Hacked Account, Help

Neyrios123

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2401 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello there people,  I am typing this up because I am pretty desperate,  for the last two years I have been together with the girl of my dreams in SL and we have been under constant harassment and attacks from a scorned ex of hers, this person somehow keeps hacking into her account, changing her password and security questions and deleting/blocking me, changing her name to obscene things. We clearly know who is responsible since that person literally changes the name to "X's property" etc. Constantly having to message LL to get her account back is getting tiresome for her which I understand and we both are pretty sick and tired of it. Is there anything that can be done about this? I don't know what to do to be honest and this might be a longshot but does anyone have any advice and can help? I am grateful for any advice or help I can get.. Thank you in advance.

10 answers to this question

20 minutes ago, Neyrios123 said:

Hello there people,  I am typing this up because I am pretty desperate,  for the last two years I have been together with the girl of my dreams in SL and we have been under constant harassment and attacks from a scorned ex of hers, this person somehow keeps hacking into her account, changing her password and security questions and deleting/blocking me, changing her name to obscene things. We clearly know who is responsible since that person literally changes the name to "X's property" etc. Constantly having to message LL to get her account back is getting tiresome for her which I understand and we both are pretty sick and tired of it. Is there anything that can be done about this? I don't know what to do to be honest and this might be a longshot but does anyone have any advice and can help? I am grateful for any advice or help I can get.. Thank you in advance.

it's as far i know it's nearly impossible to get hacked... let stand several times, and LL knows it happened? A bit hard to believe, but if they can't help, what you expect from other users?

Often these "hacks" end to be caused by visiting phishingwebsites and people simply give their login info. ..

Also often: partners in SL seem to keep important information behind... but causing lot of trouble, while playing mr or mrs innocent but while talking to you, the same time have the IM window with the ex open. Not saying she does... but never forget it's just SL here.

btw it's as far i know impossible to change security questions yourself so also a abuser can't do that.

apart of those:

don't hang out on the well known places..

mute, derender and if possible ban

be sure you don't have ANY information in your profiles to lead to the places you like to go or live

create both new accounts, leave your world you'r in now, start over.

• Like 1

Considering that you stated that she has changed her password, I would suspect the person whom is hijacking her account also has the password to her email address.

My suggestion is to do the following:

1. First and foremost, Report the person who is hijacking the account to Linden Lab. They take situations like these very seriously, and if they have enough evidence(server logs), the user will very likely be banned.
  2. Secondly, change the email password. Make it something good like "*P)0Ux{8V02SH<0L".
  3. If possible, use 2 factor authentication with the email service if it offers it. Gmail provides both SMS and TOTP based 2 factor authentication.
  4. Change the account's Second Life password. A good rule of the thumb is to not use the same password in multiple places.
  5. Change the security questions to something not easily guessable. For example, "What is your mother's maiden name" is a lot difficult to guess than "What is your favourite colour".

Additionally, when you are logging into ANY second life webpage, make sure the URL specifically says https://id.secondlife.com. Not id.secondlife.com.fancywebhosting.ext, or id.secondllfe.com(notice the l where a i should be).

• Like 1

Recurrent hacking suggests you're dealing with either an inside job or a persistent hole in the security chain. If the girl of your dreams is actually still in contact with the harasser in some way you're unaware of, all bets are off. If she hasn't changed the passwords on BOTH her SL account and her e-mail account, she really hasn't changed the password on anything. If she continues to reuse old passwords or passwords similar to old ones they can be easily guessed. If there are tertiary e-mail accounts used to secure the SL e-mail account, the passwords for those must also be changed.

For example, I have a yahoo e-mail address, backed up by a gmail address. I don't share my account credentials with anyone. If my SL account were hacked, I would presume that the breach that allowed it to happen was within my domain of control (or everybody would be yelling about an LL hack). Before contacting LL about the SL account, I would change the passwords on both my yahoo and gmail accounts, to prevent a potential hacker from intercepting the SL account recovery discussion between me and LL. Just because you are able to access something that's supposed to be exclusively yours (SL account, e-mail, etc.) you should not presume nobody else can access it. If you are no longer able to access some account, that's probably proof that someone else has.

If I were nefarious (wait! I am nefarious) and had access to your e-mail account, I would not change the password and lock you out, as that sets off the alarm bells. I'd request an SL password reset, intercept the resulting e-mail, reply to it, re-arrange all the furniture in your SL house, then wait for the excitement. I would not reveal that I had the keys to your e-mail account by changing the password there. Having access to that is what allows me to mess with everything else. Letting you continue to access to your e-mail to recover your SL account allows me to enjoy messing with you over and over and over again.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2401 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.