Revolving Script - is it allowed?

JoeDex

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2400 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have a tower that I just built and I wanted to do sort of a revolving restaurant thing with one of the floors. I was told in a general conversation at an info hub that things that revolve like for sale signs are not allowed. I cannot seem to find a reference. Many of you are much more learned than I. Can someone tell me if revolving objects are allowed on your property. 

PS This is mainland property.

15 minutes ago, JoeDex said:

I have a tower that I just built and I wanted to do sort of a revolving restaurant thing with one of the floors. I was told in a general conversation at an info hub that things that revolve like for sale signs are not allowed. I cannot seem to find a reference. Many of you are much more learned than I. Can someone tell me if revolving objects are allowed on your property. 

PS This is mainland property.

I think the issue with things revolving is strictly with signage and was back when land cutting/obnoxious signs were particularly common. The bigger problem with your idea would be that everything in your restaurant would need to be linked together or linked into a small number of large , synchronized linked groups for it to rotate together, and I don't believe that an avatar would follow the rotation at all unless it was seated.

Edited by Theresa Tennyson

You are referring to this policy, which has nothing to do with your situation >>> http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:About_ad_farms_and_network_advertisers . As Theresa says, you are not doing advertizing. The biggest problem you will have is with the motion itself.  Aside from the concern that she raised about whether people will move with the rotating restaurant, you should be concerned about rotating that large object smoothly.

@Theresa Tennyson and @Rolig Loon I thank you both for your information. I was able to develop a script that rotates a 10m circle very slowly. Sitting in a chair while it rotates does not show any stutter but I have a high end graphics card and no lag where I am located. I will give it a try and if it doesn't work when in situ  I will take Mitch Hedberg's advice about escalators and just have it become a floor.

Thank you again.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Joe,

One of the things you could do to get the revolving restaurant feel without making it too complicated is make your build and then put a seamless texture on the inside of a hollowed cylinder and rotate that cylinder to simulate motion.  I put something together really really quick in world and here's what it looks like https://imgur.com/a/13Eib.  

Since the restaurant isn't actually moving you won't have to worry about linking the furniture or doing any other stupid human tricks to everything together.  

If you have any questions feel free to hit me up here or in world.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2400 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.