ALARM! ALL my Lindens got stolen! Do not accept A BOX called "Marketplace´s Direct Delivery [BOX] from giftdeliverymarkt! If you open the box you will get robbed all your Lindens!

IMaAMI

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2418 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

8 answers to this question

As others have said, the object does not steal -- technically.  It only takes L$ from your account if you give it permission to, and it can only do that if you rez the object and then click the box that asks for permission to debit your account.  So, technically, you told the object it was OK to take your L$.  Any transaction will be recorded in your Transaction History as a gift. The things to remember are:

1. If you receive an object that seems suspicious, do not rez it.  It cannot harm you wile it is inventory, so just delete it without rezzing.

2. If you rez an object and it asks for permission to debit your account, do NOT accept unless you know exactly who is asking and why.  If you're unsure, delete the object.

3. If you have had to follow steps #1 or #2, submit an abuse report.  Include the name of the object's creator and previous owner, and where you received it.

• Like 4

In Firestorm (and possibly the Linden viewer too) there are DIRE WARNINGS about giving permission for an object to take your money. They are BIG and BOLD and in my version of the layout GOLD and hard to miss.  Personally when I am in an event that needs me to OK that type of object (not stealing but an actual use like money going to charity) I never keep more than $3000 in my account. That is likely overkill but better safe.

I am sorry this happened but it really is important for folks to actually read things. 

Edited by Chic Aeon
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

There is a certain skin brand, quite infamous for their generosity in terms of gifts, like the "get a gift each day during the month of August" event they most recently held ... Lil will probably know which store I'm thinking of... and sadly, despite the generosity, some of their gifts have me worried. Instead of regular boxes, some of those gifts sometimes turn out to be the original vendors for those skins and/or appliers.

So once rezzed, the rezzed object pops up that notorious "May I modify your L$ balance" dialogue. It is completely safe to deny that permission and manually unpack the object by rightclicking and opening it.

But I don't want to know how many new or less careful members of that store group have given their permit...

Just to make sure - I'm not saying that the store owner intentionally steals from the customers. No way. I rather suppose it's a simple mistake while getting mixed up. 
My concern is that such incidences might have a desensitizing effect.

Yeah, the first time I had this happen, it was actually from a different store, but it sure jolted me for a minute there.

There is a certain skin brand, quite infamous for their generosity in terms of gifts, like the "get a gift each day during the month of August" event they most recently held ... Lil will probably know which store I'm thinking of... and sadly, despite the generosity, some of their gifts have me worried. Instead of regular boxes, some of those gifts sometimes turn out to be the original vendors for those skins and/or appliers.

So once rezzed, the rezzed object pops up that notorious "May I modify your L$ balance" dialogue. It is completely safe to deny that permission and manually unpack the object by rightclicking and opening it.

But I don't want to know how many new or less careful members of that store group have given their permit...

Just to make sure - I'm not saying that the store owner intentionally steals from the customers. No way. I rather suppose it's a simple mistake while getting mixed up. 
My concern is that such incidences might have a desensitizing effect.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2418 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.