Bad Gacha Trader

ildiko Evergarden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2426 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

So recently I purchased an item on the marketplace from a Gacha trader.

If you don't know what gacha is. Then let me explain to you.

Gacha is kinda like the gumball machines you to put pennies in as a kid. You get random gumballs but not the ones you wanted.

The rare gumballs were hard to get. So you kept putting your money in until you got the rare.

You sell the ones you don't want, to your friends for a penny or something like that.  ( <--- me explaining to those who don't know what a gacha is.)

Some gacha traders post their items on the market place, some put it in-world. Either way, it helps with residents who cannot get into the gacha events sims due to over crowding.

So, when I purchased #11 Golden Dragon {egosumaii} from a gacha trader on the marketplace. ( I repeat a GACHA TRADER! )

Soon as I got the item. I suddenly got a C++ error pop up on my computer screen. I panicked when my viewer suddenly froze as well as my web browser.

Now, I immediately did some normal things anyone would do when they panic. I permanently removed the item from my inventory.   I did  NOT open it. I repeat I did NOT open it. Changed my password. (Might do it again)... removed billing information to avoid any unauthorized purchases.

I'm not sure if that was a good idea. Maybe Linden Labs might need the item to take a look at it. I don't know, I was just being cautious

I immediately reported the resident just in case something happens to my account.

Now, I wanted to ask someone who's computer savvy/smart knows their way around a computer.

Did I do the right thing?

Was it something with my computer? Or the item? I need to know.

I also plan to let the creator know that someone is using her gacha items for bad intentions.

I will NOT post the name of the resident here. Because it's not allowed. Until further investigation from Linden labs.

5 answers to this question

It's fine to be cautious and never dumb to delete something that arouses your suspicions.  In this case, I think you have overreacted quite a bit, but neither the gacha item nor your reaction has caused any harm.  The only scripts that will run in SL are scripts written in LSL, not C++, so whatever generated the error message had nothing to do with a script in the gacha object. It was a scary coincidence, most likely triggered by something else in your computer.

BTW, we all know what gacha objects are.  They are quite common in SL, and heavily traded.  Also, the company that owns Second Life is Linden Lab. No "s".  ;)

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

It's fine to be cautious and never dumb to delete something that arouses your suspicions.  In this case, I think you have overreacted quite a bit, but neither the gacha item nor your reaction has caused any harm.  The only scripts that will run in SL are scripts written in LSL, not C++, so whatever generated the error message had nothing to do with a script in the gacha object. It was a scary coincidence, most likely triggered by something else in your computer.

BTW, we all know what gacha objects are.  They are quite common in SL, and heavily traded.  Also, the company that owns Second Life is Linden Lab. No "s".  ;)

Thank you and lol yea Linden Lab.  Not everyone in SL  knows what gacha is, just the major shoppers. I had to explain to someone once about gacha. But thanks for letting me know. It scared the crap out of me.

• Like 2

2 things are good to know:

1 - LSL scripts never run on your computer - thats impossible. All scripts only run on the sim server you are currently on. They have zero access to your computer. So a script can only affect your avatar - never your computer - you can't be hacked by a script.

2 - Scripts can only run on objects that are rezzed in world. If the object is in your inventory scripts can not run there. As long as it is in your inventory it's frozen.

But you did right, you weren't sure so you took all measures to prevent damage. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

MOAP vs. viewer enabled Autoplay, thats a different story.

That's true, and there we get into broader question of account security on the Internet outside of SL.  MOAP exposes the user to all sorts of potential hazards lurking on the Internet, simply by opening a browser window.  The general rule I teach my own grandkids is "don't click stuff unless you know what you're clicking."

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2426 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.