mQQnie

game huds allowed on private sims??

Question

i am the manager of a privately owned SIM which has a club, and other amenities for loyal patrons. 2 of our DJ's belong to this role play crap called "Angels & Demons". It seems the family is in a conflict between these two DJ's, and the family comes in and attacks each other unbeknownst to the owners and/or manager. The convenant on the SIM says "NO ROLE PLAY HUDS ALLOWED, and no we will NOT be set up as a "safe place" because we do NOT allow this drama in our club. There was an attack in our club last night, the three owners were there, but the attack happened so fast, there was no was to diffuse it.. my question is, is this even LEGAL?? Is it against the TOS of 2nd Life? Can these adult children who obviously have nothing better to do with their time be reported to Linden Labs?? HOW do we stop it??

10 answers to this question

3 minutes ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

How about muting and banning them and forgetting that those folks even existed?

It's their drama, not yours.

We have tried that, thank you for the response.. but there were TOO many and TOO quick that attacked last night... my owner was getting bombarded by messages... 2 other owners were there and she wasn't even able to TELL them on Skype what was going on. We KNOW this is their stupid childish drama.. and we WANT them to keep it off of our SIM. However, when they attack like they did last night... it's kind of overwhelming.. even for three of the owners at the time! Soooo, we would like to know if there is another course of action we can take, if they REFUSE to stop coming to our SIM and attacking folks outta tha' blue.

Edited by mQQnie

20 minutes ago, mQQnie said:

i am the manager of a privately owned SIM which has a club, and other amenities for loyal patrons. 2 of our DJ's belong to this role play crap called "Angels & Demons". It seems the family is in a conflict between these two DJ's, and the family comes in and attacks each other unbeknownst to the owners and/or manager. The convenant on the SIM says "NO ROLE PLAY HUDS ALLOWED, and no we will NOT be set up as a "safe place" because we do NOT allow this drama in our club. There was an attack in our club last night, the three owners were there, but the attack happened so fast, there was no was to diffuse it.. my question is, is this even LEGAL?? Is it against the TOS of 2nd Life? Can these adult children who obviously have nothing better to do with their time be reported to Linden Labs?? HOW do we stop it??

Without knowing what an "attack" involved the   TOS and Community Standards will help you figure if it is something illegal

If you don't want them at your club you could:

Ban them from your sim

Turn off scripts in land settings so only land group members have scripts enabled

File an abuse report.  I forget the choices now but there's something about misuse of resources

ETA>  If you are EM or owners of the sim.  Hit restart sim and chuck them all off while you collect your thoughts and stop/pause the attack

Edited by Cindy Evanier
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Cindy Evanier said:

Without knowing what an "attack" involved the   TOS and Community Standards will help you figure if it is something illegal

If you don't want them at your club you could:

Ban them from your sim

Turn off scripts in land settings so only land group members have scripts enabled

File an abuse report.  I forget the choices now but there's something about misuse of resources

ETA>  If you are EM or owners of the sim.  Hit restart sim and chuck them all off while you collect your thoughts and stop/pause the attack

hmmmmm i will let my owner know about all of this, thank you SO much!! and to add, on a side note... we don't KNOW the attacks are going on until we get bombarded with IM's... 

3 hours ago, mQQnie said:

That's perhaps the easiest, most effective way to stop a brawl. THEN systematically ban and eject everyone involved.

• Like 1

Roleplay, and roleplay HUDs, are not against the Terms of Service.  However, in SL the Golden Rule is, "He who owns the land, makes the rules."  Your owner(s) have every right to ban roleplay HUDs...and indeed, to ban anyone they like, for any reason whatsoever.

You, especially the land owner or the estate owner, have all the tools you need to enforce your wishes.  Learn them, and use them!

By the way, there is a free HUD on the Marketplace, called "What's She Wearing".  It can show you the attachments of everyone within its range.  With such a device, you can see who's wearing, shall we say, "undesirable" items.

• Like 2

@mQQnie The 'What's She Wearing' HUD shows that attachments can be detected. So... contact one of the people that make the privacy orbs and devices. Those things that kick people out of a parcel or region if they are  not on an approved visitor list. Ask if they will build you a device that detects the combat/RP meter.

I would suggest that you ask that it remember names of those wearing a meter for some period, 30 minutes or an hour. Design it to warn them when they first come in and give them 5 minutes to take the HUD off. If after 5 minutes it is still on, it will eject them. On any return during the next 30 min or hour, it will immediately eject them.

I suggest that because if you give them any window of opportunity, the 5 minutes, they will plan an attack/raid to work inside that window. Think flash mob. This won't be a total deterrent, but hopefully enough to keep them out. If not and the device can print a list of those that came in with the HUD, you can ban them at your leisure. 

You have some hard decisions to consider. If you fire the DJ or DJ's you may simply be playing into the one team of combatants hands. Their goal could be to get a DJ fired. 

We have vigilante groups that devise sophisticated plans for getting people ejected from SL.Some of us have experience with them. I suspect many of us have experience with combat RP. Some of the teams I played with had well thought out strategies for their battles and raids. While you may think of them as engaging in childish drama, I'll suggest that is likely to lead you to under estimate them. Doing so will prolong your misery. 

• Like 2

On 9/6/2017 at 3:17 PM, Lindal Kidd said:

By the way, there is a free HUD on the Marketplace, called "What's She Wearing".  It can show you the attachments of everyone within its range.  With such a device, you can see who's wearing, shall we say, "undesirable" items.

2 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

@mQQnie The 'What's She Wearing' HUD shows that attachments can be detected.

The free one says " Does not detect attached HUDS, clothing or applier layers. Only attachments ".  There is also an L$40 one, but the example listing of what's attached doesn't show any HUD attachments - though it does not specifically say one way or the other.  I then grabbed the Demo of the L$375 one and alas, that one also does not list attached HUDs.  While it does give you script and memory info - on the avatar attachments and for the HUDs, it also prints out "Unknown HUD attachments" in front of the HUDs script info.  Given all of that, I  wouldn't really expect the L$750 one to provide a list of the attached HUDs either.

I wonder if the actual name of HUD attachments just isn't available then.

28 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I wonder if the actual name of HUD attachments just isn't available then.

That's exactly it.  Scripters cannot get that information.

From the LSL Wiki:

Function: list llGetAttachedList( key avatar );

Returns a list of public attachments worn by an avatar.

• key avatar avatar UUID that is in the same region  

By design HUD attachment keys are not reported by this function.

• Like 1

They’re right. I missed that command's limit and forgot the HUD’s are a privacy issue thing. So, one can only get the name or UUID of a HUD if the HUD is designed to hand out that information. For privacy’s sake, we can’t get the list of HUD’s one is wearing :( 

Many game HUD’s do have a component that is worn by the avatar. Usually the worn part is a hit detector. That will be detectable by any script.

If there is no ‘worn’ component, the Game Meter maker can tell you if the HUD is detectable by scripted prims. There are games were access to an area is controlled by whether you are wearing the required HUD or not. We see that in older games like Lost Kingdom that does not use the Experience Tools and the newer Experiences that do.

So, detecting the offending meter-wearing people may require cooperation from the meter maker.

A more tedious process would be listening for the meter communications. But, with 4 million channels that could take some time. Not all meters communicate via chat channels. But, many do. They often allow meter reset, game master calls, and other game management tasks to be initiated by chat commands.

One could get a meter, they are usually cheap or free. Then look to see if there is some aspect of its behavior one could detect or control via a chat channel.

I can think of a few things I might do with that information to make wearing the meter in a region unpleasant without having to know who was wearing it. They verge on griefing, so you might want to talk over the issue with one of the Lindens.

You could file a JIRA feature request explaining the problem and frame the solution request as a way to protect your region. The Lindens are sympathetic to such pleas.

Most combat requires weapons. SL weapons generally make heavy use of chat commands. Those are detectable. Plus, weapons are attachments and they are detectable. Assuming your club is a weapons free zone, you could eject anyone coming in with a weapon. The scripting detection would get complex but it is doable.

• Like 2