Things That Fall on Avatar's Head

Prokofy Neva

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2358 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This is way harder to find than you think.

I had a vision of an avatar walking along a path and then all of a sudden pinecones fall on his head. Or he's in the desert, and stones or hail fall on his head.

It turns out this nearly doesn't exist. One problem is that if you made such an object, it would produce a lot of temp-on-rez items that then sometimes give error messages on sims if they go off sim or collide.

I do have a weather machine that produces hail that works pretty well if I center it right so that it doesn't start giving me "Your objects..." messages. But that is 'always on' if I turn it on, it is not triggered by an avatar's walk.

But i was hoping for a prankster sort of thing where the avatar steps on something and something falls on him. The only thing I've found like that is a chair you sit on, and a pot of flowers falls on your head and breaks. That's great -- but you have to sit.

Something that asks your permission first sort of undoes the point, but maybe there is an "Experience" that can be put in the land, and then things fall on you?

I have another trap door sort of thing that when you step on it, a monster pops out. So things like that would also be useful but I'm still in a quest for the falling-on-head thing.

BTW I found a store some years ago still in existence that has great pranks like "fall on a banana peel" or "break window" and I'm going to ask them if they could make this but I guess it's hard to make.

To make a script which would support temp-on-rez objects falling on a stationary avatar is rather trivial, however if an avatar is moving (walking, etc) it becomes much harder. That's probably why the one you found requires the avatar to sit on an object. To make a script that sends temp objects right on a moving avatar's head would involve calculating where the avatar would be by the time the object is rezzed and falls down from its rezzing position. So need to know avatar's moving speed, direction, falling object's approximate rezzing time (which varies in depending on a sim lag) and a few other things. From the top of my head I don't even know how to get all this data :) 

Oh, I know! Artificial intelligence! Algorithms! Machine learning! Or...something.

Well, I see your point. But what if you just made a square of say 4 x 4 or 5 x 5 "happen" with this event. The avatar comes near and triggers it, the pinecones or icicles fall, and they just fall on that space in that five seconds, and the avatar might or might not get through them. But maybe that's not so important. What's important isn't that it actually fall on his head, but that there be a surprise, that you step and a rake comes up, as it were. 

So how hard would it be just to have the things fall down? There's hail and whatnot on various weather systems for example. One issue with those is that they start giving you sim error messages about your objects not being able to enter other parcels because I guess they are on physics and roll around and can't roll into the next parcel owned by your neighbour (this is on Mainland). But again, if you make it happen in a defined square for a brief period, maybe it's possible.

On 08/09/2017 at 8:53 AM, Prokofy Neva said:

It turns out this nearly doesn't exist. One problem is that if you made such an object, it would produce a lot of temp-on-rez items that then sometimes give error messages on sims if they go off sim or collide.

Simple scripted solution: each rezzed item can have a trivial script inside it to minimise that.

llDie() If it exits a certain pre-defined circle from rez / after x many seconds / if more than 20 come out.

Edited by Callum Meriman

Pretty trivial, 2 prims, phantom object, the small invisible root prim located where the objects rez at, and a second invisible 'floor plate' prim.

You use a contact detector event in the single script, somebody walks on the floor plate, event triggers and rezzes the grand piano object at the root prim, and it falls...

Job done.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

You don't even need two objects just one, the rest can be calculated as to where to spawn and to fall. But you could be a bit 'clever' with the script and by using the collision detection and http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LlGetObjectDetails to get the avatars direction (although it won't be 100% accurate of course if they're turning etc) you can then anticipate the distance they'd be able to walk (http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Voluntary_Movement_Speeds) on collision and work out the necessary x/y/z for where it spawns.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2358 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.