Second Life questionnaire

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2412 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

4 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

Is anyone else sick of students using us as lab rats?

I only see them as a bit of amusement now.

But I actually encountered two students in all those years, who did quite acceptable research in Second Life. Both did an interview (one based on chat, the other on skype) and paid a small amount of L$ as a thank-you for the time spend.

2 hours ago, Syo Emerald said:
  2 hours ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

Is anyone else sick of students using us as lab rats?

2 hours ago, Syo Emerald said:

I only see them as a bit of amusement now.

But I actually encountered two students in all those years, who did quite acceptable research in Second Life. Both did an interview (one based on chat, the other on skype) and paid a small amount of L$ as a thank-you for the time spend.

I have far less of an issue with students actually in SL asking questions. I did hep a few in world with their questions and was given a small amount of $L as well. It's these forum ones that frost me. 

1 hour ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

I have far less of an issue with students actually in SL asking questions. I did hep a few in world with their questions and was given a small amount of $L as well. It's these forum ones that frost me. 

Yeah, the ones that seem to be saying 'Take my survey so I don't have to do much work here'. 

Not to mention that most of those surveys really don't even ask the right questions for what they are really wanting to know.  Case in point - nothing in this particular survey conveys or answers anything about "one of my study purpose is to understand what SecondLife is and why people come to ".

They just don't understand that experience is what they need. 

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

7 hours ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

You created your av almost 9 years ago.. Perhaps, if you had spent ANY of that time actually IN SecondLife.... YOU WOULD KNOW WHAT IT'S ABOUT!!!! Is anyone else sick of students using us as lab rats? The old forum was loaded with questionnaires and surveys all asking "what is SL about?" "What do you do in SL?" "Can you find love in SL?" Leave us alone and actually use the system and talk to people. Log in and walk around, ask questions IN WORLD. 

You want to know what usefulness a library in SL would be... A library of SL shortcuts, hints, tips, and how to's would be awesome. A library of actual books would be ridiculous. You would need all sorts of licenses and paperwork and release forms. All of which someone would have to pay for. You cant legally just create notecards of books willy nilly. There is a thing called copyright protection in the word.

Thank you so much, I will do 

19 hours ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

I just mentioned them, because they both started with a thread in the forums, asking for participants (thats how I ended up helping). But I agree on the not well-made surveys.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Syo Emerald said:

I just mentioned them, because they both started with a thread in the forums, asking for participants (thats how I ended up helping). But I agree on the not well-made surveys.

I quite agree.. Someday, perhaps, teachers will give some guidance as to how to properly conduct a survey in an online community. The forums are a very small slice of actual SL users. :D

15 hours ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

I quite agree.. Someday, perhaps, teachers will give some guidance as to how to properly conduct a survey in an online community. The forums are a very small slice of actual SL users. :D

I stated before I had a fellow student in one of my previous courses try and attempt something similar, for a final, except the assignment didn't really involve, or necessitate the involvement of, others. The responses this student got, both from fellow students, as well as the instructor were...shall we say, a lot less enthusiastic, than the student was expecting. Not only did he fail the assignment-as in, literally got a zero(which is damn hard in that course, actually in most of the courses I've taken), but it got quite the ribbing from every single student in the class too-and not the good kind, which was amusing for the rest of us. 

I had one assignment, early on in my associates that required conducting interviews of people(believe a sociology course, might have been a psych course, it's been a while) and we were given some pretty damn strict requirements, most of which revolved around NOT conducting casual surveys with people with which we had little to no association, or throwing out a widespread net in the middle of the ocean and hoping to land a whale, lol. Among the bold lines "surveys on message boards and forums are NOT to be utilized". I doubt most universities today actually accept these things, especially once they read the questions asked-which have little to nothing(in this case) to do with the subject matter.

I honestly can't imagine any instructor, professor, or teacher taking the vast majority of these things seriously, much less being willing to offer guidance on how to do it properly. Though I wouldn't personally mind assisting people that were actually serious and simply unsure of how to go about it, I'd gladly offer assistance. Just like I've gladly participate in some of these things, when it was quite clear the student actually cared about not only the topic, but maintaining some level of, hmm, seriousness, perhaps?, about it and whatever work was garnered from the responses to such "surveys".  But this kind of *****...yeah..this is just a joke. Sometimes I wonder if there is a language barrier issue...other times, I wonder if there is a learning barrier issue..I'm guessing the latter is likely the culprit here, in which case, the course is likely over the OP's head, more than just a little. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2412 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.