hud won't detach - avi won't rez

Cali Fierenza

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2416 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi - thanks for the help in advance :-)

I logged wearing a demo hair and HUD, and when I logged back in my avatar won't rez.  I'm running Firestorm so I'm a red cloud.  I've tried logging in and out repeatedly, tried rebaking, tried a rez box, tried a fairly unpopulated sim.  I only suspect the HUD/demo hair - it may not be that at all, but it sure is a coincidence.  Any input is really appreciated!

Cali Fierenza

7 answers to this question

I doubt that it has anything at all to do with the HUD. Bake fail is almost always associated with an unreliable Internet connection.  Your avatar's appearance data are all stored on Linden Lab servers and downloaded as you log in.  If the Internet signal is corrupted or delayed, the file is in no shape for your graphics card to handle, so it displays the default fluffy cloud (orange if you use Firestorm) instead.  There are some very simple, standard solutions. See http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/fs_bake_fail . Notice that "rebaking" is not among them, because that old technique was deprecated many years ago.  The old advice to use CTRL + Alt + R doesn't do anything.  If you have chronic bake fail problems, take a good look at your Internet connection.  Bandwidth is not an issue, but if you have been using a wifi connection or a satellite connection, you may have been losing data packets or having a severely delayed signal.  Even if you are using a good cable or DSL connection, your router and modem may need to be rebooted.  Just unplug them from the power for a few minutes and then plug them back in and restart everything.

BTW, not being able to detach the HUD is what you would expect if you cannot log in fully..

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Cali Fierenza said:

fixed it

for some reason I had to drop my classic shape again

Congratulations!  Note that changing your avatar's shape is one of the standard methods recommended in that Firestorm wiki article.  You cannot "drop" your shape -- your body is always required to have a shape, just like in RL -- but you can swap it for another one in your inventory.

Your avatar must always have four features -- shape, skin, hair (system hair, not prim or mesh hair) , and eyes. If any one of the four changes, your avatar has to reload so that your graphics card can render the new configuration. Thus, changing one of those four forces your viewer and the LL servers to communicate and to make sure that your avatar is complete.  If you look at that brief article in the Firestorm wiki, you'll see that they suggest that you replace your current outfit with a new one.  Some people suggest using the default outfit that you get if you do the Character Test ( Avatar >>> Avatar Health >>> Reset Default Female Avatar ) . Doing that will actually replace all four of the basic features.

• Like 1

I agree with Rolig that connection issues are the main source of this problem. But, it can be a small transient problem in the connection that causes bake fail. When that happens it can be very difficult to track down.

At login, there is a huge amount of data moving toward the viewer. During this time a few lost packets can create problems. The HTTP protocol will guarantee the packets get to you in usable shape, resending as many times as necessary (there is a limit).  That does not mean the viewer is still paying attention when they finally arrive. So, by the time you have seen the problem and start looking for the problem, the high traffic volume has passed and the connection will look good by most metrics. Users are often misled in their problem chasing by the shift from bad at high load and good at lite load issues.

If the problem occurs often, you may be able to reduce the frequency by arranging inventory... Inventory downloads folder by folder. Folders with a huge number of items may add to your problems. Folders with >5,000 items have been known to choke and prevent login. Reducing the number of items per folder by making more folders reduces the per folder-download-time and seems to give the viewer a chance to catch its breath between folders, so to speak. 

Calling cards are another source of login problems. The viewer updates the status of all the people's cards in your inventory. The Lindens have reduced this problem. So, we hear little about it these days. On a marginal connection, cleaning out your unused cards may provide enough of a load reduction to reduce your bake fail even more.

• Like 2

On 9/4/2017 at 0:29 AM, Cali Fierenza said:

Thank you Rolig Loon!

One question - why would putting another shape on fix the problem?  

If the shape itself is corrupted in some way, changing to another shape fixes the issue.  If you put the problem shape back on, and you turn back into fog, then the shape itself is the problem.  If you appear OK, then something about the shape data got fouled up temporarily between the SL servers and your machine, and your internet connection becomes the most likely suspect.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2416 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.