Second Life questionnaire

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2412 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

46 minutes ago, mikka Luik said:

"... leave blank any questions you don’t wish to answer ".

Nope, you can't. Participation declined for that, which is a shame as I am a big fan of libraries.

cause your answer very important for my study, anywany you can tell me what are the questions you don't like to answer I can solve this problem for you

7 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Your survey requires (from me at least) an e-mail address. That's not gonna happen.

A long time ago I set up a spam account that never gets checked and auto deletes anything that is sent to it (so I don't use up the host's drive space) just in case some site might screen for bogus addresses.

8 hours ago, mikka Luik said:

which is a shame as I am a big fan of libraries

So am I... Big buildings in FirstLife, filled with books made from actual paper, with ink on it, nothing like them online.

I looked at this questionaire, and the assumptions that somehow, most of us heard about SecondLife from a librarian, and come here to use digital libraries, with bits of books in notecards...

I can't decide if this is appallingly funny, or appallingly sad.

What is it with academics, that they consistently seem to fail to understand what SecondLife is, and why people come here.

6 minutes ago, Klytyna said:

So am I... Big buildings in FirstLife, filled with books made from actual paper, with ink on it, nothing like them online.

Been to one recently? Our local library can't hold a candle to the Internet, which may explain why the book aisles are empty but the public access computers are always in use. I get the nostalgia for real books, I love the smell, feel and look of them, but I can't carry the Great Library of Alexandria in my purse.

I agree though, SL is remarkably misunderstood by outsiders.

On 9/4/2017 at 10:15 AM, Aziza Actor said:

Dears,

I preparing master about Second Life libraries, and I need your help in answering this questionnaire:

https://goo.gl/forms/NDvMEEB1304UTmWi2

You should search the forums for similar posts by people in school wanting SL residents to fill out some sort of suvey / questionnaire

• Like 1

13 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

You should search the forums for similar posts by people in school wanting SL residents to fill out some sort of suvey / questionnaire

It is ...odd.  It starts of with generic things. Name, age, sex, marital status, education, email (lol, as if) How long have you been in SL, how often do you log in, yada-yada ...

A little different is how well you speak a list of chosen languages.

And finally 3 questions asking the same thing which is basically "How do I run a library in SL?"

What are your suggestions for promoting effective libraries’ services on Second life? For Second Life library manager:
What are your suggestions for promoting effective libraries’ services on Second life? For Second Life librarians:
What are your suggestions for promoting effective libraries’ services on Second life? For Second Life:

And that's it.  If you have any ideas about how to run a library in SL he would probably be interested to hear them.

Edited by Rhonda Huntress
  • Like 1

I would imagine, given my chosen field of study, I could garner a great deal of information from sl residents. (currently another IT field, btw, since it is my favorite field of study)

But...why on earth would I use sl as an educational resource for such a thing? Given the fact that most universities require peer-reviewed, published and verifiable, educational resources and references, that sort of nullifies the entire thing...doesn't it? I do know that a student in one of my previous courses attempted something similar-not within sl but a different area of the 'net, using a survey method...it did not end well, lol. 

I honestly still don't understand the whole idea behind most of these things, even though I have participated in a great deal of those others have posted(usually for no other reason than the fact that some of them are so totally clueless about sl, I can imagine their results would be hilarious to any professor in rl, not likely helping them to obtain the grade I'm certain they're looking for). I have, over the years, had several less than stellar professors and instructors, I also can't imagine that any of them would take such "research"(oh I laughed just typing that) seriously. 

A thesis...in regards to libraries...in a virtual world one knows nothing about...presented to folks within said virtual world in a "help me do my homework" survey...that barely even asks anything at all about the subject....Hmmm, something tells me this thesis isn't going to be all that grand, though I'd actually be interested in reading it to see precisely what kinds of answers these questions(ok that made me laugh too) receive. 

You might want to rethink the whole "help me do my homework" survey, to be at least a bit more on actual topic. Do a search of the forums, you'll find that while most folks have been less than successful at such an approach, there have been some far more successful ones. Take a look at how they approached the whole thing, how it pertained to their subject matter, how people responded..and you'll probably have at least a little bit better of an outcome than you're going to garner from this. 

Edited by Tari Landar
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

It is ...odd.  It starts of with generic things. Name, age, sex, marital status, education, email (lol, as if) How long have you been in SL, how often do you log in, yada-yada ...

Only missing birthday and mother's maiden name for basic identity theft....

But this couldn't be a scam, no.

Would explain the cluelessness about SL though.

What are your suggestions for promoting effective libraries’ services on Second life? For Second Life:

And that's it.  If you have any ideas about how to run a library in SL he would probably be interested to hear them.

SL is very good for some things. SL is really poor for others. It's good for visual, weak for complicated texts. Someone really clever and with too much time on their hands might make a 3d portal to access websites for the text, but a decent website already has a useful hypertext interface which is far more scalable.

IMO it's better suited to largely visual endeavours like museums. Given the struggles SL museums have faced to get much of an audience or financial support though, how much worse would it be for a library? Putting the artworks/books/teaching materials in settings which aren't overtly educational seems to reach a wider audience.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Bitsy Buccaneer said:

SL is very good for some things. SL is really poor for others. It's good for visual, weak for complicated texts.

Maybe it's my background but my first thoughts when I hear Second Life Library is a scripting library.

Maybe he could start a library of all these school papers along with some articles on how to do proper research.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Scripting library makes sense, @Rhonda Huntress, especially if it was set up to show how the different bits work together. That's the part I struggle with most. It didn't occur to me at all while reading your synopsis of the questions, but I'm quite happy to accept it as an addition to my reply. :)

The library of school papers has potential. Imagine a bright spark confidently handing in one he found on Gor for anthropology class. :SwingingFriends:

• Haha 3

On 9/5/2017 at 3:42 AM, Klytyna said:

I looked at this questionaire, and the assumptions that somehow, most of us heard about SecondLife from a librarian, and come here to use digital libraries, with bits of books in notecards...

I can't decide if this is appallingly funny, or appallingly sad.

What is it with academics, that they consistently seem to fail to understand what SecondLife is, and why people come here.

one of my study purpose is to understand what SecondLife is and why people come to 

49 minutes ago, Aziza Actor said:

one of my study purpose is to understand what SecondLife is and why people come to 

You created your av almost 9 years ago.. Perhaps, if you had spent ANY of that time actually IN SecondLife.... YOU WOULD KNOW WHAT IT'S ABOUT!!!! Is anyone else sick of students using us as lab rats? The old forum was loaded with questionnaires and surveys all asking "what is SL about?" "What do you do in SL?" "Can you find love in SL?" Leave us alone and actually use the system and talk to people. Log in and walk around, ask questions IN WORLD. 

You want to know what usefulness a library in SL would be... A library of SL shortcuts, hints, tips, and how to's would be awesome. A library of actual books would be ridiculous. You would need all sorts of licenses and paperwork and release forms. All of which someone would have to pay for. You cant legally just create notecards of books willy nilly. There is a thing called copyright protection in the word.

• Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2412 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.