Nutria2016

8 hours ago, Nutria2016 said:

I'd like the glass to also look nice without the ALM enabled by using baked textures.

I doubt that's likely to be as effective, but maybe Aquila or Drongle or one of the other wizardly people have an idea. Good luck.