Stair Physics and height clearance

Chic Aeon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2421 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Well of COURSE I figured it out AFTER I got all this typed. It IS that mesh wall prim addition which  while I have been using that same "mesh prim" for a year or more with no issues IS an issue with this. So I am going to make a new mesh wall the same as the one there, upload anew and hopefully that will fix it.  OR I may have to use an actual prim LOL. I'll write back here when I figure that out.

I was retesting a house just now -- one that had passed all tests a month ago including my tall friend getting in and out of doors and up the stairs. Now the stairs still work fine for me, but HE cannot go up them any longer. I even went so far as to drag a copy over and make the house MUCH bigger (too big really) in an attempt to see if he could get up the stairs. Even with WAY more headroom than show in the photo he can't get up the stairs.

I am 2 meters even. He is 2.32.  (Keep reading :D)

Confused. LOL. Especially when he could get up the stairs a few weeks ago. He has not changed his height; seldom on anyway :D.

AND IT GETS MORE CONFUSING.

After doing some tests I found that if I take a copy and then rez, the how while it SAYS it is "prim" is acting like convex hull. The minute I select it and got to "edit linked parts" (NOT EDITING AT ALL > just setting to that) the build is fine. It turns out that while "I" could walk up the stairs, I couldn't walk down the stairs. Until I did the edit linked part thing. BUT that same building "fixed" could not be dragged over with shift copy OR copied to inventory and then rez. It once again reverts.  

This is the same very pretty house that had the can't rez on the floor because of the added after the fact mesh walls (and that never has made sense). I am going to keep trying to figure this out but if anyone has had this issue and found a solution, please chime in. Thanks. 

stairsphysics.thumb.JPG.ef4845799e9d1c8af4d89510a7340b41.JPG

Edited by Chic Aeon

It ISN'T the mesh prim. I made a new one using the wall as its own physics, turned it to prim after uploaded. Same issue. 

It ISN'T the wall at all :D . I made a PRIM wall and had the same issue.

And even with NO wall there is the same issue (even though there wasn't when I made it - sigh).

So I am deleting the ceiling with the "hole" for the people to walk up. Replacing with mesh prims and some trim and I am thinking that it MUST THEN WORK.

Or not. Anyway if someone has an idea why things would be fine until they are copied, let me know. I saw a thread not too long ago that seems very similar to my dilemma. If it is a real issue, then we should definitely know about it. 

Hi :)

47 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

After doing some tests I found that if I take a copy and then rez, the how while it SAYS it is "prim" is acting like convex hull. The minute I select it and got to "edit linked parts" (NOT EDITING AT ALL > just setting to that) the build is fine. It turns out that while "I" could walk up the stairs, I couldn't walk down the stairs. Until I did the edit linked part thing. BUT that same building "fixed" could not be dragged over with shift copy OR copied to inventory and then rez. It once again reverts.  

For some reason that reminded me of this :

22 hours ago, Aquila Kytori said:

If remember correctly , you often make your Ceilings/floors separate mesh objects?

If that is the case and you're using non analized physics, if the thickness is equal or less than 0.5 the hole in the cieling will "disappear".  It will look like prim but actually be convexhull.

Yes, that's true about the separate pieces but this floor is VERY thick (like a meter maybe) so that isn't it. I do remember that.

Oddly (or maybe not so much) I found two other houses with the same issue (same "floor with hole for stairs" object) that AGAIN were working fine a couple of weeks ago. I was testing over and over to make sure a tall avatar could walk up and down and they could.

Today at the Terradale Open House a RL friend of mine found that he couldn't get up the stairs (and he isn't any taller than I am - 2 meters). So I went and tested both houses (and one that is currently at a venue) and they ALL have the can't get up the stairs issue NOW when they WERE perfectly fine before.

And that is the big problem for me, the changing of the rules. All are set to prim and all did work and now they do not.

IS THERE A RULE (or does experience show) that you cannot mix planes physics items with cube phyics? So analyzed and un-analyzed uploaded separately and THEN linked. If that were true though, I can't see why they would have worked fine for awhile. And it isn't a sim specific issue as that one at the venue is not not working either. 

I am about to go look and see what kind of physics I used for the floor and the walls (it should still be in my blend file) and that might be of interest. I am thinking though that even if I uploaded a NEW floor that at this point I am not trusting it to work longer than I can count to ten LOL. So I may just do the mesh prim floor and be VERY aware that this could be an issue. 

I had thought those days were behind us (sigh) but apparently not. If you have any other ideas --- especially about why these were all OK and are now not -- I would really love to hear them. I will report below on the physics models of this in a bit. 

Thanks sweetie! And I am getting pretty good at planes physics finally. Took awhile to wrap my head around it after so many years of the other mode :D.

I just missed the window on editing my first post so will add here. 

It was the )*&^&$% door script!   

@Aquila Kytori

Remember over a year ago I think when you and Drongle went over to the Mesh Sandbox to help a guy having issues? I was there too but didn't help as you had it covered obviously. I don't remember the WHY of it, but it was my door script. I looked at the floor physics in the blend file and it looked fine. I made a new CUBE physics model and tried that. Same issue. 

But I changed out the door script from "smooth door" to "Master door" (both in the wiki I think) and all is well now. 

The fact that things were OK until you copied the house should have been a clue. Either shift copy or copy and rez would have "reintialize" ?(you know I'm not a script person) the door. WHY that messes up the mesh I don't remember.

Maybe you can add a quick note for other to find in the future -- and I'd kinda like to know too if you remember the issue. 

Thanks!  VERY GLAD this is over (she says hopefully).

Copying this over from the other thread so that folks can find it easily.

This is the important part. Also note that before I "learned" planes physics it wasn't an issue LOL.   Geez. They get you one way or another.

From Arton on that other post:

"If your door script uses a llTargetOmega function to rotate smoothly, the build needs analized physics shapes, or it will act as convex hull physics as soon as the omega kicks in."

THANK YOU. It still make no sense to me but I am guessing I will REMEMBER now :D. 

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2421 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.