Anybody who can answer mesh skin questions?

Rain Kiko

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2416 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I buy a catwa mesh head and a maityana body. I go to a skin store and they have a skin for the head by itself. Catwa applier. Ok where in the heck is the body skin? I get demo for head seems to work ok. I search for long time fine a room in store that says "classic bodies." I get the demo and its lips only! For 1,500 lindens. What? I could not find a body skin demo anywhere in store. I don't get it. Make up and head only stores? For thousands of lindens? 

Some people do do that... I have seen things for absurd prices that are basically a 'nothing' level of content. And I have seen freebies that many people would pay 10,000L for if they knew what they were getting (like the AVpos system - which is now free / open source).

But I would look again.

Look not just for a Maitreya skin (I assume you meant Maitreya?)... Look also for Omega. If you find Omega... you can go to the Omega shop and get a thing that lets you apply Omega to Maitreya.

Many skin makers only put out Omega because it's meant to 'work with anything'. The kit Omega sells to 'apply an Omega item to your body or head' is usually 99L. They used to discount them to 1L while it was gaining popularity, but now it's about 99L for most things - super cheap still.

But I would check the store of the skin you like a little more first. They might actually have a Maitreya applier somewhere. Some of them also just sell a bundle of appliers for all the brands they support.

You want to look for the "body appliers" specific to your Maitreya body. The kit will generally include either one, or all tones (varies by brand). Prices also vary, but generally a lot of them cost roughly 300L or so.

If you go the Omega route, you will have to purchase a relay kit, which is an extra cost (100L), but it will allow you to wear that skin universally on any other body or attachment which is Omega compatible.

6 hours ago, Chase01 said:

If you go the Omega route, you will have to purchase a relay kit, which is an extra cost (100L), but it will allow you to wear that skin universally on any other body or attachment which is Omega compatible.

Actually the Omega Relay lets you use ANY skin that is Omega on the brand it is for -- so you would buy Omega Relay for Maitreya and then any Maitreya Omega version skin could be worn. It would NOT let you wear the Maitreya skin on a Slink body for example. But if you bought another Maitreya skin (or tattoo or clothing applier) you could use the Relay to put that item on your Maitreya body.   

SL is getting very complicated for any newcomers due to all the multiple mesh bodies and mesh heads. Add to that the need to buy separately skin for the body and then matching skin also for the head.
It's really time to upgrade system avatar mesh. Few years after that upgrade this present mess would be history and bad memory.

Personally I have nothing against mesh bodies and mesh heads. Anyway, the system avatar mesh could be upgraded to be as beautiful as any present mesh body. It seems that there is no intention nor paln to do so in any foreseeable future. I wonder why not? Instead LL are busy inventing new things to support even more the mesh bodies (texture baking for mesh bodies).

Things would be so much easier if the system avatar had excellent mesh.

13 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

Actually the Omega Relay lets you use ANY skin that is Omega on the brand it is for -- so you would buy Omega Relay for Maitreya and then any Maitreya Omega version skin could be worn. It would NOT let you wear the Maitreya skin on a Slink body for example. But if you bought another Maitreya skin (or tattoo or clothing applier) you could use the Relay to put that item on your Maitreya body.   

Not sure why I had to be quoted for this, but ok.

13 minutes ago, Chase01 said:

Not sure why I had to be quoted for this, but ok.

I at least thought this part wasn't correct or at least confusing :D. That's why.

"it will allow you to wear that skin universally on any other body".    

You would need a relay for the body other than Maitreya if you had a Maitreya relay (say Slink if you already had Maitreya) in order to use the omega skin on that body (Slink).  So you need a relay for each brand body and head (hence many to choose from).  Perhaps I misunderstood what you were trying to say. Happens :D. 

My statement was an addition to what Pussycat had already said earlier in the thread (referring to buying an Omega skin). That's why I didn't specify it again.

That skin refers to Omega. So not incorrect, maybe confusing for some.

Edited by Chase01

Yeah Chase is right, it's only the Omega relays and installers that are specific to the bodies and heads. Any skin that says Omega can be applied to various bodies that are Omega compatible whether that is with the appropriate relay, installer or pre-installed.

If you join the Omega Applier Systems - Support group (5L) you can get the relays and installers for 50L each.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Coby Foden said:

SL is getting very complicated for any newcomers due to all the multiple mesh bodies and mesh heads. Add to that the need to buy separately skin for the body and then matching skin also for the head.
It's really time to upgrade system avatar mesh. Few years after that upgrade this present mess would be history and bad memory.

yes it is complicated, but wasn't that the same for us "oldies" ? .. we didn't change in a day either, but same happens here as in rl... "i want it now, and now, and now" ..

Get used to SL first, and start looking around, ánd reading... and don't forget demo, demo demo... áfter that: buy.

6 hours ago, Coby Foden said:

things would be so much easier if the system avatar had excellent mesh.

totally agree, but it doesn't.. and most likely won't.

See it a bit different, with the current mesh starter avatars SL provides a basic car... you can drive it and travel around, but if you want luxury seats or a convertable, you need to upgrade. :)

Gnome, if you check the website SLSkinAddiction, it has a list of appliers for bodies and mesh heads. If the Omega relay system is too confusing, look for creators who do appliers for both the Maitreya body and the Catwa head. A lot of creators are going the Omega route now, but there are still plenty of creators who do both. SL is developing at a rapid pace, still, and new things come out to make us all obsolete. :/

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2416 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.